So Confused about fins :sigh:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
1) 3) Turtles are "similar" to jets, but not clones like the rockets would be considered (though even they are different) You can see the difference between Turtles and Jets here: http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html - Turtles are 1/8" wider and about 1" shorter, with a softer, more flexible feel to them and only come in one size (approx 12-14) fortunately they are a size between the XL and XXL Jet fins. Also the foot pocket is more flexible and much more likely to conform to your foot. The pair I have are made by IDI - Someone can correct me, but I think they were recently sold to a new manufacturer.

Turtles are now produced by XS Scuba (http://www.xsscuba.com/fins.php). I bought a pair of the XS Scuba Turtles recently and I found they are very "mushy" in the foot pocket. Way to flexible for my liking; I did one dive and gave them to a friend.

I had bought them because they are so bloody wide and I have wide feet, but they were too wide for my feet (ordered without trying them on as I live in China). I've now bought a new pair of Jets and will live with them being a bit tight.

Drew

weenerdogg:
I have decided that i am going with open heels. What I have read it really depends on how you kick to decide what kind of fins you need HOWEVER I have never dove before so I have no idea how I kick. Jeez. i did read the split vs non split thread but am still not sure what works. I wish I could rent.

The easist way to make the decision is to think about what kind of diving you're going to be doing. Split fins will win a speed test any day, so if you're diving in current or want an easier kick over distance, go with them. If you want precision control (little or no current, fine control over position movement, easier reverse fining, better frog kick) go for stiffer conventional fins. Personally I think the whole argument over the differences is a bit overblown.

On the open/closed heel issue... once you get used to them, open heel offer more versatility of use and longer life, but can take some people a while to get used to.

My advise to you.. buy the ones you like at the moment and change them if you don't like them later. Don't buy a very expensive pair.. there's plenty out there for $50.

happybuddha:
Turtles are now produced by XS Scuba (http://www.xsscuba.com/fins.php). I bought a pair of the XS Scuba Turtles recently and I found they are very "mushy" in the foot pocket. Way to flexible for my liking; I did one dive and gave them to a friend.

I had bought them because they are so bloody wide and I have wide feet, but they were too wide for my feet (ordered without trying them on as I live in China). I've now bought a new pair of Jets and will live with them being a bit tight.

Drew

Hey Drew,

Would you mind sending me the type of boots you are wearing along with your shoe size (US)? I'll add your comments to my fincomparison chart for folks deciding between Turtles and Jets.

You're right about them being big . . . just be glad you didn't get the XXL Jets - they are about 30% larger in the foot pocket (though much stiffer composition)

Thanks, Tim

Most OW courses require that you purchase mask, fins and snorkle by the third class. Equipment sales are where the profits of the business are derived from. This forces the new student to make an equipment choice without adequate preparation.

I purchased a pair of JetFins in 1968 for $20.00 which was the highest price of any fin at the time. After about 20 years they lost there snap and rebound. Now, if you bend them they remain bent. The basic design has not changed over the years but the composition has improved as material technology has developed.

The original marketing ploy behind split fins was to reduce effort, not ito increase propulsion. This way people could use big macho fins without cramping up. I can swim away from divers of all ages who are using split fins with my short Force Fins. (I am not advocating this brand for everyone) I feel that short fins are easier to pack, handle on the boat and in the water. The ease of handling in the water is better for the protection of fragile reefs.

As others have stated, the selection of fins is personal, like buying shoes. Unfortunately, like shoes, sometimes you do not know if they are right until several hours or days of use. Booty types and thicknesses can do a lot for comfort and fit but not a whole lot for performance and function.

I would suggest to the new diver to try out many different fins, even for only a few laps of the pool. Also, see if you can use the pool during non-class time and try out even more equipment for longer times. Shops with on site pools will let you do this.

cagemaker

cagemaker:
As others have stated, the selection of fins is personal, like buying shoes. Unfortunately, like shoes, sometimes you do not know if they are right until several hours or days of use. Booty types and thicknesses can do a lot for comfort and fit but not a whole lot for performance and function.

I would suggest to the new diver to try out many different fins, even for only a few laps of the pool. Also, see if you can use the pool during non-class time and try out even more equipment for longer times. Shops with on site pools will let you do this.

cagemaker

This is so true. I prefer the shops that keep some "try me out" gear that you can test out in some of the pool sessions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom