Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenny,

I'd be interested to know if your allergist recommends nasal flushing to her clients; or did she just make a general statement?

Couv
She repeated it a couple times that she has patients swear by it, but I have not seen anything in the office, and she did not say she recommends it..

+1 for the Neilmed/Ayr systems. I've used both with great success, and I BELIEVE I've headed off a cold or 2 by doing it at the first onset of symptoms. Clears ya right up!
yep. Agree. I go about 2 weeks flushing every day. After that, whenever I feel something coming on and/or 4-5 times a week through the winter. No colds last year. Hope for a repeat this year.

Couv, I only go full court press when I am trying to get sick. Otherwise, just once a day.
Quit trying to get sick and maybe you wouldn't have these problems! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
(j/k)

Snorting salt water daily sounds a great way to get sinus inflammation and infection.
I'm actually surprised her ENT didn't recommend it. Most ENT are huge proponents of saline flushes. When I rotated on ENT as a resident, they even used a Water-Pik to wash sinuses with salt water in the clinic.

I'm actually surprised her ENT didn't recommend it. Most ENT are huge proponents of saline flushes. When I rotated on ENT as a resident, they even used a Water-Pik to wash sinuses with salt water in the clinic.

Sorry if I'm just imagining things, but I thought one or the other of the ENTs very strongly recommended that people not use Water-Piks in their noses, because the pressures can easily puncture fragile sinus membranes. Or is this one of those things where experts working on things they can see under controlled situations are different from non-experts poking around where they can't?

Sorry if I'm just imagining things, but I thought one or the other of the ENTs very strongly recommended that people not use Water-Piks in their noses, because the pressures can easily puncture fragile sinus membranes. Or is this one of those things where experts working on things they can see under controlled situations are different from non-experts poking around where they can't?
I think it's the difference between the expert operating it and recommending someone do it at home. It was always used at a low setting, very carefully.

I think it's the difference between the expert operating it and recommending someone do it at home. It was always used at a low setting, very carefully.

..... and I was just about to put some saline rinse in a pressure washer and try it out, too...

I wish I could just delete some of the last messages and then post something that makes more sense than hundreds of posts. --- HERE is what I think should be on a sticky on this post ...

1. NO ONE in their right mind would use the standard tips from a Water Pik, as anything close to that pressure would certainly bring horrible pain!

2. There is a specially made tip that will NOT blow anything out, nor will be a force that will hurt at all. Write to me and I will find the manufacturer, or search it out on the web. As I recall, it was about $10, or you could figure out how to modify a tip yourself.

3. ANY pain should NOT come from the solution. IF it does, you have your formulas wrong. Here is what I KNOW WORKS and is NOT PAINFUL.

A. Use 1000 ML of COOL WATER - warm will HURT (I know, this sounds crazy.)

B. Use 1 and 1/2 TEAspoon (equal to 1/2 TABLEspoon -- ?? ML) of NON-IODIZED salt (Iodized WILL HURT)

C. Use 1/2 TEAspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda

D. Add less than half the water to the container, add the dry ingredients and swish til clear -- IF you don't totally dissolve the salt, and you have undissolved salt in the bottom of the container, your first use will provide concentrated saltwater that will feel like it is burning your nose out! Fill the rest with cool water. Use it within a day or so... (Keep in mind that you could grow nasty things in that water if you aren't careful).

I've been using this only when I have a cold, and it really has helped me over the past 10 years. When I researched the subject, I found that many people with sinus problems have been "cured" after decades of trying everything else, including surgery.

I use a "good model" water pic, that has a large container, with a variable pressure, and with pause, built into the handle. My only complaint is that the plastic hose eventually becomes brittle and breaks.... (due to salt water?? Is that why you have to rince the BCDs?) Water Pik sells a replacement hose and handle for about $10, delivered.

I hope this is comprehensive enough to make a sticky, and save everyone a lot of time. If not, try to edit / improve this until it can "stick" around.

DaaBoss, thanks for joining in. We started this conversation about 3 years ago. It seems it is one worth having with a lot of folks and thus the pages and pages of posts. Lots of good posts in here--believers, unbelievers, skeptical converts and the like. I think it is good to have a variety of posts of both people that is has worked for and for those which it hasn't. It helps more than not.

Am I doing the conversion correctly 1000 ml equals about 33 ounces? That seems like an awefully big batch--too big in fact. I only mix up enough solution for one application. If the water is cool it bothers me. Gently warm just over luke warm, but not hot. I use about 1/4 pure salt per 8 ounces of water.

Some of us are sink people, others shower people, some bottle people, some pot people and a few die hard-hard core tippers (lay on the bed, tip your head back and hang off the bed, fill the passages and let it soak as long as you can stand it, and a few power pic people. There isn't any one method. What may work really well for one, won't work so well for another. The principle is the same no matter the application.

I doubt this thread will ever make sticky status. I do suspect that it will linger on for quite a while though because as people discover it and begin to rinse, they find it helps them. And that is a coversation worth having over pages and pages and posts and posts. :)

My ENT has told me for years that for me, a daily nasal rinse with a buffered saline solution is just as important as taking my daily allergy meds.

Im thankful to have never had sinus problems, but can attest to saline soaks doing wonders for body piercing infections. 1/8 tsp of pet store sea salt dissolved in an 8 ounce cup of warm water (no more than that or it will irritate) can clear just about any angry piercing in 1-2 days. I know quite a few piercers who use and recommend it as their only aftercare, and Ive recommended it to many people that found luck with nothing else. Great for gargling away a sore throat too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom