Should I do Padi Deep before TDI deco & Adv Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battles2a5:
To the OP, diving a light nitrox mix on 25 or 26% is not going to help you with narcosis (O2 is thought to be narcotic anyway) it would only buy you a tiny bit more no stop BT.
Good point about the narcotic potential of O2 - often overlooked in these threads.
battles2a5:
In terms of the Deep class opening up more dive spots, I don't think that is the case unless the PADI police are out there checking c-cards.
I agree - the Deep Specialty will probably not open up a lot more diving opportunities, other than the expected increased comfort at depth. It is not an essential requirement for that, but may help some. Two points about doing it, or an equivalent with another agency: 1) A pre-requisite for the DSAT tec course is certification as a Deep Diver (or equivalent). I don't know what the pre-requisites for TDI are, but it is useful to determine if there is a deep course requirement of some sort. 2) DSAT Tec also requires 25 dives deeper than 60ft, and 15 dives deeper than 100ft. Taking a Deep course also will ideally give you more exposure to deeper dives that contribute to meeting the pre-requisite. Ultimately, the tec course will provide the training you need for deeper (>130ft) diving. Given your interest and direction, a Deep specialty may not contribute a lot beyond meeting pre-requisites.

I don't know what the pre-requisites for TDI are, but it is useful to determine if there is a deep course requirement of some sort.

For user level Adv Nitrox you need Basic Nitrox (obviously) and proof of 25 OW dives.

For user level Deco you need proof of 25 OW dives.

Age restrictions apply to each course.

Back to the OP. I vote NO PADI and deep just don't mix

Good point about the narcotic potential of O2 - often overlooked in these threads.

See this article.

As for the OP, most PADI Deep courses won't do anything to prepare you for the TDI courses. I know the one I took didn't do squat. As far as opening up more opportunities to dive to those depths, it shouldn't. Some ops will ask to see an AOW card, but most don't care about a Deep card. Should you take the course anyway? That depends. Is the instructor offering more than just the basic PADI curriculum? I teach the PADI Deep specialty course, but I teach a lot more than the basic curriculum - gas management being the number one thing. But I also teach that in my OW classes. Get a curriculum from your instructor and take a look at it. Post it here if he allows you to. That should be the determining factor. Even a TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Proc course can be worthless without the right instructor.

Thanks for the all the replies

I appreciate all the points that are being made. I too have the same feelings (esp regarding putting another dollar in) and would appreciate if people could put in some more input considering the following:

1. I don't dive on deep air. While I'm only nitrox qualified, I could still use nitrox mix to 39m, say EAN 26 (my rough guess??)

2. From an personal cost perspective the deep course would open up a HEAP of dive sites for me in my area, allowing me to build up experience. Sure in the long run, it may cost me a bit more but I believe in doing my apprenticeship, and don't want to rush into things.

3. I've know a lot of instructors, and this guy is really good. He makes all courses hard, and comprehensive (more than required). He has said that I could go onto deco procedures if I wanted to.

He never pushed my hard into PADI deep or tried to sell me split fins and snorkel just suggested it would make a good stepping stone, and that he would provide me with a lot of extra training and theory; specifically for me diving on doubles.

Still I'd be interested to hear peoples views.

Thanks again

Alex

I'm not sure if this is viable for you, but I recently did my IANTD Deep and Recreational Trimix. I used these courses to see whether I would like to do more technical diving.

I have not done the PADI course, but have the manual and spoken to instructors prior to deciding. With IANTD you do gas management calculations, shoot a lift bag, do valve shut-downs and get to dive with a long hose. PADI doesn't cover nearly as much of these items. I also gained a lot of experience doing dives where a strict dive plan is followed. Also, it is interesting to see the effect of task loading on your diving (buoyancy in particular, but also breathing).

The Recreational Trimix was expensive (if you look at the gas fills) and I can't see myself diving much on trimix as I don't really dive at 130' on most dives. The experience of not being narced was cool, and the trimix breathes markedly easier, but not worth the $$$ for my diving.

Maybe TDI has a recreational course that you could do which would be similar to the IANTD Deep.

Cheers

Gunter

... As far as opening up more opportunities to dive to those depths, it shouldn't. Some ops will ask to see an AOW card, but most don't care about a Deep card. ...

Has anyone ever been asked to show a "Deep" cert card? AOW, on occasion, yes, but Deep? I've never heard of anyone EVER being asked for their "Deep" specialty card.

Has anyone ever been asked to show a "Deep" cert card? AOW, on occasion, yes, but Deep? I've never heard of anyone EVER being asked for their "Deep" specialty card.

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

I think Deep Diver is a silly waste of $$. Avoid that course if they allow and focus on more money saving courses.

Take a real good course like GUE DIR Fundamentals. Many divers I know take that course and like it because it teach the skill.

NAUI has the same course called an Introduction to Technical Diving. It gives same skills.

You are close enough in Melborne to going to North Florida and train with the cave boys or girls who teach the cave diving courses and can teach you the real dive skills.

I train with many agencies but liked the Cave Diving Courses or the Technical Course more than the PADI courses.

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

Yes, and I'm agreeing with you. I'm also asking a question (which you did not ask) as to whether anyone has ever heard of such a thing, as opposed to the two of us agreeing that we've never heard of such a thing. :coffee:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom