Sidescan sonar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, POW and SOS are good places to start. They are dedicated to preserving the wrecks, and are not government agencies. POW is more just in the kingston area, but jim is a good guy, very helpful.

if you are, drop me a line, I'm out almost every fri-sun :wink:

*For one I personally don't believe in wreck stripping and don't enjoy seeing wrecks that have already been stripped which is every one I have ever been on.

*What I enjoy even less then this is bureaucracy from a government I don't trust.

Sometimes I wonder if the real reason that the Canadian government would be so interested in making sure no divers are on newly found wrecks is not because of heritage at all (that part may be assessed later after they find out what the wreck is).......I think the real reason is to find out what the wreck is and what’s of worth in it to the government before divers get at it.

Realistically we have over 5000 shipwrecks in the Great Lakes, many of which have been found and explored and are there for divers to dive. ( of course after big brother has had a good look and says its ok).

Now we know from much of the Great Lakes diving we northerners do that most of the wrecks we dive were merchant ships that went down empty or cargo often being coal or iron or lumber. Many of these wrecks I really don't believe the government cares about after all look at the shape of some of them, no more then boards with a boiler sitting at the bottom...where’s the big heritage in that.....as time passes on they will wither away to nothing just look at what the last 100 years has done to so many of them. So having said all of this and to stay on the real topic here which I believe is IS IT OK FOR ME TO GO AND LOOK FOR NEW WRECKS WITH SIDE SCAN SONAR? Well your big brother will say NO, but I being your little brother and who cares more about you and your diving enjoyment then your big brother would recommend that you use the side scan sonar go look for your wrecks and I hope you find some and dive them first before the pillaging bastards get to them and when you are good and ready if you feel like it then call the feds and then go dive the wreck in a year or so and compare what you originally found to what your seeing and then you might reconsider calling them next time.

If it were me and my dive buddy(s) we would be on the new wreck and looking and enjoying it the way it is (photos and all) before we called anybody.

Fins up!:wink:

The Law in Ontario is basically that one can't "search" for historical stuff without a permit, and the province decides what's historic. The other thing is that a side scan is a frequency operated device and according to some a permit is required.

Two examples in your area are the search for the Arrows and the HMS Speedy, both done without a permit then when found the finder tells the authorities, " I found this, pay me to show you where" basically

Give Tom a call at Northern Tech Diver in Kingston or even better join the GLUE club by contacting Ken Fuller fullerk@kingston.net ( I think) , they're running a NAS1 course in May. Peter Engerbert will be the instructor and he issues the permits and knows the rules.

There's also rumour that SOS is reopening a chapter in your area, so there maybe another avenue.

Jimmy B

Jimmy B once bubbled...
The Law in Ontario is basically that one can't "search" for historical stuff without a permit, and the province decides what's historic. The other thing is that a side scan is a frequency operated device and according to some a permit is required.

Two examples in your area are the search for the Arrows and the HMS Speedy, both done without a permit then when found the finder tells the authorities, " I found this, pay me to show you where" basically

Give Tom a call at Northern Tech Diver in Kingston or even better join the GLUE club by contacting Ken Fuller fullerk@kingston.net ( I think) , they're running a NAS1 course in May. Peter Engerbert will be the instructor and he issues the permits and knows the rules.

There's also rumour that SOS is reopening a chapter in your area, so there maybe another avenue.

Jimmy B

Thanks for al the excellent info. I was already planning to take the NAS course. Unfortunately they don't run them very often.
As far as the permit is concerned, I'll contact MR. Engerbert to get some details. Specifically, I am not really going to look for wrecks in particular.. I just want to know what's the bottom contour looks like..(Must be the mad scientist in me) :bonk:
There is an SOS chapter in Hamilton. They cover all of Niagara. I'll have to get in touch with them. Maybe we can turn Niagara into a smaller version of Kingston. The more wrecks (or things in general) to see, the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom