Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK…..I’ve still not convinced my friend at work to try it; BUT due to the success my wife experienced, I decided to give it a try myself. Well, now I’m addicted. Even though I didn’t/don’t have any serious sinus issues, I can definitely tell the difference.

However, I have a question. The fetching Mrs. Couv and I have a difference of opinion on the force one should use while irrigating. While I say use a slow squeeze assisted by a slight inhalation, she maintains that a forceful squeeze to blast the saline into the cavities is the way to go. My idea it to allow the salt water to soak the sinus cavities, hers’ is to blast them. How about input from you veterans?

I like to get the saline into the sinus cavities to soak for a few minutes, not just irrigate the main nasal passages. To do so, I use controlled pressure, not a forceful blast.

To reduce mess, I do this in the shower. I don't know how you guys do this at a sink.... :wink:

I do my irrigation by tipping my head back, filling the nasal passages with saline using a 60cc syringe sealed up against a nostril, then plugging the other nostril while intermittently and gently pressurizing the nasal passages. A bulb syringe will also work.

This method will inject saline into the sinuses during pressurizations and eject air during non-pressurizations. About 6 intermittent pressurizations lasting a half-second each followed by half-second pauses will about half fill some of my sinuses, as judged by the audible sloshing I hear when I shake my head. Go ahead and laugh.... :wink:

The saline will mostly stay in the sinuses until forced out or posturally draining out later. I prefer to force it all out while still in the shower rather than getting a surprise later.... :wink:

So, near the end of my shower, I tip my still sloshing head forward, blow my nose, then plug both nostrils and do gentle intermittent pressurizations, between which the saline runs out. It might take 6 to 10 such pressurizations before no more saline will run out. Only on rare occasions has some residual saline dribbled out later.

I find that a few minutes of saline soaking my sinuses really helps to liquify the secretions and facilitate their removal. Afterwards, the nasal passages seem to shrink, too, making it easier to breathe. I usually use a hypertonic solution (three quarters to one teaspoon of canning salt and about an eighth of a teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water).

In addition, I find the intermittent pressurizing gives my eustacian tubes a good workout, which appears to improve my scuba-related ear-clearing. It's gotten to the point where my ears clear passively during my dives. That is definitely a nice benefit! :)

Dave C

Last edited:
I think I was using too much pressure last year, and it got into my ears. I don't know the anatomy of the sinus passages to the ears or whatever. But at some time last year I developed an ear ache that would not go away. Always felt like there was a blockage/wax issue. It turned to tinninutis after a couple weeks (and was OK diving during that time, no pressure, no problems ). I went to the ear Dr. and had some injections in the ear. Cleared the ear up. Never want to experience that again so I don't use as much pressure anymore. Whether my ear problems were from the sinus rinse, I don't know. But aint taking any chances.

USBB….see what you’ve started? I want stock in NeilMed. In addition to the kits I bought my wife and friend at work, another has taken up the habit. Yesterday, a friend of my wife called from the local pharmacy and wanted to know which kit she should purchase…..wants three for her family.

The Neli med bottle and Ayr bottle work the same. So you might diversify your stock purchase! LOL.

I have just been so thankful to get off all the allergy meds and to significantly reduce the number of sinus infections I have. And now when I start to get one, with aggressive rinsing, I can beat it without going to the doc. By aggressive rinsing fyi. I mean rising at least 5 times during my waking hours and if I happen to wake up anytime during the night I rinse.

I have had 2 sinus infections in the last year. One in December of 2009 and one this past April. The April one I am attributing to lack of sleep and being upset. Anytime I don't get enough rest I can count on getting sick. My 46 year old brother suddenly died without warning and for several days I did not get enough rest even though I tried.

So my getting sick has now become the exception rather then the rule. I used to get that thick green stuff in my nose, but since I started rinsing, the faintest yellow is as much as it progresses.

..... I mean rising at least 5 times during my waking hours and if I happen to wake up anytime during the night I rinse..........

...and I thought I was addicted. :wink:

I just gave my netipot away to a friend who's hubby is having sinus issues.

Was at the allergist today. (Things are improving.) She said a lot of people swear by the sinus rinse.

Jenny,

I'd be interested to know if your allergist recommends nasal flushing to her clients; or did she just make a general statement?

Couv

+1 for the Neilmed/Ayr systems. I've used both with great success, and I BELIEVE I've headed off a cold or 2 by doing it at the first onset of symptoms. Clears ya right up!

I agree. Neilmed has helped me as well. I have had one cold in 3 years and one bad sinus infection caused by allergies. Might be a little gross to use, but it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom