Shoot a Bag w/Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Why don't you just dedicate the spool to the bag and leave it attached?

Where are you going to put it? The bag goes in underneath the backplate, which leaves you clipping it off to the butt dring where all sorts of crazy crap can happen to it as it unspools behind you unnoticed.

FreeFloat:
Soggy: Could you please explain what you mean by "you don't need to freeflow the reg to fill the bag".

There are several ways I could take that meaning........

Meaning, you don't need to full-on purge the reg for a long period of time. You can gently press the purge button to let out only a small amount of air, thus preventing the reg from freezing up.

Soggy:
Where are you going to put it?
Unless I'm mistaken, MHK had his bag in his drysuit pocket.

Soggy:
Where are you going to put it? The bag goes in underneath the backplate, which leaves you clipping it off to the butt dring where all sorts of crazy crap can happen to it as it unspools behind you unnoticed.

If you use a smaller bag you can keep it prerigged in your bellows pocket. On the other hand, if I'm using a larger bag I do exactly as you've discribed.

cornfed:
Unless I'm mistaken, MHK had his bag in his drysuit pocket.

Hi Cornfed and all:

I was told that my pocket-stored w/spool attached bag was OK too. I believe my instructor has his main lift-bag B/P mounted, and his back-up & spool in his pocket.

Freefloat can confirm or deny this probably.

MonkSeal:
1. prepare the bag i.e. rig it with spool
2. clip off double ender to right chest D-ring
3. start breathing from backup reg
4. inflate the bag with primary reg
5. clip off primary reg
6. release the bag
7. use double ender to secure the spool
8. switch to primary reg
This sound simple enough. The reason I ask is that I'll be doing some drills tomorrow with a group of people, and I'm the only one with a long hose. I also like Soggy's "team" comment, but may be buddied with...???

Green_Manelishi:
3) I am not in the habit, unless it's a drill or emergency, of removing a functioning regulator from my mouth for any reason

I don't have any problem with removing a functioning reg from my mouth. I keep my backup in good working order, and if for some reason it failed, I'd just stick the primary back in my mouth. If, somehow, it failed too, my buddy keeps an extra one for me. :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
I don't have any problem with removing a functioning reg from my mouth. I keep my backup in good working order, and if for some reason it failed, I'd just stick the primary back in my mouth. If, somehow, it failed too, my buddy keeps an extra one for me. :eyebrow:

I test each reg before I enter the water. I then usually test it during the first few minutes of the dive, in shallow water. After that it remains in my mouth where it belongs.

But now that I think about it I am wondering why I posted under this forum. I frequently dive solo, the last few lobster trap recoveries were, and that is not DIR. :eyebrow:

So, it stands to reason that my bag method is not DIR.

See ya.

boomx5:
If you use a smaller bag you can keep it prerigged in your bellows pocket. On the other hand, if I'm using a larger bag I do exactly as you've discribed.

That makes sense.

To be honest, I keep my 6' Super Big Freakin huge Alert Marker in my drysuit pocket, too, but I'd put an OC bag in the backplate.

After reading these posts I have a couple of questions to help prevent misinterpretation. A couple of you have commented that you clip a double ender clip to your chest d-ring. What is attached to the other end of the clip? I'm assuming nothing is.

I think it should be made obvious, ie. bluntly stated, that at no time should the bag be attached to the diver in any manner during deployment. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Bill.

You clip off the double ender temporarily so that you don't lose it. It's easier and quicker to find it on a chest D ring. That's all. There's nothing 'attached" to the other end of the D Ring...............

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom