Snap Shackles & Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use them in Public Safety Diving for attaching the diver to a search line. Easier to release in an emergency than a carabiner or bolt snap if the line is under load.

An example of a good application would be on a lift bag to attach a load that could be easily dropped in an emergency.

I have read stories about SMB's dragging a diver to the surface and thought of this application. I also realize that the real problem is lack of training in that situation. I never thought of using one when lifting an object, but it makes sense.

We've used them as a quick release to a blue-water diving rig.

I've actually had bad luck using that style for spinnaker sheets (prefer the speedlink style release), although I do use them for hauls.

We use them for connecting a scooter to the "O" ring attachment point on the crotch strap. They are a little more difficult to close/engage with gloves on but release is quick and easy.

No I do not. they look hard to use with thick gloves on.

They look like they'd be more difficult to operate with one hand.

Too complicated for one hand use. I'd guess also more expensive than a regular bolt snap.

For diving, you are supposed to put a lanyard on the release ring. Their forte is they are very fast to release under fairly heavy loads. They are easy to snap shut or release one-handed (with a lanyard), are super secure, and are well suited for:
  • Securing heavier or more valuable loads, like large cameras rigs
  • Snapping into smaller diameter down and decom lines, because the large eye allows them to fit and slide
  • Buddy lines in black water
  • Snap shackles (sometimes called Spinnaker shackles because that was their first use) are virtually the universal standard for attaching an umbilical to a harness in commercial, scientific, and military diving. (there’s one on my Avatar near the right thumb)
  • Securing a line to a wreak
They are usually pretty expensive compared to bolt or trigger snaps. I don’t see them as a good choice for clipping off a light or octo to a harness. Deep wreak divers should use one on their harness attached to a stainless O-ring where they clip off all their tools. That way they can easily transfer the tools to a downline for the next divers or quickly dump the lot in an emergency or serious entanglement.

They are also available with fixed, swivel, and swivel clevis bales (pin-shackle) Clevis bales makes it easier to attach to a welded D or O-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom