Shoot a Bag w/Long Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish:
After reading these posts I have a couple of questions to help prevent misinterpretation. A couple of you have commented that you clip a double ender clip to your chest d-ring. What is attached to the other end of the clip? I'm assuming nothing is.

I think it should be made obvious, ie. bluntly stated, that at no time should the bag be attached to the diver in any manner during deployment. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Bill.

You are correct. The double ender started on the spool, but during deployment you clip it off to the chest dring. Once the bag is fully deployed, you unclip it from your chest and clip it back to the spool.

Lightning Fish:
After reading these posts I have a couple of questions to help prevent misinterpretation. A couple of you have commented that you clip a double ender clip to your chest d-ring. What is attached to the other end of the clip? I'm assuming nothing is.

I think it should be made obvious, ie. bluntly stated, that at no time should the bag be attached to the diver in any manner during deployment. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Bill.

One end of the double-ender is clipped to the spool to prevent it from unwinding, the other end to allow you to attach it for storage (in my case, to a bungee loop in one of my drysuit pockets).

I use a 6' semi-closed DSMB and deploy it as Monk Seal described. That's how I was taught (by DIR-trained divers) and how we practice amongst me and my team mates.

If there's some other DIR-approved method, I haven't seen it used here yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scuba_Steve:
Hi Cornfed and all:

I was told that my pocket-stored w/spool attached bag was OK too. I believe my instructor has his main lift-bag B/P mounted, and his back-up & spool in his pocket.

Freefloat can confirm or deny this probably.
You're right Steve, that's how I remember it as well. That's how I put my SMB and spool as well - connected and ready to use in a pocket (or separate, depending on teh requirements for the dive, but still in a pocket)

When I get a lift bag (larger than the SMB I mean) it'll go on my plate, clipped off to teh butt D ring. I haven't decided precisely how to stow it htough. I removed teh MC pack from my plate, and would enjoy keeping it off if I can think of another means of stowing the bag........

Well, we did the bag drills yesterday. As it turned out, all we did was practice lifting a 25# weight to the surface from 20'. I did OK. I wanted to make a more controlled, slower accent then others and had a little difficulty getting just right amount of pull on the the dump valve to make it happen the way I wanted. The other divers would do the drill by making themselves heavy, kneeling on the bottom, then swimming the bag up. This way, for the first 10' they had no issues with having to dump air from their BC/DS 'cause they started out negative. OTHO, I was trying to start horizontal, neutral, and attempting to maintain that position to the surface, using breath control rather than swimming it up. I was told it was easier to swim it up, starting negative, because there is less task loading when you can see the surface (looking up) and you don't have to deal with as much expanding BC/DS air. I was told I was making it too difficult.
Opinions??
The good thing was, thanks to your input, using the long hose to inflate the lift bag was a piece of cake.

Soggy:
Ignore the bottom kneelers. Rule #6 applies.

It depends on what you're doing. On working dives, Rule #6 is completely irrelevent, as it's hugely impractical to attempt laying cable, hauling and placing heavy objects, or any number of other tasks while hovering in a horizontal position.

There's a big difference between shooting a DSMB and using a lift bag to haul something off the bottom. Different tasks require different techniques. Sounds to me like Rick was attempting the latter.

In various classes (AOW, Rescue, etc) I'll have my students use a lift bag to bring a cinder block to the surface. In that situation, I'll expect them to do so while managing their buoyancy from a horizontal position, and no bottom kneeling while rigging or lifting the object off the bottom. It is difficult, but the point of the exercise is less about actually lifting the object than it is about managing your ascent while dealing with multiple sources of buoyancy.

On the other hand, for working dives negative buoyancy is often a requirement or you won't get the job done.

So the correct answer is "it depends on what you were trying to do".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It depends on what you're doing. On working dives, Rule #6 is completely irrelevent, as it's hugely impractical to attempt laying cable, hauling and placing heavy objects, or any number of other tasks while hovering in a horizontal position.

Agreed. I made the assumption that this was a non-commercial dive and the diver was only lifting small objects. It's one thing to be lifting a car, another to be lifting a 40 lb bag of scallops or a boat motor.

Soggy:
Technically, unless you've had a team separation (which should *never* happen), the procedure is performed amongst the team. One person is responsible for pulling out the bag, the other for pulling out and attaching the spool. T

I'm not too sure about this. What I was taught was that the guy assigned to shoot the bag does everything, from rigging the spool to filling the bag. The other guy runs the deco or whatever task he was assigned to do.

Soggy:
Technically, unless you've had a team separation (which should *never* happen), the procedure is performed amongst the team. One person is responsible for pulling out the bag, the other for pulling out and attaching the spool. T
filtered:
I'm not too sure about this. What I was taught was that the guy assigned to shoot the bag does everything, from rigging the spool to filling the bag. The other guy runs the deco or whatever task he was assigned to do.
Me too, in both DIRf and Tech1.
I keep a 50# bag rolled up and pre-rigged with a 100' spool clipped off in my right pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom