Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it is 2 years later and I am still rinsing. I have hardly been to the doc in 2 years. The couple of times I have had to go to the doc is because I got lazy and stopped rinsing.

I have switched to using the Ayr system. It is easier to use than the Neti or Nasaline. Buy Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit online at CVS.com

I used to be sick all the time. My ears hurt and had fluid build up. The doc had me on 4 or 5 drugs to manage my sinus issues. Now I take benadryl and have been able to drop all the other stuff.

A couple of my friends have said they are never going to join the cult of rinsers. However a couple of weeks ago, one of them called me sick as dog and asked me to go pick up an Ayr rinse kit for them. And another one has joined the club!

Rinse on fellow rinsers!:colours::colours: We really need our own giant rinsing smilee!

Well it is 2 years later and I am still rinsing. I have hardly been to the doc in 2 years. The couple of times I have had to go to the doc is because I got lazy and stopped rinsing.

I have switched to using the Ayr system. It is easier to use than the Neti or Nasaline. Buy Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit online at CVS.com

I used to be sick all the time. My ears hurt and had fluid build up. The doc had me on 4 or 5 drugs to manage my sinus issues. Now I take benadryl and have been able to drop all the other stuff.

A couple of my friends have said they are never going to join the cult of rinsers. However a couple of weeks ago, one of them called me sick as dog and asked me to go pick up an Ayr rinse kit for them. And another one has joined the club!

Rinse on fellow rinsers!:colours::colours: We really need our own giant rinsing smilee!

I have to thank you and others here who posted their evidence of the benefits of saline sinus irrigations! Even though skeptical, I began routine irrigations, primarily in the winter months, and can honestly say I've had almost no colds or sinus problems for a couple of years now, a substantial improvement for me.

Being the cheapest person on the face of the earth, I opted for using a warmed solution of 1 c. water, 1/2 tsp canning salt and about 1/8 tsp sodium bicarbonate squirted from a 60cc syringe while tipping my head back during a shower.

I even attribute my effortless equalizing to having less sinus congestion! :D

Thanks again!

Dave C

I have switched to using the Ayr system. It is easier to use than the Neti or Nasaline. >>>>>>>>

I'm curious how it can be "easier"? I understand the sqeeze bottles versus neti-pot as I use the squeeze bottles unless I need a really good rince, then I use the Neti. But what about the Ayr system makes it easier?

BTW, buying the salt in bulk is much less expensive than ther packets, but the packets are easier to travel with. I also prefer the salt only to the salt and bicarbonate mix. Maybe we need a poll. :D

NeilMed Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Sinus Rinse bottle kits, will be at DEMA Show in Orlando in November 2009 in booth #706 back to the left as you enter from the front entrance. I will be there representing NeilMed and will be glad to talk to anybody who wants to learn about high volume, positive pressure, buffered saline nasal-sinus irrigation and the study I did with scuba divers. Free professional sample adult bottle kits will be available for divers to try, especially those who are already congested from traveling to the show or being in the exhibition hall.

Also, Dr. Frans Cronje' of DAN Southern Africa will be giving an excellent talk, “Not Just Another Ear Seminar: You have to hear this”, at DEMA Show on Thursday, Nov 5 at 11AM and on Friday, Nov 6 at 12Noon. Dr. Cronje' is one of the world's experts, if not The Expert, on ears and sinuses in scuba divers, so I highly recommend you attend if you plan to be there. He wrote the DAN online CME program on ears in divers.

David F Colvard, MD

Last edited:
Put me in the group of Happy Neil Med users. It is a great product and has greatly improved my sinus situation.

NeilMed is the greatest. I recommend it to all my dive students who have sinus issues or clearing issues.

I use the squeeze bottle on a regular basis. If I want a deep rinse, I use it standing up in the shower. It seems to penetrate the inner sinuses. It does cause me to gag on the junk running down the back of my throat, but boy is it worth it.

Prior to NeilMed I used a home remedy mix that my ENT gave me but I get more gunk out with NeilMed.

I wish I got royalties from the company because they use my first name!

And just so people don't think this is something new, back in the late 70's I had horrible sinus issues. I had a Swedish ENT through my HMO that did a full sinus rinse on me, using normal saline after a methol/eucalyptus cotton packing. I swear an old rusty volkswagon came out of there! No antibiotics, just afew days of rinses and everything went away. Then I completely forgot about it for 25+ years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom