So Confused about fins :sigh:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weenerdogg:
It sounds like the Jets have alot of fans! Are there any that a new diver should stay away from?
Sure.

Anything that's not a pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins :wink:

I think no matter what you do, you’ll probably end up buying another pair of fins eventually.

I have a pair of Mares Volos with spring straps added on later that were my first pair of fins. I have a pair of Dive Rite fins with spring straps for drysuit diving, and.... And a pair of closed heel fins for swim training and snorkeling. And I’m probably going to buy another pair this summer for a new wetsuit fin… It never ends.

jonnythan:
Sure.

Anything that's not a pair of ScubaPro Jet Fins :wink:
Oh, yeah? TURTLES. I love mine.

Stirling:
Backing up is good for photography and helpful for backing out of confined spaces and more generally for showing off.
Backing up can be MUCH more useful than just that. I know. I can't do the darned thing and often wish I could.

Rick Inman:
Oh, yeah? TURTLES. I love mine.
Backing up can be MUCH more useful than just that. I know. I can't do the darned thing and often wish I could.

Agreed on both counts :wink: I've got a pair of Turtles that I loan out - they get a lot of use :)

Backing up is something I am working on too...it would have come in handy when I was getting a wee bit too close to that crown of thorns the other day... or when I wanted to sit really close to that coral head without the surge pushing me into it so I could watch the turkey fish 2 days ago... or when waiting at the upline in a group like happens at Molokini when 12 of you are doing a safety stop and trying not to run into each other ...

I may be new and unable to do it well/reliably, but there have been many times it would have made my dive just a little bit more enjoyable than having to make a big loop around so I could catch a glimpse of that octopus one more time before passing it again ...

No one said a new diver has to learn all those kicks right away - but why get a fin that won't let you learn them in the future as easily? We're not talking tech divers or any such thing, just guys wanting to look at the pretty fish as much and as long as possible.

I started out in a wonderful pair of Aires Velocities - they were nice for snorkeling, but they have set in a bag ever since I switched to Jets, because I like Jets for snorkeling better...

Just my .01 cents (can't afford any more than that with my experience yet :wink: )

Aloha, Tim

If you are buying your fins from the shop where you are taking the class ask for their return/exchange policy. And also ask if you can try a variety during the pool sessions. You need to find a fin that works for you - is comfortable, easy to get in and out of and that you feel moves you through the water well.

I have three sets of fins but I do different kinds of diving and each are good for different situations. Love my splits (Atomics) for deeper dives but hate them for beach dives - they love to play with the flag, and they can be a pain in heavy currents.

But as has been said in an earlier post - don't get too wrapped up in advanced stuff at this stage. If diving becomes a passion for you then you will have lots of opportunities, and desire, to acquire gear. For now stick with fit and comfort.

What, Jets? Or fins in general? Jets only come in one fin. Several different sizes. Make sure you get the size that fits with your boots on. Fins in general? Most of them are adequate for recreational diving and will work decently for you. Its a matter of which fins you individually prefer - so its an entirely subjective issue. I'd stay away from Force fins, at least as a new OW diver. They bring their own set of issues to the table. But thats just MHO... YMMV.

Rick Inman:
Oh, yeah? TURTLES. I love mine. Backing up can be MUCH more useful than just that. I know. I can't do the darned thing and often wish I could.
Okay, I admit I probably misunderestimated the usefulness of backing up. Outside of wrecks and photographers (and I don't go into tight caves) I have seen a lot more people practicing and showing each other backing up than I have ever seen using it for a reason in open water.

I have strong feelings about people crowding the coral or other living things so much that the only way they can back off is to swim backwards, although I admit that backing up would be useful in those cases and is certainly preferable to *pushing off* to back away. I am okay with photographers getting in close, and that is what I had in mind when I posted earlier. I guess everybody has their pet peeves, and that is one of mine.

I can't back up with a damn in my split fins. That is to say, I can sort of back up, but it is so awkward that I can't do it reliably or smoothly. I have had them for less than a year, and haven't really worked at it steadily, so maybe it will come to me at some point. I know others who can, but it's easier to learn with a smaller stiff blade like the Jet Fins.

ShakaZulu:
My friend, save your money and buy right the first time. Invest in a pair of Scuba Pro Jet Fins. I was skeptical at first, but they prevailed and in my mind is the Mercedes of fins. Very comfortable, lots of thrust and allow you to have a lot of control.

http://store.yahoo.com/leisure-pro/scpfj.html

ScubaToys may have them too, give Larry a call. Later you can attach spring straps, and off you go.........

Ick. Ick. Ick. I had some fins like this years ago. I'm so happy I finally got rid of them. Cave divers may love them for the control and ability to move around without kicking up silt. They can have them. I like the Tusa Zooms and Atomics so much better. Oceanic Caribes are great full-foot fins dirt cheap at leisure pro and VERY efficient.

Gear is a personal thing. There ain't no best for everyone. If that were the case, all fins would be the same. Try before you buy! Buy what you like!

OK, here are some more questions...

1. Are all Jets the same...there seems to be a belief that new jets perform differently than old jets? And if there is a difference, how do you tell them apart?
2. Spring straps...if I understand correctly, jets from different years have different strap connectors which effect what type strap will work?
3. Turtles...are Jet clones? who makes them?

I need to make a decison about something or I'm going to bust, what mask, what fin, what breather, what BCD....ahhhh, somebody get the straight jacket.

havaiisteve:
OK, here are some more questions...

1. Are all Jets the same...there seems to be a belief that new jets perform differently than old jets? And if there is a difference, how do you tell them apart?
2. Spring straps...if I understand correctly, jets from different years have different strap connectors which effect what type strap will work?
3. Turtles...are Jet clones? who makes them?

I need to make a decison about something or I'm going to bust, what mask, what fin, what breather, what BCD....ahhhh, somebody get the straight jacket.

1) The composition of the rubber changed - if I remember correctly they are now slightly less negative and a bit stiffer. The newer Jets have a lightning bolt on them - the older Jets do not.

2) All the Jets I have seen use the same pin style connector - some other brands of fins (Quattros, etc) use a post style that require a different Spring strap connection point

3) Turtles are "similar" to jets, but not clones like the rockets would be considered (though even they are different) You can see the difference between Turtles and Jets here: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html - Turtles are 1/8" wider and about 1" shorter, with a softer, more flexible feel to them and only come in one size (approx 12-14) fortunately they are a size between the XL and XXL Jet fins. Also the foot pocket is more flexible and much more likely to conform to your foot. The pair I have are made by IDI - Someone can correct me, but I think they were recently sold to a new manufacturer.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If you don't have a large foot, then don't worry because Turtles won't fit - if you are interestetd in trying both come on over to Maui and I'll let you try them out- plus get a couple of dives in at the same time :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom