Snorkle Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wife, kid and I are thinking about snorkling at avalon. Is that feasible or not worth the trouble? Is a 3 mil and hooded vest doable there?

Before I got certified I Loved snorkeling at Catalina - I would actually snorkel above the divers. I saw a blue shark as a matter of fact... Great fun!! Two weekends ago we went over to go diving and the water temp was 73 degrees at 25'; I was wearing a 7 mil and felt it was actually too warm... next weekend hoping to do a 3 mil and hooded vest

The water depth off Catalina generally drops off quickly. However Lover's Cove has a shallow slope and is good for snorkeling. The dive park is good close to the breakwater... although please make sure snorkelers don't block the stairs and move away from the area in front of them to snorkel. Best snorkeling IMHO is to the right of the stairs between the breakwater and the inner edge of the kelp forest. Vis has been GREAT the past 5 days and water temps have been as high as 77 F surface in the last two weeks (but generally low 70s). I got 75 F at depth (~60 fsw) on one dive recently.

Back
Top Bottom