Slates - ten reasons why we don't use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure that you dont have a problem with that even with out the slate :)

Oh I can't wait for Almity to get here :popcorn:

OP, clearly your thread has been hi-jacked. I think you got the idea with the slate though, at least I hope so. If not, let me know and I will be happy to have OneSpeed and Cave Diver's posts removed :tongue:

What? You think we can just wipe the slate clean after all this?

has this thread gone to seed and we need another mod to move it or clean it up?

i think we should return to the topic and original post... there are lots of other places to chat guys

cheers

:kiss2:

the OP wanted to know 10 reasons why NOT to use slates yet every single post was about benefits of having a slate :shakehead:

There definitely are times when you need to communicate something that is more complex than you can easily do with hand signals. I did a dive with my husband and a friend off our boat once, where we couldn't find the wall we were supposed to dive, and we were wandering around on a fairly featureless gravel bottom in current . . . Eventually, I swam up to Peter and wrote in my wet notes, "We're drifting, and HJ can't drive the boat."

That's one of the few times I can think of where I need to say something I couldn't convey with my hands. It's why I carry wet notes on every dive, but it's also why they live in my dry suit pocket, where they don't catch on anything, or dangle, or interfere with my gauges, or otherwise cause problems. They're there for the rare occasion that the pre-dive plan didn't cover contingencies adequately.

Easy as pie to do that Lynne! Hold up one finger, point to each other to signify we:kiss2:, move it in a wavy direction to signal drifting:shakehead:, make HJ in the water, shake head while making driving motion with both hands:no:, point to each other again, then act like you are using a screwdriver to indicate we are screwed:shocked2:, then thumb up to end the dive! See, nuttin to it!:D

Easy as pie to do that Lynne! Hold up one finger, point to each other to signify we:kiss2:, move it in a wavy direction to signal drifting:shakehead:, make HJ in the water, shake head while making driving motion with both hands:no:, point ot each other again, then act like you are using a screwdriver to indicate we are screwed:shocked2:, then thumb up to end the dive! See, nuttin to it!:D

Hehe. I would have:
-pointed to each of us
-made our sign for "current" (wavy hand kind of)
-pointed up
-made our sign for "boat" (both hands cupped)
-made a driving motion
-shook my head

:) I have found I can carry out long conversations underwater if needed actually but only really with my regular buddies, guess we just work well like that. It can be hard with people I have not dived with before. I have had to resort to using sign language letters a few times, but for nothing important (once I signed "blurry" and "macro" and pointed to my buddy's camera that I have borrowed as I couldn't figure out how to change the settings - we have a sign for macro now :wink:)

Easy as pie to do that Lynne! Hold up one finger, point to each other to signify we, move it in a wavy direction to signal drifting, make HJ in the water, shake head while making driving motion with both hands, point to each other again, then act like you are using a screwdriver to indicate we are screwed, then thumb up to end the dive

Gotta be careful, though. Under the wrong conditions (and depending upon the mindset of the people involved in the "conversation") those signals could be interpreted as an indecent proposal!
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom