Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Marc for the suggestion, but I already have the bottle, the pot and all the packets. But they are gone. So, with Bumblebees comments a few pages back, I tried the frugal approach. I :heart: frugal and less waste... including my hard earned dollars. :) Church has a white elephant sale this weekend. Maybe I can pick up a measuring device for a dime instead of going to wally world and spending $2. :)

I :heart: frugal and less waste... including my hard earned dollars. :)

Yes, indeed, frugal IS GOOD! :D

YMMV, but I've found good results using a solution of 1 cup of water, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of canning salt and about 1/8 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). :)

Dave C

Interesting, I made it using 1 to 1. What's the difference between canning salt and fine salt?

Canning salt is more course, but it easily dissolves. I mix one to one when I use baking soda. Most often, I just use a little more than 1/4 teaspoon of salt. I commandeered an extra plastic measuring spoon from the kitchen. I somehow ended up with several sets of measuring spoons.

You can use any kind of salt just as long as it is pure salt with no anit caking agents or other stuff. Do NOT use salt with iodine as it will set your head on fire!

Dang it.. should have picked up that loose 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon at the church fair when I saw it this morning.. maybe it will still be there this weekend..:)

I had to abort 4-5 dives recently because I couldn't equalize my sinuses. Went to pumping salt water up the schnoz and have been able to equalize on every dive since, albeit sometimes still with a little difficulty. But always able to do it. Had the wife mix up a batch from the recipe posted earlier.

Saline up the nose - greatest thing since sliced bread. Well, almost.

[FONT=Arial,Arial]To make your own nasal irrigation solution, mix: [/FONT]
¼ tsp. of kosher or pickling salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
8 oz. of warm tap water

[FONT=Arial,Arial](1 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp baking soda per 32 ounces of water); or just buy Sinus Rinse SystemPremixed salt packets ) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Since tap water may have some bacterial impurities, you may choose to use distilled water instead. Boil the distilled water and store in a refrigerator until you add the salt and baking soda. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Or, you can purchase the "Sinus Rinse" system available at most pharmacies, which comes with single use salt packets. The Sinus Rinse system may be easier and more comfortable to use than a bulb syringe. [/FONT]
How do I do saline irrigation?
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Use 8-16 ounces of solution in each nasal cavity 1-2 times daily, or as often as is prescribed by your health care provider. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Lower your head over a sink and turn your head so that your left nostril is down. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Pour solution from the container into your right nostril. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Water will drain from your left nostril into the sink. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Gently blow your nose. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Repeat the same process for other nostril. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Breathing through your nose during irrigation will prevent a mess and minimize the amount that enters the throat. You should use only enough pressure to move the solution to the back of your nose so it comes out though your mouth or nose. This should not cause major discomfort once you are used to it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Prepare fresh solution each day and clean the Sinus Rinse bottle after each use. [/FONT]
May 2006
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Written by Melissa Pynnonen, M.D. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]Information maintained by the UMHS Clinical Care Guidelines Committee [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Arial]University of Michigan Health System 734-936-4000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]© copyright 2006 Regents of the University of Michigan [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Arial]*******************************************************************************[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]​

BTW, If any of you are planning to attend the DEMA Show in Las Vegas later this month, then please stop by NeilMed Pharmaceuticals booth #3315 to pick up a free sample adult Sinus Rinse bottle kit, especially if you’ve gotten congested on your flight or from being in the convention center or generally are having trouble with sinuses or equalizing your middle ear pressure. And, take a look at the other drug-free products they’ve developed for your nasal and sinus comfort.

I’ll be there most of the week and would like to hear how Sinus Rinse has been working for you with your diving and other activities.

Also, if you want, you can go to Neil Med Pharmaceuticals’s diver website to post your comments about your experience with Sinus Rinse:
http://www.neilmed.com/neilmedblog/category/scuba-diving/

[/FONT]

I used to do this quite a while ago, and have started it again using a store purchased Neti-pot. I'm trying to decrease nasal congestion and snoring. It's a little strange getting used to it. I imagine that after this, if I'm capture by enemy forces, water boarding will be a piece of cake!

I used to do this quite a while ago, and have started it again using a store purchased Neti-pot. I'm trying to decrease nasal congestion and snoring. It's a little strange getting used to it. I imagine that after this, if I'm capture by enemy forces, water boarding will be a piece of cake!

Perhaps we could get the scubaboard store to stock t-shirts for us. "I water board for fun! Join me! LOL

I was really nervous the first time I tried it. However since you can breathe the whole time, it is easier and more pleasant the water boarding--unless you mix it way too strong. I think posted long ago the first time I did it I was told to put 1 teaspoon in 2 ounces of water. It should be more like 1/4 teaspoon in 8 ounces of water. It took me an hour to recover from the choking gagging burning experienced. I had a bad sinus infection and I did get a bunch of thick green stuff out.

It was a while before I tried it again, when someone gave me the weaker recipe.

By the way, in the United States most multiple tap water is fine. I use warm water straight from the tap and have not had any issues. If you are in an area with suspect water or if there is a boil water advisory, that is a different matter.

If you go to DEMA and DivePsyc is giving out free bottles, I would take him up on it. The bottles work better than the syringes or the pots--at least in my opinion.

Has anyone tried this yet? Water Pulsator

I'm not sure how much more beneficial it will be over a traditional neti-pot or the squeeze bottle (my favorite). But the gearhead in me wants to try it.

Back
Top Bottom