Should I go for DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello! I am new to this site and hoping to get some answers/advice! I am heavily considering signing up for a DM internship on Roatan but I'm not sure what to expect during the course and mostly after.
A little bit about me....I was certified 10 years ago during college and traveled to several islands in the Caribbean to log about 30 dives. Unfortunately, work and "life" got in the way and put this on the shelf but I have never stopped thinking about going back for more!
I really want to get my DM and possibly work for a couple of years in the Caribbean with a dive shop. Is this realistic? I know the money isn't great....I'm not worried about that. I live a simple life. I just want to know what life could be like after getting the DM.

Thanks!

Go Lady LB!

With realistic expectations and a willingness to be flexible at times (because things don't always go according to plan in the real world), you could have a great experience. It's all down to you what you make of your chosen lifestyle and vocation.

As mentioned by most here, you probably won't get rich - moneywise. But if you like going places, living in different environments and meeting people and circumstances, a DM cert would be a useful thing to have. Just don't believe anyone if they tell you to "come on down, we've got a job for you".

Employability, pay and work will depend on where you go so it's worth doing a bit of research on your desired destinations.

Even if you decide to not work with your cert, the skill and learning you get from a DM course will always come in handy.

All the best

Go Lady LB!
Even if you decide to not work with your cert, the skill and learning you get from a DM course will always come in handy.

yep, I agree.

yesterday was my first day helping out an instructor with a OW class (as a DMi).

it's like an on-going refresher course. It's some hard work; both the book learnin' and helping out in the water (confined & ow). but I'm feeling this is a great way to stay up to date and have a better connection with diving. (of course I just started and my opinion may change in a couple of days/weeks) :)

Just so you know what you're getting into -- on Roatan, at one of the popular resorts, their DMs are instructor certified. They get paid $360 per MONTH. There is no room, board, or perks. Without tips, they'd starve.

Yes, Roatan has a low cost of living and you say you lead a simple life. Is it simple enough to be happy at those wages?

Just so you know what you're getting into -- on Roatan, at one of the popular resorts, their DMs are instructor certified. They get paid $360 per MONTH. There is no room, board, or perks. Without tips, they'd starve.

Yes, Roatan has a low cost of living and you say you lead a simple life. Is it simple enough to be happy at those wages?

Considering you can dive for $10 per tank on the island off a charter boat I can understand making only $360 a month. I base this off experience of having gone to Roatan and shopping around the different dive shops. $110 will get you 10 dives off pretty much any boat. That and the barrier reef is only 500ft off the beach so you can easily do shore diving without a DM/Boat.

If price is a basis for tips, 20% of $10.00 is only $2.00 making tips very small. Thats not to say that people wont tip $5.00 or more but often time vacationers don't tip at all.

Go for it, don't limit yourself to 1 place, become a DM and go and see the world. I know DM's that make a nice living by using their language/business/photographic skills to supplement their income. If you want to become an Instructor, why not?

The whole idea of this sport is to encourage people to go diving. The higher up the ladder you get, the more fun you can get from it!

Dive Master is the first step. At the least it will make you a better and safer diver.
At the most, it will open the door for further educational and financial opportunities.

Go for it, dare to live your dream. If it doesn't work out, maybe Obama will send you a bailout check!:wink:

I really want to get my DM and possibly work for a couple of years in the Caribbean with a dive shop. Is this realistic? I know the money isn't great....I'm not worried about that. I live a simple life. I just want to know what life could be like after getting the DM.

The question was not jusut about becoming a DM, it was also about how realistic is it to be able to support yourself as a DM after the class.

Everyone has suggested to move on to instructor, which requires more time and training. That is a great road to take if you do want to take time out of the busy world and relax on an island and teach diving, lead divers and work in a shop.

Heck, one day it will be what I do once I pay off all of my debt, mortgage, cars, etc. It would be unrealistic for me to do that now with responsibilites but if there comes a day when I have no set debt to worry about I would jump at the chance to do what you're considering.

With just a DM qualifiction, the OP would be exceptionally lucky to earn sufficient money to support even the most basic lifestyle in a cheap country.

Finding work alone would be tough - as he (a newly certed DM) would be in competition with experienced instructors.

If he did find work, then the salary would be miserable, with no hope of commission from courses to top it up. Essentially, he would be living on tips.

Many people could cope with that for a while, but it is insufferable in the long run.... and it would only take one dose of flu, an infected cut, ear problems etc to keep him out of the water (and out of money) for a week or two, before any meagre savings ran dry and he was on a plane home.

So...to answer the question catagorically... No. It is not realistic to support yourself as a DM after the class.

If you want to work as a DM, you need big savings in the bank or a secondary income.

One DM friend of mine worked in IT. He had a sweet life... leading divers in the daytime and sitting by the beach in the evening earning good money for building websites etc.

I was certified 10 years ago during college and traveled to several islands in the Caribbean to log about 30 dives.
Get another couple hundred dives, get comfortable in the water in a variety of conditions, then consider DM training. I'd argue that 30 dives is not enough experience for AOW, let alone starting a DM course.
You need to be fully comfortable in the water and committed to handling stressful situations and panicky people underwater.

A diver with limited experience who relies on a DM, does not need a DM, no matter how dedicated or well intentioned, who is also a relatively inexperienced diver.

Back
Top Bottom