Sharks attacking GoPro users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a line of pure grade A BS to me too. Thanks for the heads up Chief, we are thinking of going to Roatan next year and we will not be doing any shark feeding dives there.

On the Stuart Cove shark dive, they told us not to use GoPros on a stick, as the sharks tend to mistake the GoPro stick with the feeding stick. Other than that, they had no problem with GoPros.

Chief Dave L, was that the real problem? Your gopro was on a stick?

(Diversteve, damn auto correct)

It's actually the least offensive shark feed operation I've ever seen.

Typically they let the sharks mill around for a while before feeding them small scraps of fish near the end of the dive. If' it's calm conditions, they'll let you intermingle with the sharks first.

Compared to the Cove's feeds or even worse what Emerald Charters is doing off SoFl. Talk about a circus run by clueless clowns...

The GoPro was on a tray with a couple of sola lights. They clearly saw that. No stick involved. They got very aggressive about my potential use of the unit so I just walked off. I'm not getting into a tussle in a foreign country. All the wonderful, free advertising they are getting here on ScubaBoard is sweetness enough.

Dave

We had a tiger shark that really liked a Gopro on a tray with two of the new high power light and motion led lights the other day. She came up and took the camera three times but always dropped it a few feet away....

On the SB Roatan invasion this spring everyone had camera's including my GoPro on a 30" telescoping pole on the Shark dive and the Dolphin dive. As far as I know no-one purchased the Op’s video. The Sharks did not seem to be any more interested in Cameras on poles vs. trays vs. handheld vs. no camera at all, they were there for the chow. It was a good dive and I logged 49 minutes. We were allowed to intermingle with the sharks for at least 20 minutes of it and only had to position back against the wall initially and then during the actual feeding.

I know an awful lot of photographers that would not dive without their camera..the mere suggestion will make them crazy:)
I paid a LOT of money for my camera setup and I pay a lot of money to be able to use it - Damn straight I'm gonna bloody bring it!

Back
Top Bottom