Sharks attacking GoPro users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. I knew bs when I heard it. Just wanted to check with the world in case I missed the hour long special on CNN or Fox about all the divers using GoPros getting eaten by sharks (LOL). I just chalked it up to a learning experience. The group I am with is going along with the story so there will be no refunds. I've paid more for similar lessons in life.... Oh well, I vote with my feet. Other video set ups were allowed on the dive, just not GoPro. Apparently some sound in the mechanism or light function causes the sharks to attack. Yeah, I saw Jaws too. Anyway, again thanks for the input.

Thanks for the responses. I knew bs when I heard it. Just wanted to check with the world in case I missed the hour long special on CNN or Fox about all the divers using GoPros getting eaten by sharks (LOL). I just chalked it up to a learning experience. The group I am with is going along with the story so there will be no refunds. I've paid more for similar lessons in life.... Oh well, I vote with my feet. Other video set ups were allowed on the dive, just not GoPro. Apparently some sound in the mechanism or light function causes the sharks to attack. Yeah, I saw Jaws too. Anyway, again thanks for the input.
\

There is an operator off Jupiter florida that does a huge traffic of divers with gopros, shooting bullsharks, reefs, and tigers, etc...You should check with him on this....It is Randy Jordan of Emerald charters.
I would expect he knows much more about this supposed behavior potential than the jerk that stole your money.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 08:48 AM ----------

In Roatan today, I was not allowed to bring my GoPro on a shark dive by the operator of the shark dive place. The reason given was all of the shark attacks on divers using GoPros. I called BS and got off the boat. Since I had already paid for the dive I'm out my $125. Not really the issue but I was never informed about the GoPro ban until I got on the boat. Again...their pool, their rules. However, I'd really like to know more about the shark attacks on GoPro users. I've emailed them a few minutes ago so don't expect an immediate response, but I wonder if anyone else on the board has run into this.

Thanks,
Dave

Which operator was this?

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 08:48 AM ----------

Which operator was this?
I believe there is only 1 outfit that conducts the dive at face to face..they pulled the same bs on a group I had there last year. My stobe generates more electrical impulses that any 10 go pro cameras. I do not use a go pro but would have demanded my money back. They want to be able to sell their crap video. Look at all the videos on YouTube or even go pro promotional video. I do not see any cameras being attacked by sharks. I suggest the OP call his credit card company and tell them product you paid for was not delivered and demand your money back..When we did this dive the operator gave a little presentation in their shack and said no go pro cameras,at that point if I planned on using one I would have made an BIG scene..never will give them any business in the future and I advise all our customers to be sure it is allowed before they hand over a credit card.

I know an awful lot of photographers that would not dive without their camera..the mere suggestion will make them crazy:)

LOL certainly appears that way to me.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 07:36 AM ----------

Why would the op be denying gopro's but not larger setups, if it's all about selling their video?

Last edited:
Has anyone given thought to the possibility that the sharks may be getting even with the manufacturers of the GoPro for their promotional videos that show divers riding on the fins of sharks? I didn't think so.

On a more serious note, I can see the sharks being more attracted to a small camera like a GoPro held out in a diver's hands than toward a larger camera in a good sized housing.

The media loves a good "shark attack" story. If sharks were actually biting people with any frequency in a specific location, it would likely be all over the news (like the Red Sea "shark attacks" a couple years ago).

I agree with oly5050user - once or twice I've seen reef sharks "twitch" when a flash recycles nearby but I've never seen any reaction to GoPros. No matter what resort/dive operator you book the shark dive thru on Roatan - these are the people that run it. Roatan Shark Dive

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 09:22 AM ----------

Why would the op be denying golf is but not larger setups, if it's all about selling their video?
Silly, everyone knows Sharks hate golf...:wink:

That's why there's no sharks spotted around the Black Pearl course there.

Coincidence...I think not.

To think on a shark feeding dive, that sharks are more attracted to a gopro than the dang dead fish they are feeding them is quite absurd, to think that a diver is more in danger because he has a go pro than because he is in an artificial feeding environment that causes sharks to act unnaturally is equally absurd. That outfit is more tourist trap, than a dive operation, stories like this are not surprising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom