Slates - ten reasons why we don't use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crackberry... I like that. It describes them well.

If you do get one don't bother with any of the cleaners - they usually scratch and don't work well anyway. Buy a Arm & Hammer magic eraser sponge. Cut a corner off and keep it in your bag - doesn't matter if it gets wet. Rub that thing once or twice across the slate and voila - clean slate. :)

Thanks for that tip. I quit using my slate because it was so hard to clean. Great idea!

But do they like me, or do they LIKE ME like me?

:rofl3:

Just as an aside, how long do you suppose it will be until some company develops underwater text messaging for those folks so addicted to texting that they can't go more than a few minutes without sending a message to their friends?

I suppose if you have the Verizon network following you around on a dive, the shark will have plenty of choices for someone to munch besides you.

:sharkattack:

I was just about to say...how long before someone invents a waterproof crackberry-like messaging device to replace the slate. Hey, I just did!
There is a device that can do that, although diver/boat location is more what it's geared for

I hardly use my small slate, It's just big enough for writing down tank pressures

Thanks for that tip. I quit using my slate because it was so hard to clean. Great idea!

Toothpaste works great as well.

[-]Mmm, the only time I can think of is when some other divers looked sort of lost. I wrote them the compass reading for the boat...[/-]
Sometimes when I'm lost I'll use it to ask for directions.

Fixed. :wink:

:sprint:

Magnadoodles are good, but this saves a lot of time...

<- El Clicko este thumbnalio para magnificacion

It is a military biased version, but use your imagination and go visit Kinkos to have it laminated.

This one shows compass (with 1/4 point reminders) and reciprocals (the very small table to the left), and an actual ruler in Metric and English SAE.

Change it up to recreational words, and if nothing else, the "typewriter" proved to be extremely effective in testing of communication of complex ideas.

First: What is a typewriter?

Second: When you yell Starlight underwater, how fast does the Medic get there?

:rofl3:

The foot note to the thumb is a stich! :rofl3:

First: What is a typewriter?

You see, back when I was a young'un, long before the days of com-poo-ters and video games, when all we had was maybe seven channels of television through an antenna on the roof and we were MIGHTY GLAD TO HAVE IT, DADGUMMIT, and the road to school was FIVE MILES LONG, UPHILL, BOTH WAYS, IN TEN FOOT DEEP SNOW, we had these devices called "typewriters".

It was kind of like a human powered word processor, with these metal buttons you mashed with your fingers that made the letters magically appear on the paper, and where your spell check was in your head and your print-out was instantaneous, but editing was one big pain in the patoot, and boy, do you kids have it easy these days...

:dozingoff:

The diary of course. Since I don't keep one. :D Now a grocery list reminding me to get butter for the lobster or blackening seasoning for the fish now that is mighty fine idea. Heck now I might need two slates! :doh:

I didnt realize you caught that many lobster. Or where you going to make a list for ONESPEED? :D

Just as an aside, how long do you suppose it will be until some company develops underwater text messaging for those folks so addicted to texting that they can't go more than a few minutes without sending a message to their friends?

Already done....

udisms.gif

Back
Top Bottom