Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is the fact that the water can and will drain from your nose at the most stangest times. In fact, during my OW check out dives I bent over to pick up something while we were all getting ready and water started to pour from my nose onto the concert pad that we were all standing on. Thankfully no one saw it, only my 12 yr old daughter and I think she about died sitting right there. We both started laughing and giggling about this. How in gods name do you hide water gushing from your nose in front of a bunch of stangers? Another one to chaulk up to the coolest mom in the world. :shakehead:

Yes, it does wait for the most inopportune times. I find it occurs much less with the squeeze bottle than the neti pot. What I do is after rinsing, I sit down, lean my head down and forward (like you are going to look closely at your shoes), move my head left and right, and catch the flow in a kleenex.

All I use is the squeeze bottle. Somedays I get the drain other days, such as today, I do not. If I try to get it to drain, nothing. One time my husband and I were making a custom box for a customer, I leaned over the cardboard to pick up something and there goes the nose all over the cardboard. I looked up and my husband was just looking at me, not very happy with my stunt.

I felt pressure coming on, so before I got bad I did the rinse and took some meds and now I feel much better. I can still feel the pressure but I am not in a lot of pain and miserable. Plus I want to go out to the quarry tomorrow so I am hoping that I can kick this. Every hit and miss when I start to feel bad I check pollen.com to see where the levels are. They are low around here, so that pretty much shoots my theory.

Update....

I gave a kit to my friend at work…..he hasn’t tried it yet, but promises to this weekend. The other kit I gave to my wife and encouraged her to try it. Often she sleeps almost sitting up in the bed because her sinuses are so bad. However, last night I was listening to how quietly she slept laying flat. I considered it could just be my imagination; but I received this email from her at work this morning, “ xxx, I had the best night's sleep I have had in weeks because of this, thanks, I love YOU, J”

So there you have it. Another addict in the making.

Thanks all, from me and the wife.

c

awwwwhhh :heart: :heart:

Haven't had the water rushing moment yet.. guess I'm lucky...

Update....

I gave a kit to my friend at work…..he hasn’t tried it yet, but promises to this weekend. The other kit I gave to my wife and encouraged her to try it. Often she sleeps almost sitting up in the bed because her sinuses are so bad. However, last night I was listening to how quietly she slept laying flat. I considered it could just be my imagination; but I received this email from her at work this morning, “ xxx, I had the best night's sleep I have had in weeks because of this, thanks, I love YOU, J”

So there you have it. Another addict in the making.

Thanks all, from me and the wife.

c

Well there ya go rinsing improving marriages and making couv feel the LOVE!

The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is the fact that the water can and will drain from your nose at the most stangest times. In fact, during my OW check out dives I bent over to pick up something while we were all getting ready and water started to pour from my nose onto the concert pad that we were all standing on. Thankfully no one saw it, only my 12 yr old daughter and I think she about died sitting right there. We both started laughing and giggling about this. How in gods name do you hide water gushing from your nose in front of a bunch of stangers? Another one to chaulk up to the coolest mom in the world. :shakehead:

Oh, I once hosed my chiropractors table when he had me roll over. I narrowly missed his arm. It was fun! I have had a few other close calls.

Oh, I once hosed my chiropractors table when he had me roll over. I narrowly missed his arm. It was fun! I have had a few other close calls.

Try a yoga class........guaranteed to cause spillage.

Well there ya go rinsing improving marriages and making couv feel the LOVE!

Just when you thought you were going to have a less than fun day.:rofl3:

The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is the fact that the water can and will drain from your nose at the most stangest times.

I used to get that inopportune delayed drainage, too, but I've largely eliminated the problem by actively ejecting the saline after the saline irrigation is over.

I do it by holding my head mostly upright, holding my nose and blowing slightly to push air into the nasal cavities, then unpinching my nose. Upon each release of the nose, the pressurized air in the cavities forces out the liquid. After several such pressurizations and releases, no more fluid drains out. Rarely is there any left to surprise me later....and I'm one of those people who actively forces the saline INTO the cavities in the same fashion during the irrigation, so I have several ounces in the sinuses themselves! For me, it doesn't drain out very well unless actively assisted.... :D

Dave C

Thank you to all the divers and instructors and dive shops and resorts and live aboards who visited the NeilMed Pharm booth at DEMA Show in Las Vegas last week.

A special thanks to those who also took advantage of the special DEMA Show price and placed orders for the Sinus Rinse bottle kits to keep on hand for divers and staff who show up congested. It just makes good business sense to keep them diving and as Stan Waterman (www.stanwaterman.com) says, "Don't leave home without it."

More and more instructors are telling their students on Day One of their scuba classes about the advantages and importance of regular sinus-nasal irrigation.

Please leave your comments about Sinus Rinse on the special NeilMed Facebook page for scuba divers at:

NeilMed Sinus Rinse | Facebook

Last edited:
OK…..I’ve still not convinced my friend at work to try it; BUT due to the success my wife experienced, I decided to give it a try myself. Well, now I’m addicted. Even though I didn’t/don’t have any serious sinus issues, I can definitely tell the difference.

However, I have a question. The fetching Mrs. Couv and I have a difference of opinion on the force one should use while irrigating. While I say use a slow squeeze assisted by a slight inhalation, she maintains that a forceful squeeze to blast the saline into the cavities is the way to go. My idea it to allow the salt water to soak the sinus cavities, hers’ is to blast them. How about input from you veterans?

Couv

Never NEVER blast! If you have a big crusty chunk of dried snot somewhere, you don't want to blast it to the back. Gentle pressure only enough to have it freely flow through.

If you are congested, put enough rinse to the snot obstruction and then let it drain back out the same hole. Blow your nose, then put rinse in through the other side. Let it reach the blockage and flow back out the same hole. Blow nose into a tissue again. Repeat back and forth until the snot has loosened and dissolved. I have woke up pretty clogged more than one and after doing this on each side of my nose 5-10 times, I have been able to clear the clog.

Your sinus passages are a big place inside your head, not a straight through pipe. Thus the blast can send stuff to places you do not want it to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom