Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the salt rinse, when I feel the pressure starting to build behind my eyes. I usually have to wait 2-3 days before it passes. In those few days, I not only rinse with the salt water, I use Nasonex, saline nose spray and other nose sprays. I wind up taking many advil for swelling of the sinus. A few years back I had surgery for a divated septum which stopped most if not all infections, but did not completely relieve all the other pieces of sinus problems. One other thing that I found when the pain gets bad is what they call a sinus pack. I found mine at Walmart. It is a eye mask that can be put either in the microwave or freezer and placed over my eyes. Feels so good when I am hurting.

I seriously can't believe how much it has cut down on my doctor bills

OMG! How much were your doctor's bills before? You did say "seriously... I use the stuff when needed but this is beginning to sound like an infomercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still rinsing away and feeling great. FYI, I am no longer using sea salt as the brand I was using had a anti caking agent in it. I purchased a 1 pound box of canning or pickling salt which is pure with no additive for like a $1.50. I sometimes add a little baking soda in, but for the most part just the pure salt.

I seriously can't believe how much it has cut down on my doctor bills and how good I feel. Rinsing really has changed my life. Who would have thought something so simple could have such a big impact.

A few days ago I remembered I had read on SB about the kind of salt to buy instead of the more expensive saline rinse packs that come with the kit, and I'm so glad you posted this when you did, I didn't have to go searching! Thanks.

It really is a miracle product; I use the NeilMed squeeze bottle system. I too feel it is one of the best things I have in my health cabinet. Just further proof that the answer isn't always more pills.

I am still rinsing away and feeling great. FYI, I am no longer using sea salt as the brand I was using had a anti caking agent in it. I purchased a 1 pound box of canning or pickling salt which is pure with no additive for like a $1.50. I sometimes add a little baking soda in, but for the most part just the pure salt.

I seriously can't believe how much it has cut down on my doctor bills and how good I feel. Rinsing really has changed my life. Who would have thought something so simple could have such a big impact.

Wow! What a deal! That pound of salt will last quite a few years!

And thanks for reviving this thread. It's about the time of year to start up again on the rinse for me. I didn't get a cold at all last winter, and I sincerely believe it's because of doing the rinses.

tri, I was sick with a sinus infection almost all the time for years. Two or three rounds of antibiotics just to get me sort of back to normal, but in a couple of weeks it was the same thing. I was on 4 kinds of Rx's to deal with allergies too and they wanted to do that fun sinus surgery. I used to be tired all the time because I never really could get totally well.

Now I only take benadryl and my last doctor visit was a year ago. No surgery and I feel so much better.

And as for me trying to get rich, I have told you where you can buy a years supply of salt from someone else for $1. So I won't be getting enough money off of this deal to take my dream vacation.

I like the squeze bottle much better than the Neti pot or the Nasaline syringe that I started out using.

Oh and now that I think about it, bit probably was more than a pound of canning salt that I got for $1. It is about a half gallon of salt--how much ever that weighs. I have it in a big canister and have a little measuring spoon in there. I used to just dump a little in but burned my nose too many time from just guessing the amount.

Thanks for the tip. I use the commercial product, and it is more than a bit pricey. It does work tho!

Periodically I am plagued with bad sinus problems, and the sinus rinse products bring relief. I also begin a daily regimen a few days before any flying, or diving, to keep the sinus issues at bay.

I'll have to get the canning salts, and try them. It would save a lot of money if that works as well for me, as it is doing for you.

gypsyjim, canning salt/ pure salt with no anti caking agent mixed with pure baking soda is what the commercial stuff is made of. I find the pure salt works just great, but sometimes I get a little exotic and mix in little baking soda just for kicks. Baking soda changes the ph level and makes it feel a bit more soothing.

gyp, my Mom was in a hurry last week and just did plain warm water and she said the same thing. You would think that salt would make it burn, but it doesn't.

gyp, my Mom was in a hurry last week and just did plain warm water and she said the same thing. You would think that salt would make it burn, but it doesn't.

Yup, quite the surprise. :shakehead:
Exactly the opposite of what I expected.

Back
Top Bottom