Shore Diving - Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of shore diving here and frequently see divers (including instructors/dms) getting knocked over. One of the easiest things you can do before entry/exit is to time the waves. I don't think many divers do it, or take it seriously. Many times I see divers getting tossed around and two minutes later, my students and I casually walk out while it's flat.

Seriously, spend 3-5 minutes watching the surf beat, pay attention to it, and your entries will be less harrowing. This is where it pays to be a surfer!

Mad_diver:
I hope you all don't think I'm a moron, but I have gobs of questions about shore diving.

How do you measure the wave height? (I know you can get an idea of the water depth by watching the wave's height when it breaks). And how big is too big to dive in? (a 25' or 30' tsunami maybe obvious obvious but others may not be so)
When looking for a local area orientation, do you simply seek out a dive shop close to the area you are thinking about diving and hire a DM? Or is the best idea to snorkle on the dive site prior to diving?
How about entry and exit? Is there a rule that says something like "If the average wave is no higher your waist while standing in knee deep water, then it's a simple and safe entry"? (I really have no gauge to reference this situation. I've never been diving anywhere that isn't in Ohio....lol) We occasionally get a 1 foot white cap when a tornado comes through...lol but no real serious disruption of the surface on the lakes we use. (not counting Lake Erie)

I saw the link to the Dive shop in Beverly Hills that does the free Surf Entry/Exit course and Nav course. That would be sweet. I wonder if I could convince DiveOBX to do something like that.

I'd really like my 1st Ocean dive to NOT be a miserable experience. That's all I'm looking for.

Thanks

I certainly hope we don't get another specialty deal for this. I spent every summer at the jersey shore and always snorkled from the beach until i was able to get certified. I had never really thought to much about it. I see your from Ohio and never dove the ocean your best bet IMO would be to go with a local who has lots of experience in that area. All beaches are different, if i was to go to the pacific north west I would look for someone with experience to dive with. The difference could be as great as ohio diving vs NJ shore diving.
As far as what wave hieghts to avoid again is very arbitrary of course huge waves would just be silly to try. I have seen days with fairly small waves that tossed me around more then large ones, the ocean is very temperamental that way. Like i said above check with a local dive shop or here on this board for someone that knows the location your interested in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom