Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does the baking soda do? I use saline solution every night, two squirts each side, I've put a little rubbing alcohol in the solution but never heard the baking soda idea.

How much salt do you use (per oz or rinse bottle)?

Nasal irrigation is used when greater volumes of saline are needed, for example, when large mucus crusts build up or nasal/sinus polyps block mucus clearance.
To irrigate your nasal passages, a bulb syringe (used to clear the nasal passages of babies) can be used.

To make your own nasal irrigation solution, mix:
¼ tsp. of kosher or pickling salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
8 oz. of warm tap water

[FONT=Arial,Arial](1 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp baking soda per 32 ounces of water)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Sinus Rinse SystemPremixed salt packets [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Since tap water may have some bacterial impurities, you may choose to use distilled water instead. Boil the distilled water and store in a refrigerator until you add the salt and baking soda. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Or, you can purchase the "Sinus Rinse" system available at most pharmacies, which comes with single use salt packets. The Sinus Rinse system may be easier and more comfortable to use than a bulb syringe. [/FONT]

How do I do saline irrigation?
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Use 8-16 ounces of solution in each nasal cavity 1-2 times daily, or as often as is prescribed by your health care provider. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Lower your head over a sink and turn your head so that your left nostril is down. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Pour solution from the container into your right nostril. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Water will drain from your left nostril into the sink. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Gently blow your nose. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Repeat the same process for other nostril. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Breathing through your nose during irrigation will prevent a mess and minimize the amount that enters the throat. You should use only enough pressure to move the solution to the back of your nose so it comes out though your mouth or nose. This should not cause major discomfort once you are used to it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Prepare fresh solution each day and clean the Sinus Rinse bottle after each use. [/FONT]
May 2006
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Written by Melissa Pynnonen, M.D. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Information maintained by the UMHS Clinical Care Guidelines Committee [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]University of Michigan Health System 734-936-4000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]© copyright 2006 Regents of the University of Michigan [/FONT]

And there you go.

What does the baking soda do? I use saline solution every night, two squirts each side, I've put a little rubbing alcohol in the solution but never heard the baking soda idea.

The baking soda is a buffering agent that helps with the burn some people get. I prefer straight salt.

What on earth would the alcohol do for you? Who suggested that?

I started using the Neilmed rinse bottle today because of congestion. How long should it take for the stuff to really kick in ( how many rinses). It cleared me up for a little but after about 6 hrs one nostril became clogged again. Also, do many of you use half the bottle for each nostril like the directions state?

I alternate between nostrils until the bottle is empty.
Don't know how long before you will notice a difference, but it should be fairly soon.

Just got back from Costco. They have the NeilMed system in a package with two bottles and 250 packages of the salt-bicarb mixture for $16.

That's an excellent deal! I think I paid about $10-12 for one bottle and 50 packets at Target or similar store.

That's an excellent deal! I think I paid about $10-12 for one bottle and 50 packets at Target or similar store.

I first heard of it when I read this thread in the morning. When I saw the kit I figured it was worth a shot at that price. Good to know it was a bargain.

My problems are more nasal than sinus but it can't hurt to try, right?

I am still rinsing away and feeling great. FYI, I am no longer using sea salt as the brand I was using had a anti caking agent in it. I purchased a 1 pound box of canning or pickling salt which is pure with no additive for like a $1.50. I sometimes add a little baking soda in, but for the most part just the pure salt.

I seriously can't believe how much it has cut down on my doctor bills and how good I feel. Rinsing really has changed my life. Who would have thought something so simple could have such a big impact.

my Dr had me doing that with a water-pic, on low of course. Goes in one side and out the other. Works pretty good but if your sinus are a wreck when you do it first time it's pretty painful.

Back
Top Bottom