Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys!

Joined the nasal rinsing group after my FESS surgery recently and am hoping to know if anyone's nose starts feeling stuffed up after rinsing?

FESS was done on my left maxilliary sinus and it started getting congested 6 weeks after surgery! The Netipot helped clear the left side but it stuffed up my right side instead, which used to be breathing fine.

I was using a plastic netipot and mixes 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate soda with warm water. Then I tilt my head over the basin and start the rinsing. Am I doing it the wrong way or is there a better way to do it?

Please enlighten me....

I use the rinse bottle instead of the neti pot. No troubles here, and it sounds like you are doing it right by what you wrote.

I just started the salt spray daily and I have noticed improvements.

Thanks Jenny! Are you rinsing while standing upright or tilting your head in the Netipot way? :)

My wife has heard the fuss about nasal rinses. She bought one of the various kits from Costco. It went under the sink and was forgotten about.

I actually developed a real infection of the lungs, throat, sinus, etc. I figured I would try the kit.

My baseline:
After a bad sinus infection starts to clear, you get the terrible drainage.

My results: It flushed out the snot in my nose, but didn't actually flush out my sinuses. It seemed to be a placebo for people with an urgent need to "treat" themselves. I kept using it every day as it instructed, it neither shortened the duration of infection (which makes sense, your body has to fight off the infection), nor did it flush the crud out that drains afterward.

Call me unimpressed. Plus, some scientific thinking says that using such a device as preventative care, is actually worse for you since you strip away protective mucus (DUH).

But, but... I used it and didn't get sick! Then you know what, you probably wouldn't have gotten sick anyway.

Don't buy these things. You could blow out an eardrum using them (read the warning labels carefully). That could put a sudden crimp on your diving.

Many ENTs recommend their use for all manner of sinus ailments. I have yet to find one that recommends against their use. Anecdotally, it works for me. I find that it mitigates my allergies to pollen quite well. Much easier to blow out an eardrum at a rock concert.

G'day. I fortunately am able to avail myself of year round diving through dry suit technologies and climate. Sometimes due to unsolicited down time, the descent, ascent tubes, cavities and other diver comfort important bits inside the head become a bit rusty, stiff, blocked, seized, bugged, allergized and stuff, like when you need to dig your spare car out of the snow or use the freeflowing reg set that wasn't bathed and pampered post last use etc etc etc. Many years ago, love going to my doctor female attractive diving medcine intelligent funny, hope no one is offended by description order and told her my head needed a service. The Doc said "No drugs for you," I must have been standing in the wrong spot, "Go and jump," I must at this point suggest that we are in no way affiliated with any concrete pond or chlorine company, own a salt mine or have physically met Neptune, "In a pool do some laps or sommersaults swim underwater converse with the opposite or the same sex and go diving." Hallelujah I was cured. Good for fitness to. Becoming comfortable with snorting, liquid makes for safe practice for those inconvenient underwater moments also, do it in the shower. If I have repeated anything here it is because I had to make the choice of reading 21 pages of self administered enema recipes or two fingering this because humming alleviates boredom, scares othe divers and goes a long way to preventing overexpansion injuries.

Thanks Jenny! Are you rinsing while standing upright or tilting your head in the Netipot way? :)

I bend over the sink just enough so the stuff doesn't run out my nose onto my shirt! LOL
(do not tilt head to either side)

G'day. I fortunately am able to avail myself of year round diving through dry suit technologies and climate. Sometimes due to unsolicited down time, the descent, ascent tubes, cavities and other diver comfort important bits inside the head become a bit rusty, stiff, blocked, seized, bugged, allergized and stuff, like when you need to dig your spare car out of the snow or use the freeflowing reg set that wasn't bathed and pampered post last use etc etc etc. Many years ago, love going to my doctor female attractive diving medcine intelligent funny, hope no one is offended by description order and told her my head needed a service. The Doc said "No drugs for you," I must have been standing in the wrong spot, "Go and jump," I must at this point suggest that we are in no way affiliated with any concrete pond or chlorine company, own a salt mine or have physically met Neptune, "In a pool do some laps or sommersaults swim underwater converse with the opposite or the same sex and go diving." Hallelujah I was cured. Good for fitness to. Becoming comfortable with snorting, liquid makes for safe practice for those inconvenient underwater moments also, do it in the shower. If I have repeated anything here it is because I had to make the choice of reading 21 pages of self administered enema recipes or two fingering this because humming alleviates boredom, scares othe divers and goes a long way to preventing overexpansion injuries.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
" Poor, poor, little Alice! She has not only been caught and made to do lessons; she has been forced to inflict lessons on others."
" To clam up is to be so."

" Poor, poor, little Alice! She has not only been caught and made to do lessons; she has been forced to inflict lessons on others."
" To clam up is to be so."

Sounds like you've been shooting something else up your nose! :D :D :D

Now that would make a great product for those pre-dive blues!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom