Should I get a Second stage alt or air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I met an instructor a few weeks ago who told me he teaches his students, if they are out of air, they should grab their buddy's primary air source. I was a bit horrified. He said that in his experience, that's what happens anyway in an OOA situation, so he might as well teach his students that." And ask that bozo how many times this has actually happened to him and if it was with people he trained.

If diving with poorly trained divers it could happen. So this guy is teaching people to create a real emergency by grabbing the reg out of another diver's mouth? Possibly resulting in two dead divers. STUPID! Teach gas management and divers are less likely to run out of air. teach OW classes with increased task loading and multiple OOA situations in the pool and they are less likely to panic. If an instructor taught you this please do your dive buddies a favor and warn them not to dive with you. As you may end up drowning them.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2014 at 04:05 PM ----------

Practice air shares people! Every dive if you can. And stay the hell away from those who say if you don't donate they will rip the primary out of your mouth. You may be low on air yourself. Should not be but it happens and you are under no obligation to kill yourself for someone else.

I'm always amazed at some of these comments.

Especially when I see something like,
"I met an instructor a few weeks ago who told me he teaches his students, if they are out of air, they should grab their buddy's primary air source.
- because they know it's (the primary 2nd) is working ??? Really what the heck happened to pre-dive safety checks that include ensuring BOTH 2nds work properly ?

Folks could think about;
- why an Octo comes on a 36-40" hose vs a primary 2nd on a 28-32" hose. Nice NOT to have a panic diver totally in your face.
- the majority who push Air2 units always seem to forget to recommend a longer primary hose be swapped into the mix.

Remember you are doing this while trying to control an OOA situation:
- When one removes that short hosed 2nd to donate to an OOA diver, now how many divers are now without air?
- Has the donor practiced and I mean really practiced to make the switch smooth and without a hitch.
- Have you bent that Air2 hose numerous times over and over to get it in your mouth..... likely not right?
- Has one really practiced with that Inflate, Deflate and purge button so it's now muscle memory.

Get rid of the extra hose causing all that extra drag......... come on, give me a break.

How are 80% of folks trained that may come up to you OOA and now you're doing something they are not trained with.
- that OOA diver may likely not be your buddy.

I've been diving over 40 years and never have had my primary taken away. Have I done Buddy Breathing BEFORE there were alt 2nds being used... YES.

Hi, I'm about to purchase my first set of scuba gear and was wondering if I should get 2 second stage or one of the air2? The air2 seems more convenience since I don't have an extra tube. However, the guy at the shop recommend me getting 2 second state because a dedicated air source is safer. Is this the case? And is there any major different between air2 vs air3? Thanks

Whichever way you go, you need to practice with your configuration until it's automatic.

Yes, the inline octo is not as convenient to use when you have to rescue somebody. Yes, it also eliminates a hose for you.

So what do you want? Convenience for yourself, or ease of use when rescuing somebody? When do you expect to rescue anyone?

Also, I don't think that there is an Air2. I think that there's an AirSource 3, and the difference between that and the Air2 is that the AirSource 3 is an Aqualung product while the Air2 is the Scubapro product. Not to mention there's the third alternative which is the Atomic Aquatics SS1.

The big difference between the AirSource 3 and the Air3/SS1 is that you can deflate through the AirSource 3. With the other two, you have to take it out of your mouth to deflate.

I prefer the Atomic SS1 and I've practiced enough with it that it's second nature to me.

I always kind of scratch my head when I see folks who normally promote simplification snub "air2" type devices. It results in fewer failure points. 1 less hose, complete with orings and other parts.

'Regular' 2nd regulator would be my vote........

If the type of diving doesn't dictate the use of one choice, it is really a personally preference. However, I want to point out that the arguemen of Air2 is more streamline due to one less hose is flaw in reality. In order for the Air2 to be breathable, the corrogate hose needs to be long enough. The extra length will eliminate all the advantage of one less hose IMO. My vote goes to regular 2nd stage too.

Reading that you are taught to take another divers primary reg is complete asinine! I did my OW class with a power inflate octo and did not care for it at all. Whenever I bought my gear I went with a normal secondary reg as my octo. I like it a lot better than how my octo set up was in OW.

Go with the Secondary Reg. I believe it is better set up and is the norm in a vast majority of the diving world.

It is personal preference for diving an Integrated Inflator/Alternate Air source. I dive with an Atomic SS1 as my alternate air source.

It feels better in my hands than a standard power inflator. Call me a klutz but every once in a while I have to stop and think about my thumb and finger on a standard inflator and which is purge and which is inflate. With the SS1 the larger button is purge and the smaller button is inflate. I can tell automatically by feel and to me it is more intuitive and more comfortable. My dive instructor also preferred the buttons on the SS1 and uses that as his standard power inflator but with PADI regulations also had a traditional octo on his gear configuration. It also breaths very well even at depths to 100 ft. and is comfortable in the mouth.

I don't worry about my octo getting pulled out of it's holder. Rarely and infrequently I've had an octo come out of it's holder. Go down to sweep to feel for the octo and it's not there. With the SS1 I run my left hand down the corrugated hose and it's at the end every single time. I'm not sure if I prefer the standard length hose as it forces me to pull my very slightly to the left, but with my longer corrugated hose I can turn right but find it harder to turn left so it's a wash. The large purge button on my SS1 works well even when the unit is in my mouth.

To me the principle is no different than those who recommend a bungeed octo around your neck. Instead of a bungeed octo it's simply my SS1 and is close enough to around my neck with it on my shoulder. The real key is that you have to be used to your new set up. You have to regularly practice removing your primary and getting the alternate in your mouth so that the motion is second nature. You also have to communicate to your buddy especially when diving with new divers. Even with my usual buddies I will remind them that they will be breathing off my primary if we need to share and show them my SS1 as my octo. It's not the set up, it's the communication before the dive and your familiarity with your own gear.

I didn't mention anything about losing a hose or being more streamlined. It's simply a number of different factors I find more convenient and comfortable than when I've used rigs with standard octo's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom