Shore Dive - Mississauga/Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite a difference but I love it because it is all shore diving on my terms. No cattle boats or super speedy fast dive master led dives. If I want to spend an entire dive in front of one coral formation waiting for a moray to cooperate then I can. I am not a diver that wants to get in the water and swim fast anywhere....unless I have to. I like to see what is in front of me. Hence my annual trip to Bonaire.

Thank you for your website---interesting---good to know there are diving sites that don't cost you an arm and a leg to go to just to dive (travel motel etc). Can add up after a while!! diver down 35

One of these days I am going to do a few dives around the hamilton lift bridge (fishermans pier) and see what its like there. I have heard rumor there is a barge there somewhere. If I find anything out I will let everyone know. Has anyone ever dove here? No idea on chart depths either, but I figure it can't be much deeper than 20' other than the shiping lane maybe.

Scatter brained as always

Mike

I believe I have charts for that area and will check at home. If I do I will let you know the charted depth (outside of the shipping lane of course).

One of these days I am going to do a few dives around the hamilton lift bridge (fishermans pier) and see what its like there. I have heard rumor there is a barge there somewhere. If I find anything out I will let everyone know. Has anyone ever dove here? No idea on chart depths either, but I figure it can't be much deeper than 20' other than the shiping lane maybe.

Scatter brained as always

Mike

The shore line all along from Burlington to Toronto for the most part is very shallow and shale it is also subject to a great deal of vis problems with the slightest storm or run off ..... Oakville has a few items to dive on between Bronte Harbor and Oakville harbor I have several of the coordinates for the rum runner, dawn of the dead, SA queen, old dive charter and some other wreckage ie a plane (cockpit only), and a fiberglass cruiser. although these are relatively close to shore I would not swim there, and the depth is about 80'

Thanks vstar1100. If you would be willing to share the GPS coordinates that would be excllent. I definitely agree with the following statement:

or the most part is very shallow and shale it is also subject to a great deal of vis problems

In my desperation for a new site, I have dove Coronation Park several times and kind of like it because it is low vis. Because it saves me an average of about 2.5 hours in the car, I will no doubt do it several times again this year. But, it is requires excellent buoyancy and comfort in sometimes very low viz.

The shore line all along from Burlington to Toronto for the most part is very shallow and shale it is also subject to a great deal of vis problems with the slightest storm or run off ..... Oakville has a few items to dive on between Bronte Harbor and Oakville harbor I have several of the coordinates for the rum runner, dawn of the dead, SA queen, old dive charter and some other wreckage ie a plane (cockpit only), and a fiberglass cruiser. although these are relatively close to shore I would not swim there, and the depth is about 80'

Most of the numbers for these wrecks are listed in the OUC Shipwreck Directory plug in for Google Earth. This will also provide you with additional information on the wrecks including photos.

Ontario Underwater Council

Hey Steve, want to make some dives offshore these weeks ? I'm looking for a buddy but most of them flew south :) suppose to be the other way in the spring is not it :) I was walking along the shore in few parks in Mississauga - Oakville area last weeks and cannot wait to get into the water. Let's go if you are interested

Welcome to the board elen. It looks like you are new diver as well so welcome to diving too. Hopefully you find diving as great as I do because I am bordering on an unhealthy obsession with it :D. Did you certify locally? If so, who with and when? I did not certify around here (for my OW anyways) but have dove with a couple of the shops. Most of my diving is just my dive buddy and I without a shop because I tend to shore dive whenever possible to keep costs in line.

Back
Top Bottom