Sherwood Equipment... how??!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a guy to the lake last weekend to try an Avid. First time I have seen this BC.

Looked great,fitted very well and were able to use lots of weight for his drysuit.

I might consider one myself to teach in the pool with.

As for Sherwood regs...The Blizzard was my first reg 23 years ago.
Had a student use just last week !!! I cannot comment on the other models as I use Oceanic Regs,computers exclusively as I own 6 of them

Ron

I don't have to get into a flame war. Don't need to make anybody feel or look bad to make me feel like I am right.

I KNOW I'm right.

KIDDING!!!!!

The best piece of advice I saw up there was go out and try a few out!

Good Luck!

Hi ppl,
Thanks for all your opinions. I've been walking around and have tried out the Avid BC and the different regs. (followed the sound advice) :wink: Just to inform what i gotton.

I find that the flowrate of the oasis reg and MK2/R380 were pretty much the same and not much of a difference. This being done on a 300-400 psi tank. I find the Mk25 a bit out of my price range thus didn't consider it. Also in my area, SP regs are more pricey then the Sherwood regs, thats even after pleading with the LDS owner. About S$100+ more. With all this in consideration, i took the Sherwd oasis reg. Hope it was a right investment. (Anyway i tested it b4 buying due to the few QA comments made).

I also gotton the Avid cause it fits best. :)

Going to test them all out this weekend hopefully it all works fine and nothing 'explode' or give way. *LOL*:eek:ut:

Cheers. :boozer:

I see you already got the Avid, nice choice! I picked mine up a couple of years ago as my first BC, and haven't had any problems with it. I know they've changed the manor in which they attached the weight pouches from all Velcro to a clip. I haven't had much of a problem with the pouches.

I dive mainly cold water with a 22# weight belt, and then the rest (6#) goes into the two pouches. For me, I find this easy to deal with, as the weight belt isn't too heavy to be extremely cumbersom to deal with, and I don't overload the BC & make it hard to manage either.

When I swap over to a drysuit, I end up 6-8# heavier, and that gets put in the BC. Just with that much more weight in it, I'd hate to see what its like with my full 28# in it.... Too much to have to lug around / put on at one time.

I own and have used my Avid BC for 2 years now--I did alot of research and shopping around and am happy I chose the Avid. has been reliable and the trim and other features are what I had in mind.The only thing I don't care for is the right shoulder pull dump--it has a black knob that kind of blends in with your hoses and the BC itself. I just had it replaced with a grey one so it's easier to see and locate,other than that I dont think you can beat it for the money$$$$.Hope this helps.

ASTA---

SCUBA STEVE:mean: :mean:

Sounds like you did your research well! You couldn't have gone wrong either way.

Enjoy your new toys and remember...

Keep the dust cap on your first stage when you rinse it, don't push the purge when you wash the 2nd stage, and don't forget to rinse the inside of your bcd out!

*LOL*

Make the job of guys like me easier and your toys will last forever!

what I was referring to about being set up goes beyond the Intermediate Pressure. There is an adjustment inside of the reg that when properly adjusted...('bout a 1/4 turn or less past freeflow) you should have a good set up. Your Ip set-up can be changed from(reg tech job) cold water to warm water...like I said in my original post, the blizzard and oasis is exactly the same. You just set the IP's differently depending on the water temp you will be in! I will happily agree that all manufactures have issues with quality control, sherwood and genesis included. Again, if your reg isn't set up right, it isn't going to behave. Most all sherwoods ned to be tweaked a little out of the box. Again, I think that this is ploy to mess with LP. But lets not get that war going...:D

Good luck with whatever you get, but I would nudgeyou toward the oasis or blizzard...buth should be available (1st stage & 2nd stage only) for below $400.00.

Oh yea, it kinda sounds like you might be somewhat new to diving, if you are, don't go by the reviews in Rodales Scuba Diving Magazine...if you notice, the people that get the highest marks in there are the ones whom advertise more...

The Oasis and the Blizzard may LOOK exactly the same, but they are not.

There are pieces in the Blizzard 2nd stage that are different than the Oasis.

In older models such as the Oasis II and the comparable Blizzard there are even more differences. But that really doesn't pertain to this discussion.

As for any tweaking to the reg, that is either a tech trying to look good to the customer or one who's not real sure what he's doing. Not trying to make them look bad or anything, or trying to start a bunch of flames back and forth, just speaking from the manufacturer's end of things.

As far as adjusting the IP based upon where you are diving. I can tell you that I personally have never touched the IP on my reg based on where I'm going. I've had it in the water in Puget Sound, and off the mouth of Campbell River, BC. in the Caribbean and Mexico as well as under the ice in the midwest. I took it right off the same shelf that everybody else's reg comes off of (or at least everybody in about 66% of the World), added my octo and computer and honestly, haven't even serviced it yet, so it's never been open.

I can also tell you that there are no official or recommended changes to IP for the Blizzard based on water temp. It should always be set at 140psi +/- 5psi.

Anyway... have a great day everybody!

Sherwood regs have a reputation for being very tough regs. I use a magnum as my octo and am very happy with it.

I did decide to go with the SP MK 25 first stage though with a S600 second. I have been told it is a better design and is better for deeper dives that I do.

Also Sherwood has had some quality control issues. Quite a few of thier products have been recalled. Still they were my second choice for regs at the time I bought mine. I now would look at the SP MK 25 still and Apex.

Back
Top Bottom