Should OW certified divers be taken into a deep wreck? Overhead? Thread split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I think part of the differences in the opinions on topics like this lies in the vast spectrum of experience represented by the posters.

I remember going to Hawaii when I had about 14 dives. We booked a "boat diving" specialty, figuring it would be a good way to get another specialty under our belts, since we were going out on a boat anyway. Because of this, we had our own guide, and he was an instructor. He took me to 130 feet to see the shark condos, and I followed him, because at that point, all but one or two of my lifetime dives had been obediently following an instructor and doing as I was told. I would not do that dive today, but I didn't know enough not to do it then, and I do shake my head NOW at the instructor who thought that was a good idea. As a 14-dive diver, I would have been angry if someone had told me the instructor did something unwise or unsafe -- angry at HIM, because at that point in my career, I thought professionals were there to "take care" of me. After all, they took me underwater when I knew nothing!

In the middle ground, once I learned a bit more, I would be upset with the diver who blamed the guide, because we should all be responsible for our own diving. Although some things are learned with time, certainly we WERE told as open water students not to go into overhead environments, although certainly very little time was spent on that. So the diver should know not to do that, even if a pro is telling him it's okay. It's still hard to relinquish the sense that the DM, instructor or guide is operating to some extent in a "guardian" capacity.

Nowadays, with professional training and experience of my own, I blame both. The diver should know not to exceed his limits, and the professional should know better than to encourage him to do it -- especially knowing how novices are likely to cede decision-making responsibility to their leaders.

…Nowadays, with professional training and experience of my own, I blame both. The diver should know not to exceed his limits, and the professional should know better than to encourage him to do it -- especially knowing how novices are likely to cede decision-making responsibility to their leaders.

True, but a lot of boats make their living taking divers out to see wrecks all over the world. Given the number of under-employed divemasters out there it is hard for me to come down on them too hard. The boat has to cover overheads and will find someone else to take divers on tours, even when they are barely qualified to dive unsupervised.

There simply aren’t enough divers with decompression or wreck certs to cover slip rent. Surely someone considered this before putting all that work into getting purpose-sunk wrecks. Given the fact that fatalities related to inadequate wreck skills on dives like this have not proven to be bad enough for training agencies or governments to intervene, maybe we are all just blowing smoke???

It sure doesn’t feel right but there isn’t much evidence for me to justify it.

Last edited:
Given the fact that fatalities related to inadequate wreck skills on dives like this have not proven to be bad enough for training agencies or governments to intervene, maybe we are all just blowing smoke???

This is an internet forum, of course we are all blowing smoke.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain." Brian Griffin

There simply aren’t enough divers with decompression or wreck certs to cover slip rent. Surely someone considered this before putting all that work into getting purpose-sunk wrecks. Given the fact that fatalities related to inadequate wreck skills on dives like this have not proven to be bad enough for training agencies or governments to intervene, maybe we are all just blowing smoke???

It sure doesn’t feel right but there isn’t much evidence for me to justify it.

I spend part of each winter in the Pompano Beach are of south Florida. Here are the web sites for the primary dive centers in the area. If you go through the list, you will see that each one promotes diving the local wrecks, almost all of them intentionally sunk as a part of the artificial reef program, as the main attraction for local diving. Their dive calendars focus on those dives--dive days with nothing but reefs are not the norm.

Pompano Dive Center
South Florida Diving Headquarters | Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
Scubatyme Charters: Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Experts. Wrecks, Reefs, Spearfishing & More!
Scuba Diving Gear, Classes and Everything To Get You Underwater from www.dixiediver.com - Padi open water certification
https://www.force-e.com/areas-served/diving-pompano-beach/ml

If you go to dive those operations and check the schedules during the season I am there, you will find a number of days when they are not going out to these sites because they don't have enough divers signed up. They may not, in fact, have any divers signed up. I just left the area yesterday. During the last week I was there I did not do any dives, in part because on the days I was available, the dive operation I use the most had no divers scheduled. Its captains and dive masters all had those days off. I am pretty sure that if you forbid them to go to those wrecks or if you forced them to refuse to allow anyone without formal training to go into the overhead portions, they would be out of business in no time.

If you do those dives that they promote in order to stay in business, you will see almost all divers go through some sort of overhead, even if it is just a quick swim through the wheel house. This has been going on for decades. How many fatalities have there been as a result of an unqualified diverse in those overheads? I have never heard of one. I used to read every description of every fatality in the annual DAN reports (no longer being published), and I don't recall ever reading of such a case. Similarly, I don't know of a case of a diver dying because he or she went through a Cozumel swim through.

Now, raise the ante and start looking at caverns and real wrecks (not prepared for divers), start looking at cases in which people penetrated beyond the light zone in big wrecks, and you will find plenty of evidence of diver fatalities and near fatalities.

Maybe it's OK to suggest that not all overheads are the same.

…Maybe it's OK to suggest that not all overheads are the same.

Agreed. Not doing so is simply out of touch with reality. Blanket rules that attempt remove judgement and common sense from daily life are quickly discounted, ignored, and/or forgotten.

There is a vast difference between purpose-sunk wrecks in air-diving range with experienced guides and the Doria. There is an even bigger difference between the Doria and a major expedition dive like the Lusitania or Britannic. That difference becomes minute when you compare the Lusitania to the HMS Edinburgh. Arguing that short swim-throughs require a cave or wreck cert just makes that person look like they are trying to sell C-cards, inflating their egos, or are delusional.

Originally Posted by boulderjohn
…Maybe it's OK to suggest that not all overheads are the same.

Agreed. Not doing so is simply out of touch with reality. Blanket rules that attempt remove judgement and common sense from daily life are quickly discounted, ignored, and/or forgotten.

Although I agree with you both, I think that the only basis for that judgement and common sense a new diver has would be the conduct of the dive professionals around him, since I doubt there was any discussion of the decision making process in an OW class.

When a dive professional is prohibited from taking a student into an overhead environment during class but is allowed to take an OW diver into a deep overhead environment without proper training, it gives no basis for said diver to make an informed decision in the future. I have no problem with Darwin diving, but training a diver to believe diving is fun and safe without going over the myriad of ways it can kill you, then sanctioning dives outside of the divers skill set, gives the diver a skewed view when making a decision.

I believe the incident in this thread may not have ultimately ended any differently however, I don't believe any of the divers would have made the penetration, or even been that deep, if they were not under the impression that diving with a dive professional would keep them safe. The only place they would get that idea would be in their dive training.

Bob
-----------------
[/RANT]

… The only place they would get that idea would be in their dive training…

Or from deficiencies in OW training. Divers have to know that the sport is dangerous and be given enough information to understand and recognize risks. Well stated BTW.

Pompano Beach are of south Florida. Here are the web sites for the primary dive centers in the area. If you go through the list, you will see that each one promotes diving the local wrecks, almost all of them intentionally sunk as a part of the artificial reef program, as the main attraction for local diving. Their dive calendars focus on those dives--dive days with nothing but reefs are not the norm.

Pompano Dive Center
South Florida Diving Headquarters | Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
Scubatyme Charters: Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Experts. Wrecks, Reefs, Spearfishing & More!
Scuba Diving Gear, Classes and Everything To Get You Underwater from [url]www.dixiediver.com - Padi open water certification[/URL]
https://www.force-e.com/areas-served/diving-pompano-beach/ml

A similar list could be developed for the Kittiwake off Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. I would guess that over a hundred divers go into this wreck on a daily basis on guided tours. Granted it is not as deep as some of the Florida wrecks, it is still a wreck.

My first time through I had over 150 dives and was with my wife who had maybe 50. I certainly did the risk assessment including an on-going risk assessment as we went through the wreck (level of silt and entanglement potentials.) But in the end we went through the wreck. I wouldn't call it a "wreck through" as in some areas it would take several turns to find an exit even though one could see daylight at all times. (And silt wasn't a big deal ... there was enough to limit visibility to 30 ft or so and large particulate to make flash photography a no-go.)

In the end, I think the risks posed by the Kittiwake are low and I'd not hesitate to take competent OW or AOW divers through it like some swim throughs.

But would you do it at 100', without a discussion of the dangers of wreck diving and the difference between the Kittiwake and other wrecks they might encounter. And so on...

Bob
---------------------

But would you do it at 100', without a discussion of the dangers of wreck diving and the difference between the Kittiwake and other wrecks they might encounter.

If the Kittiwake was at 100 ft, I would be much more hesitant to go in it myself much less guide a non-wreck certified group into it. The air consumption rate at that depth would sufficiently reduce the margin of safety since the routes through the Kittiwake are not straight through from one side of the hull to the other. Going into the wheel house would not be an issue since all the windows are out and available for exit from what I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom