So Confused about fins :sigh:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weenerdogg:
I have decided that i am going with open heels. What I have read it really depends on how you kick to decide what kind of fins you need HOWEVER I have never dove before so I have no idea how I kick. Jeez. i did read the split vs non split thread but am still not sure what works. I wish I could rent.

Every type of kick has to be learned, you can also easily learn several different kicks (which will most likely not be taught in your BOW class) to give you several to choose from based on the conditions of your dives. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm halfway down the page there is a section called "skills" and there are video clips of various finning techniques. Check out the Frog, Modified Frog, Modified Flutter, Helicopter turn, and Backwards kick. These were all done using paddle fins (Scubapro Jet fins) the other good thing about jets is that they are not expensive ($61 from Leisurepro.com) so they make a nice "first" pair of fins that will allow you to grow with them as long as you want. If you ever decide to get split fins in the future you can make that choice without being out of a lot of money for your first pair.

Have fun learning everything.

Aloha, Tim

I use scubapro Jets and I agree with what everyone says about them. Its an all rounder! Though they were not the fins on which I learnt diving on I wish I had them from the beginning. Its a robust basic fin that doesnt give you cramps, gives good propulsion and ideal stability. Plus its not a very long fin either so its a lot easier to carry around.

Ok, I'll chime here again. Although I like my Quattros, I've been *considering* the Jet fins because of all I've heard about them. They Qs are a bit hard to do a backwards kick with because they are so long.

Hi weenerdogg,

I would agree with most of the folks here in that try then buy.

Since you would be doing a OW class, won't you have access to some fins? I suggest that you try then buy. I should know I have 5 pairs of fins at home and only 1 pair of feet LOL!

If you had to buy a pair of fins then get the jet fins from Ebay but make sure that it is the version with the lightning bolt.

Cheers,

SangP

you are doing you OW class, don't be thinking about tech or some other wierd specialty. You will be better served just being in the water and learning how to swim and do all the stuff you need to dive. You will do a serious disservice to yourself if you get wrapped up in 10 different kick styles and stage bottles and blah blah blah. Just go blow bubbles and have fun, then you can join the hypsters and discuss the merits of kick a in conditions b and how they perform when the humidity is low and the turbidity is high blah blah blah.

Have fun, but remember if you get caught up in stuff on this board too soon, its going to make your class less fun and more confusing.

radinator:
Ok, I'll chime here again. Although I like my Quattros, I've been *considering* the Jet fins because of all I've heard about them. They Qs are a bit hard to do a backwards kick with because they are so long.

I used the same pair of Quattros for 7 1/2 years and switched to Jet Fins in December when I started diving doubles and had trouble keeping my butt down (its rather large and displaces quite a bit of water
04.gif
). I know they are supposed to be better for finning backwards but I'm not proficient enough yet to tell.

I sure miss the comfort of my Quattros, I have short wide feet (8 4E) and I wish the XL Jet Fins were just a wee bit wider. I should look for thinner booties, but the ones I have now are already relatively thin.

I was borrowing Jet Fins until this past weekend when I finally bought a pair.

I miss my Quattros
17.gif

Drew

kidspot:
Every type of kick has to be learned, you can also easily learn several different kicks (which will most likely not be taught in your BOW class) to give you several to choose from based on the conditions of your dives. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm halfway down the page there is a section called "skills" and there are video clips of various finning techniques. Check out the Frog, Modified Frog, Modified Flutter, Helicopter turn, and Backwards kick. These were all done using paddle fins (Scubapro Jet fins) the other good thing about jets is that they are not expensive ($61 from Leisurepro.com) so they make a nice "first" pair of fins that will allow you to grow with them as long as you want. If you ever decide to get split fins in the future you can make that choice without being out of a lot of money for your first pair.

Have fun learning everything.

Aloha, Tim

Thank you for that link. Exactly what I have been looking for to learn new kicks. Its much easier to actually be able to see them rather then just read about them. I have Quattros also and have been thinking about getting Jet Fins. Are the Jet Fins negative? I could use some weight on my feet. My Quattros float wich dosnt help my trim. Thanks again :)

I did OW recently and my LDS had a variety of fins to try. Try one set one day, and another the next and so on. That way you can "shop" without buying. I settled on the Scubapro Twin Jets open heels. To me they kick easy, good thrust and comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom