Shore Diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might be too late, too - the only "shore diving" I know of in Cozumel is at the El Cid La Ceiba (the Airplane site, although it got moved and banged up in the big hurricane) and down at Chankanaab; diving at Chankanaab is shallow and very easy.

I just got back from a great shore dive at Villa Blanca. Tons of stuff to see. The best is the little yellow frog fish. It is so cool. I found the now mature drum fish at the fake coral. Ask Opal at Scubamau to get Denis to take you out. He found it(frogfish) is 5 minutes for me. I would have drowned trying to find it. lol. It's a fun dive there, the la palapita and fiesta!!! or la hach which is now a happening place. have fun kev

Yeah I guess he is already there. I just noticed this thread lost in the Trips sub-forum and asked a kind Mod to move it.
How is the shore diving around BA? I was thinking it was just average and a place to practice and get your gear dialed in and maybe a night dive?
It's ok actually. Wear gloves, as you are no in the park, and there is fire coral on the ray fence next door if you get pushed into it by current, and you might have to deal with the rocks getting in or out. There are sandbags to walk on a the dive shop and at the stiarway a couple of blocks south, so check the current (look at the moorings) and maybe enter one place and ride current to the other.

You can see rays around the fence, other fishes, even urchins in the rocks now that they are coming back. It may well be better further south at Villa Blanca; never got that far on a shore dive. Once saw a small moray eel and a banded coroal shrimp working as parters on a tire in front of the Casa del Mar; the shrimp would lure in fish to be cleaned, the eel would grab the fish, the shrimp would get the scaps - I think. The only dive that trip without my camera of course.

Need to read a tad slower, lol. And check the dates. sheesh.

How strong is the current when shore diving. I know it probably varies day to day. Just trying to get an idea. Can one just swim upstream 1/2 and turnaround and drift back?

How strong is the current when shore diving. I know it probably varies day to day. Just trying to get an idea. Can one just swim upstream 1/2 and turnaround and drift back?
How strong the current will be depends on several factors; The day (which you mentioned), where you're shore diving from, and how far out you go. On most days and from most places, the current isn't too bad and you can most certainly start your dive swimming upstream and drifting back.

Sometimes the swim upcurrent from Blue Angel can be a bit demanding, but it's usually not too bad. Or you can take it easy on yourself and put in at Villablanca and drift home.

Shore dive video from Casa del Mar last year.

It's not like diving the reefs but it's still great diving !
CasaDelMarShoreDive
:thumb: Cool; very nice. Let me show you a trick tho. I'll disable codes for a moment to show you what I am going to use...

[CENTER][vimeo]2340270[/vimeo][/CENTER]

Now I will re-enable codes and paste that here...

[vimeo]2340270[/vimeo]​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom