So Confused about fins :sigh:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ill give the advice of a rather new diver. Get the jetfins. I own three pairs of fins. An original set of Jetfins from the 60s (that prove these things are indestructable) that were to small for me in boots. They were the fins my dad used and he swore by them. I wish I had listened. I used them for a while but they were mediums and to small for me. I got a pair of Atomic Aquatic Splitfins. Spent way to much because I got an all black speciality version it was a over run for some one. I used this fin for about a year and then started using the jetfins again this year without the boots because I could get a better kickstroke and they greatly improved my body position. To some it up I bought a pair of used Xlarge jetfins on ebay(yes I was a skeptic) for 25 dollars. They look brand new are indestructable and are the same dog-gone fin that my dad used only with the addition of a lightening bolt to the logo. Plus is some parts of the world they are the Rolls Royce, sexy fin believe it or not even though they are mostly like the Ford Model T you can have them in any color as long as its black

Erik

PS. I know I know you can get them in yellow and pink but come on how many of those have you ever seen...

Quick new buyer question. Which fins have been around the longest, with no change in design, are practically indestructable, and are still recommended for all levels of scuba diving?

How about a set of those!

ScubaTwo:
I have Quattros also and have been thinking about getting Jet Fins. Are the Jet Fins negative? I could use some weight on my feet. My Quattros float wich dosnt help my trim. Thanks again :)
The JetFins are negative, but not negative enough to affect your trim, I don't think. I remember asking in some other thread whether steel spring straps might add a little bit of weight to the fins (in response to somebody who was asking about using ankle weights), but don't remember anybody responding to that question. I don't have spring straps on mine. I think they're just negative enough so that if you drop one, you should look for it on the bottom instead of on the surface. Otherwise, not negative enough to make any other difference.

I agree with somebody upstream who said that a diver who is just starting out doesn't need to be concerned with learning a dozen varieties of kicks and their variations. Neither do most experienced recreational divers need to know more than a couple or a very few - I think most of those skills beyond a basic few are only truly "critical" in the presence of silt where you can destroy your visibility if you don't know how to move around without stirring it up. For most of the rest of us, they are useful skills, but like everything else it depends on the kind of diving you're doing. Backing up is good for photography and helpful for backing out of confined spaces and more generally for showing off.

But even if you don't need a particular skill for your diving, it isn't a bad idea to have the tools that are well suited for skills you might want to learn in the future, and that may make them easier to learn. JetFins do make such things easier because they are stiff and don't have very long blades, so control over motion going from your foot to the fin is easier to master.

I think backing up comes in handy all around. I wasnt taught this in my ow or aow. Its much better then pushing off a reef to back up. IMHO. I watched all the film clips on that sight. It was very imformative and well done.

I have Scubapro Jets and Mares Avantis (a predecessor to the Quattro). Both are excellent fins, and I suspect that you'll be very happy with either.

Im getting the Jet Fins! woohooooooooo :dazzler1:

ShakaZulu:
My friend, save your money and buy right the first time. Invest in a pair of Scuba Pro Jet Fins. I was skeptical at first, but they prevailed and in my mind is the Mercedes of fins. Very comfortable, lots of thrust and allow you to have a lot of control.

http://store.yahoo.com/leisure-pro/scpfj.html

ScubaToys may have them too, give Larry a call. Later you can attach spring straps, and off you go.........

How exactly do you give Larry a call? I went to the leisure pro site you posted. Very good prices but the customer service wasnt any were near as what I have experienced at scubatoys. I dont mean to slam anyone. I got a scooter for hubby for christmas and I guess scubatoys spoiled me :/ But I cant find Jet Fins on their site. And the spring straps are more expensive on scubatoys...sorry just thinking out loud.

ScubaTwo:
How exactly do you give Larry a call? I went to the leisure pro site you posted. Very good prices but the customer service wasnt any were near as what I have experienced at scubatoys. I dont mean to slam anyone. I got a scooter for hubby for christmas and I guess scubatoys spoiled me :/ But I cant find Jet Fins on their site. And the spring straps are more expensive on scubatoys...sorry just thinking out loud.
Call up ScubaToys. As I understand, they're not allowed to sell ScubaPro products on the web site.. but call them up and they will accomodate.

jonnythan:
Call up ScubaToys. As I understand, they're not allowed to sell ScubaPro products on the web site.. but call them up and they will accomodate.

Ohhhhhhh gotcha. Thanks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom