Shore Diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's ok actually. Wear gloves, as you are no in the park, and there is fire coral on the ray fence next door if you get pushed into it by current.

You can see rays around the fence, other fishes, even urchins in the rocks now that they are coming back. It may well be better further south at Villa Blanca; never got that far on a shore dive.

Don, the best coral we found was on the south (Villa Blanca) side of the stingray prison within 50 yards or so of the fence. We were staying at Villablanca so we tried both directions from the pier and that's the best we found.

P.S. I can confirm the fire coral on the plastic outer fence of the stingray prison. I found out the hard way when I grabbed hold to try and take a picture of a stingray through the fence! I sure wished I was wearing my gloves! :shocked2:

There's an echo in here! :D

Sharptail eel, not sea snake.

EDIT: I didn't see the other correction; you guys are together, right? Are you on different computers in the same house? My wife and I send emails to each other from 20 feet away all the time! ;^)

I'm at work Gordon. :D

What's a sharp tailed eel? We saw a couple spotted morays, but the sea snakes were definitely sea snakes. I know one when I see it. I'll post a pic or five tomorrow after I have a chance to dump them from my camera. :D
One of these? Taken just off SCC in April.
sharpshin_eel.jpg

There's an echo in here! :D

Sharptail eel, not sea snake.

EDIT: I didn't see the other correction; you guys are together, right? Are you on different computers in the same house? My wife and I send emails to each other from 20 feet away all the time! ;^)

One of us is 'supposed' to be working

I know it's far from the Wyndam, but if you have a car, drive toward town and dive Villa Blanca. You can rent tanks from Dive Paradise on site (if they can find any full ones :shakehead:).

We did a couple of night dives there and saw plenty of stuff (snake eel, morays, octos, scorpion fish etc., etc.)

Watch the current though -- it would be easy to get carried away if you're not paying attention.

Jon

This is exactly what we did - two night shore dives at Villa Blanca and Paradise. They were two of the best dives I've had! First one was 90 minutes long; we were able to take our time and dive at our own pace. jondavies is right - we were out at 1:00 AM and the current was very strong in VB.

Here are a few pics on one of our villablanca dives.

Attachments

• CZM09 377.jpg
    CZM09 377.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 42
  • CZM09 368.jpg
    CZM09 368.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 38
  • CZM09 364.jpg
    CZM09 364.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 45
  • CZM09 346.jpg
    CZM09 346.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 35
How far out do you need to swim at Villa Blanca? I know that some swim under the boat traffic to the reef in front on the beach next to Blue Angel, but I'm not.

While I concur it's outside the park I've never had the need to wear gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon
It's ok actually. Wear gloves, as you are no in the park, and there is fire coral on the ray fence next door if you get pushed into it by current.

You can see rays around the fence, other fishes, even urchins in the rocks now that they are coming back. It may well be better further south at Villa Blanca; never got that far on a shore dive.

Don, the best coral we found was on the south (Villa Blanca) side of the stingray prison within 50 yards or so of the fence. We were staying at Villablanca so we tried both directions from the pier and that's the best we found.

P.S. I can confirm the fire coral on the plastic outer fence of the stingray prison. I found out the hard way when I grabbed hold to try and take a picture of a stingray through the fence! I sure wished I was wearing my gloves!

While I concur it's outside the park I've never had the need to wear gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon

P.S. I can confirm the fire coral on the plastic outer fence of the stingray prison. I found out the hard way when I grabbed hold to try and take a picture of a stingray through the fence! I sure wished I was wearing my gloves!
Dang what are you quoting and what are you saying exactly?

No, many don't wear gloves on the shore dive there, but a newbie or a klutz like me in case one is pushed into the sting ray prison, or like the time I missed the sandbags and crawled out on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom