Should I do Padi Deep before TDI deco & Adv Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe your original statement was:

That statement is wrong..... 100ft or into deco. You can do dives to/beyond 100ft safely without being narced without He. He is NOT a prerequisite for deco diving. Sorry, but your statement is wrong.

But in a later post (see above) you revert to 'safer' so...safer how?
@100ft, on 32%, you END (just looking at N2) is about 80ft......adding He, will bring that END more shallow.

Let me turn this around. Why should you have He in your mix for deco dives at 100ft and below?

You are narked at 100ft no matter what you may beleive. Now to what extent varies. So for the slow, He reduces narcosis. You make smarter and faster decisions when you can think clearly. To think that you are less narked on 32% than air at the same depth is just dumb.

So when you are at 100ft and doing a deco dive He will keep your head clearer then 32% any day. You people that think you can dive air to 150-190 and be just fine are :rofl3::lotsalove:.You are a danger to yourself and your buddy. But I don't care.I dont dive with you.

Cathy Cush hears Bill Hamilton musing about something, takes it as gospel and we've been suffering through this conversation ever since. Please ... give it a rest.

You are narked at 100ft no matter what you may believe. Now to what extent varies. So for the slow, He reduces narcosis. You make smarter and faster decisions when you can think clearly. To think that you are less narked on 32% than air at the same depth is just dumb.

So when you are at 100ft and doing a deco dive He will keep your head clearer then 32% any day. You people that think you can dive air to 150-190 and be just fine are :rofl3::lotsalove:.You are a danger to yourself and your buddy. But I don't care.I dont dive with you.
You lack the experience to have any right to tell me about when I'm narked and when I'm not. The very fact that you try to do so demonstrates conclusively that you have no idea of what you are talking about and are just parroting horse pucky that you've picked up from others. Dive with whom you wish, breathing what you wish ... I don't remember inviting you along anyway.

I found this tid bit sorta interesting....it is one of those studies that has been examined under various microscopes for years..........

" Experiments showed that the potency of an anesthetic gas was tied to its solubility in an organic solvent (olive oil). Known as the Meyer-Overton Rule it predicts that the anesthetic potency (narcotic effect) of a gas is inversely proportionate to its lipid solubility.

Below is a list of common gasses and their solubilities from the most narcotic (xenon) to the least narcotic (helium).

Gas -------------Solubility Coefficient

Xenon -------------1.90
Nitrous Oxide ------1.56
Carbon Dioxide -----1.34
Krypton ------------.44
Argon --------------.15
*Oxygen ------------.11
*Nitrogen -----------.052
Hydrogen ---------- .042
Helium ------------- .015 "

The classic argument to the above has to do with O2 being metabolized by the body as a natural process.....ALL I know is that the most recent studies and scientific thoughts and current agency training manuals....trend to treat O2 as if it in fact is to a degree narcotic....for me my dive planning does just that.....I approach planning on this safe footing. Most of your current software for dive planning also follows that conclusion.

Anyone whom wants to start a seperate thread...go for it.....this argument is just like DIR/non DIR....steel tanks or alm. tanks....PADI or NAUI....never will anyone totally agree....but it is FUN to discuss.

:eyebrow:

ALL I know is that the most recent studies and scientific thoughts and current agency training manuals....trend to treat O2 as if it in fact is to a degree narcotic....
What recent studies? What scientific thought? And who cares what the agencies write in their training manuals, there's enough error there that one more really won't be noticed. I'm not saying it that oxygen isn't, just that I don't think it is and have seen no real evidence to point in that direction.

What recent studies? What scientific thought? And who cares what the agencies write in their training manuals, there's enough error there that one more really won't be noticed. I'm not saying it that oxygen isn't, just that I don't think it is and have seen no real evidence to point in that direction.

You have made that very clear!!.....I am not smart enough to enter into a scientific discussion on the O2 debate.....I am though convinced something is going on there and will side with 02 being narcotic to some degree. Not all training materials are totally error ridden as many contend......I think it is interesting and worthy of keeping up as best as one can with the latest information.

Cathy Cush hears Bill Hamilton musing about something, takes it as gospel and we've been suffering through this conversation ever since. Please ... give it a rest.

You lack the experience to have any right to tell me about when I'm narked and when I'm not. The very fact that you try to do so demonstrates conclusively that you have no idea of what you are talking about and are just parroting horse pucky that you've picked up from others. Dive with whom you wish, breathing what you wish ... I don't remember inviting you along anyway.

You have no idea what my experience is. I dont claim to know what yours is. Nor do I claim to know how narked you are at what depth,but I do know that you are narked @ 100ft no if's about it. So if you dont want people to disagree with you dont post your nonscientific theorys. The good old I dont care what science says. And one plus one doesnt equal two. In fact go away all together.

You have no idea what my experience is. I dont claim to know what yours is. Nor do I claim to know how narked you are at what depth,but I do know that you are narked @ 100ft no if's about it. So if you dont want people to disagree with you dont post your nonscientific theorys. The good old I dont care what science says. And one plus one doesnt equal two. In fact go away all together.

Oh come....just look at Thalassamania's bio....his whole life is detailed out.

:popcorn: WOW....I'm in the process of filling my tanks with Vodka vapors....I'll let you know how it reacts at depth

:popcorn: WOW....I'm in the process of filling my tanks with Vodka vapors....I'll let you know how it reacts at depth

Never done that...let us know for sure....that Vodka does great for freeze proofing those first stages.... :eyebrow:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom