Smile lines are problem!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:D Hi,

Just recently finished my open water cert and had a big problem with leaking masks. At first, my instructor thought I was being a baby whining about my leaking masks and gave me his mask which was obviously a nice mask and the problem got better. Upon closer inspection he said, I hate to tell you but it is your smile lines that are the problem. He said his mask had a lower profile and helped to keep the channels closed that appear when I smile or use a snorkel/regulator. Can anyone recommend a mask that is not outrageous. I won't be diving but a few times a year but in this case, it seems, even tho I may the rent the rest of my gear, a good fitting mask is important not only to keep from having to clear constantly but for my own enjoyment. His mask was an Omersub bandit. I also tried on Omersub Alien. Any ideas for some less expensive. It do want to be able to have maximum view....

Welcome! Sorry, no suggestions for masks.

Oh wait, found one...:D

:scubahelmet:

I've got a similar problem. I can't remember the name and manufacturer of my mask. However if you smooth your face after donning your mask it will help. Its a motion I can best describe as stroking an upside down mustache around the bottom rim of the mask.

AL

Laugh lines can be a problem, so can laughing. :)

Mask recommendations can't hurt but nothing will beat going to a serious dive shop with dozens of masks on the wall that you can try and maybe even take into a pool.

If your profile had more info, like where you are a member may be able to suggest a good shop.

Pete

I had the exact same issue during OW class and my instructor told me the same thing. The best mask I have found so far has been the Mares X-Vision

I have had dives where there were no leaks at all, and then sometimes it feels like I am back on the certification dives, but a little adjustment and i can usually get it to stop the leak.

One good thing is that mask clearing was not a problem at all - practice, practice

But I think the advice above is the best - go to the shop and try on every mask - make sure you have a snorkel or reg. in your mouth and you will find one that fits you best.

Although I dont know if a leak proof mask exists, at least for me

As said above, the best thing is to go in to your LDS and try as many as you can till you find one that works. I have also heard of a few people who have used a little vasaline on the skirt to help it seal.

i never had a mask problem i just tried alot of them on till one fitted properly... what i did was face upwards put the mask on (with out the straps) and tried to keep it on my face with out sucking in if you can do it.. the mask shouldnt leak as many mask are made diffrently..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom