Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What can I say, I smoke and I have done it on dive boats, Sitting (or standing) on the aft deck with the boat under way. ONE there is NO WAY my smoking can bother you in this way. I usually cant smell the smoke myself over the exhaust of the boat. I do not smoke in covered areas, I agree this would be rude, but something I have noticed is there is a large population of wining wennies that think there opinion should be everyones. And they do what they can to impose it. So in short, Smokers.....be courteous, some folks don't care for the smell of tobacco smoke, I can respect that as should we all. Non-Smokers: If a smoker is trying to smoke in a area as to not offend you, don't go over to him, if you do that's your fault not his. Non-Smoking Nazis: Perhapse you should be tossed overboard anyhow.

You bastard!!!!!

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for smokers on dive boats!

Wait, it's red wing fans. Dammit, sorry Todd, I got you mixed up with someone else.

You bastard!!!!!

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for smokers on dive boats!

Wait, it's red wing fans. Dammit, sorry Todd, I got you mixed up with someone else.

now if Steve Yzermann ever smokes on a dive boat they are going to need a deeper circle :)

Personally, smoking doesn't bother me unless it's extreme and concentrated. I find addictive behavior to be sad, as well as obesity.

Consider where smokers are coming from and why they started. Take a look at page four under the heading Organic Disease.
"Finding`addiction attributable to characteristics that are intrinsic in early life experiences challenges the​
conventional concept of addiction."
http://johnnyturtle.com/felitti.pdf On the middle of page two there are some things said about obesity also. These studies have been replicated time and time again. To this day 460,000? people and counting have been poled by the Center for Disease Control. That article was from early in the study but it's relatively short, replicated many times, easy to read and covers many bases.

Edit: Find out how messed up you are by adversive childhood experiences! http://acestudy.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/ACE_Calculator-English.127143712.pdf

Last edited:
Interesting replies so far. Some very colorful, passionate responses from both non-smokers and those with increased dead brain cells from the carbon monoxide adhering to the hemoglobin 200 times stronger than oxygen.

Does that include Scuba Board?

You may smoke and peruse scubaboard but don't burn your house down by careless smoking, because I'll feel offended by the pollution. When I let myself be offended, I can't control my emotions and want you to do it for me. I feel justified to do so, because that's the way I feel. Feeling offended tickles the pleasure center of my brain and I get a little high similar to a small amphetamine dose. Even if my thinking is irrational, illogical and whiney, I like the reward of the amphetamine high feeling my brain gives me, so I'll repeat this behavior frequently like an addict.......

Huh? I can smell a smoker from hundreds of meters away if the wind is right.

Really? So just exactly how are we going to attain this scent free environment?? Let me make it very clear that I do not smoke! However, provided that smoke isn't being blown directly in my face, I couldn't care less if someone smokes. I have smelt some non-smokers from hundreds of meters away - talk about offensive!! Methane can be deadly. :wow:

Really? So just exactly how are we going to attain this scent free environment?? Let me make it very clear that I do not smoke! However, provided that smoke isn't being blown directly in my face, I couldn't care less if someone smokes. I have smelt some non-smokers from hundreds of meters away - talk about offensive!! Methane can be deadly. :wow:
Oh I was waiting for somebody to bring up the fart argument. You can't compare a natural bodily function with something that some people only do because they think they enjoy it. And I'm sure you never had anyone get up and fart in your face because they thought it would be funny. Not on a dive boat, anyway, I hope :tongue:

I'm sure you never had anyone get up and fart in your face because they thought it would be funny.

I wish that were the case. However it has not happened on a dive boat (yet).

Oh I was waiting for somebody to bring up the fart argument. You can't compare a natural bodily function with something that some people only do because they think they enjoy it. And I'm sure you never had anyone get up and fart in your face because they thought it would be funny. Not on a dive boat, anyway, I hope :tongue:

Well actually I've had the misfortune of being in the presence of someone on a dive boat who repeatedly "relieved himself" and would just laugh about it. I finally told him, loud enough for everyone to hear, that it smelt as tho his nappy needed changing. Lmao. Then he turned bright red! Furthermore, it's not just farting I was referring to; personal hygiene isn't high on everyone's priorities. :errrr:

All I'm saying is that we're all in it together so a little tolerance and common courtesy - on BOTH sides - makes everything doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom