Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have very severe seasonal allergies that hit me in late Jan and early Feb. Since using a nasal rinse (both neti pot and the NeilMed squeeze bottle) for the 3rd year in a row, I have avoided any antibiotics for sinus infections. I still get congested, stuffy, and some headaches, but nothing like the infections I used to get.

I've had the same experience, I also put a steam room in the house which does wonders.

Love the Neil Med products, but am really suffering right now. Even using double the dosage isn't doing the trick but I am not giving up as I still don't want to go the antibiotic route.

What is NeilMed SinusRinse postive pressure bottle? The same bottle in the kit with a different name?

It doesn't matter what product you use really, I suspect that the only difference you would notice is if you make your own solution and make it too hypertonic, that would hurt. Double dosage of what? Twice the concentration in the rinse solution? That isn't a good idea really, it will then be hypertonic and irritate your sinuses.

You might want to check with an ENT. Mine rarely prescribes antibiotics for a sinus infection unless it's just not going away, but does have an array of other treatments including Neilmed, Mucinex, and various decongestants and steroids.

He said that once you get everything opened up and draining, it usually takes care of itself, which has proven to be correct so far.

Terry

I like this post! Our culture is WAY to antibiotic happy. When my friends run to get them for VIRAL COLDS it makes me crazy. And I am in full agreement that with supportive care, even if it is BACTERIAL, many people can beat a bacterial infection too. The only difference might be duration of symptoms. But given the evils of liberal antibiotic use, I'd take the slightly longer duration. Certainly if you are getting sicker and not better after a week or so, are running significant fevers after several days of symptoms, or it just keeps hanging on for weeks and weeks, get thee to an ENT.

Full disclosure..not an ENT. I'm a peds nurse practitioner. Kids are snotty. URIs are most of what we do. During my training I did a lot of research on antibiotic resistance and was lucky enough to have some fabulous preceptors at UNC who took the time to talk people out of antibiotics instead of caving. Rant over...

Thanks Terry. I'm still not sure why a psychiatrist is issuing sinus rinses to their patients. I just think that someone is doing too much promotion on the boards. I understand that he has a financial motive - but it seems strange for a psych to be blowing this trumpet so much. If I were hearing it from an ENT or even a Pulmonary doc, it would be a little more legit. And BTW, I am a (very regular) user of NeilMed. Yes, it makes me feel better and I like the feeling of seeing all that snot running out of my nose. And I know that Psychdoc is a scuba diver. Just a little too much promo.

You might be surprised how many ENT's do not promote this kind of treatment. Its a bit to simplistic and cuts down on office visits :D.

As far as divepsych's participation, it really is the point of this thread. He may be touting one brand (much like some posters do in any regulator or fin thread) but has not dismissed any other options (unlike those same threads :D). And just because he has psyche in his name, doesn't make him a psychiatrist (although he may be). Remember, psychiatrists are MD's. And this is from his first (I believe) post in this thread:

Please contact me directly about your experience with SinusRinse as I am the physician who did the study with divers for NeilMed Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Mehta and I are very interested in both positive and negative feedback as many divers are using it these days. If divers are having possible adverse experiences, then the company wants to know about them.

David F Colvard, MD
www.divepsych.com
david@divepsych.com
1-877-265-8273

I think that is pretty up front about his motives.

It doesn't matter what product you use really, I suspect that the only difference you would notice is if you make your own solution and make it too hypertonic, that would hurt. Double dosage of what? Twice the concentration in the rinse solution? That isn't a good idea really, it will then be hypertonic and irritate your sinuses.

Actually, hypertonic saline nasal irrigation has added benefits, at least based on my personal experience and reports from others.

I've been utilizing hypertonic saline solution for nasal irrigation once each day for many months with no apparent ill effect. The solution I mix is roughly 1.5 to 2% saline (about 1.5 to 2 times the concentration of 0.9% isotonic saline). I've had no sensation of burning unless I get into the 3% area.

Reportedly, hypertonic saline, in the range of 2 to 3 times isotonic concentration, provides some added benefits beyond that of isotonic saline irrigations. Although it can cause a brief burning sensation and some mucosal irritation, it reportedly improves the efficacy of crust removal, osmotically pulls fluid from swollen membranes and improves nasal membrane cell function (ciliary function to transport mucous).

That's consistent with my personal experience. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
I think that is pretty up front about his motives.

Nope. I've met him. He is a psychiatrist. He is employed by NeilMed to promote their products. He mans their booth at SCUBA tradeshows. Sells the heck out of it.

My point: Just like the other vendors, he should start his own vendor forum and promote from within. Then people know from the outset just who is pushing this so hard.

BUT: When a MD makes claims about providing something to their patients, then people (like you and many others) tend to believe whatever benefits the doctor claims. In this case, the doctor (who does not make it clear that he is a psychiatrist - confused you too) claims that he is giving NeilMed to his patients. His PATIENTS? Wait he's a psychiatrist? Why is a psych blowing saltwater up his patient's noses? Just does not make sense. Unless there is purely a financial motive here. And BTW the "study" was a sponsored by "I wonder who" joke.

Divepsych should ask Neilmed to sponsor a Vendor forum and answer as a rep. Not as a shrink claiming that he is also treating sinus conditions. Totally misleading.

I'm not arguing whether blowing saltwater up your schnozz is bad or good. I like it personally and certainly does not hurt you.

I guess I look at it that he is at least more of an "expert" than most of us, and has been helpful and civil in the discussion. He IS an MD, so does have the medical background. And there have been other studies noted by other posters, so it's not like we are all hanging our opinions just on his input, in fact he came into the discussion fairly late and then to address some negative reaction to the product.

At least we agree the practice of using a saline rinse, from whoever or however, is effective.

I guess I look at it that he is at least more of an "expert" than most of us, and has been helpful and civil in the discussion. He IS an MD, so does have the medical background. And there have been other studies noted by other posters, so it's not like we are all hanging our opinions just on his input, in fact he came into the discussion fairly late and then to address some negative reaction to the product.

At least we agree the practice of using a saline rinse, from whoever or however, is effective.

1. I agree that he is has been helpful but he is being paid to do just that.
2. Experience with diagnosing schizophrenia does not turn him into an ENT. My best friend is a cardiologist and a diver but makes not claims about sinuses. (PFOs yes - Sinuses - no).
3. He has been promoting NeilMed for a LONG time on the board. Not just sinus rinses. Remember: You can formulate this yourself for pennies without brand name products. Yes, it's just pure salt.
4. I love rinsing my sinuses. Quite addictive. Makes me feel good-no question. I'm not yet convinced of its efficacy.

Since there have been so many questions about my qualifications and experience and bias in recommending nasal and sinus irrigation for divers, please go to the following video link for an excellent presentation by Melissa Pynnonen, MD, an ENT on the faculty of the University of Michigan. While Melissa and I have been in email contact in the past, I currently have no personal or financial or professional relationship with her or the university or the Michigan Sinus Center.

Nasal Wash For Post Nasal Drip - ENT-ear,nose and throat Information

Nasal Wash For Post Nasal Drip from Melissa Pynnonen, MD ... Melissa Pynnonen, the co director of the Michigan Sinus Center, discusses the nasal wash and ...

The salt used in the treatments is actually non-iodized and sterilized salt. It is recommended to either use pickling salt (finer grain) or the prepackaged treatments. Trying to snort regular salt water from the ocean is just asking for an infection, IMO. Plus, it burns the nasal cavities in a way that the homeopathic method does not.

I second the pickling salt suggestion. It doesn't have the iodine or anti-caking agents that other salts have that can cause irritation to the nasal mucosa. It's not going to cause an infection, but it's probably better to have as pure salt as possible!

Also, I mix mine with some sodium bicarb (baking soda) to buffer the pH. This helps make eliminate the burn and is essentially what those packets use at 1% of the price. 2/3 pickling salt, 1/3 sodium bicarb. I use about 1/4 of a teaspoon per 8 ounces of water, but it may require a bit of fine tuning to find a concentration that provides ideal results for each person.

Nasal irrigation is used when greater volumes of saline are needed, for example, when large mucus crusts build up or nasal/sinus polyps block mucus clearance.
To irrigate your nasal passages, a bulb syringe (used to clear the nasal passages of babies) can be used.

To make your own nasal irrigation solution, mix:
¼ tsp. of kosher or pickling salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
8 oz. of warm tap water

[FONT=Arial,Arial](1 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp baking soda per 32 ounces of water)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Sinus Rinse SystemPremixed salt packets [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Since tap water may have some bacterial impurities, you may choose to use distilled water instead. Boil the distilled water and store in a refrigerator until you add the salt and baking soda. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Or, you can purchase the "Sinus Rinse" system available at most pharmacies, which comes with single use salt packets. The Sinus Rinse system may be easier and more comfortable to use than a bulb syringe. [/FONT]

How do I do saline irrigation?
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Use 8-16 ounces of solution in each nasal cavity 1-2 times daily, or as often as is prescribed by your health care provider. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Lower your head over a sink and turn your head so that your left nostril is down. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Pour solution from the container into your right nostril. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Water will drain from your left nostril into the sink. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Gently blow your nose. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Repeat the same process for other nostril. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Breathing through your nose during irrigation will prevent a mess and minimize the amount that enters the throat. You should use only enough pressure to move the solution to the back of your nose so it comes out though your mouth or nose. This should not cause major discomfort once you are used to it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Prepare fresh solution each day and clean the Sinus Rinse bottle after each use. [/FONT]
May 2006
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Written by Melissa Pynnonen, M.D. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Information maintained by the UMHS Clinical Care Guidelines Committee [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Arial]University of Michigan Health System 734-936-4000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]© copyright 2006 Regents of the University of Michigan [/FONT]

I thought running salt water through one nostril and out the other was going to be miserable experience and waste of time. My daughter had been trying to get me to try the technique for a long time, and I finally gave in and gave it a shot. Much to my surprise, it was not hard to do, did not feel bad, and has kept my sinuses much clearer. I guess I am not too old to learn from my kids. I could be wrong, but I don't think the saltwater actually gets up in the sinus cavity. I asked my ENT doc about this procedure, and she told me it was the best for keeping infections down and the upper resperatory tract in good shape.
Guy

Back
Top Bottom