So confused with Jacket BC's & BP/W's!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These "bp/w vs the rest of the world" debates are usually passionate and frequently a hoot to read.

My opinion... If you're wanting to do very deep dives (over 130 feet) or penetrate to the interior of wrecks/caves you need specialized training and the appropriate gear. Diving around the exterior of a wreck or swimming through it, when you can clearly see the exit, isn't a big deal to me.

If I was going to penetrate wrecks or caves with the need for dual tanks, slung or sidemount tanks and carry the appropriate lighting and etc., I would buy a bp/w because I believe the hard metal plate provides a more stable platform for managing the extra weight and strain on the equipment. A plus for the bp/w is that for people who are very, very large or very, very small, getting a good fit may be easier.

Most of the other stuff is hype that's biased toward ones own gear choice. Like a bp/w's metal plate puts more weight up on your back helping you trim out horizontally - that's why the other types of BC's have trim weight pouches which accomplish the same thing. Another is simplicity. Bp/w's are simplistic - till you wish you had pockets or integrated weights. Start adding weight harnesses, weight pouches or add-on pockets and they're not so simple anymore. And sure you can choose to deal with a weight belt. Then there's streamlining - actually, it's pretty hard to get more streamlined than with a BC like, for example, a Scubapro Classic. Remember, there's no "wing taco" issue with a jacket style BC. For all those who don't like the wrap around feel of a jacket style or even a cummerbund, there's those who like that feel/fit better. More hype is bp/w's are infinately adjustable and therefore fit better. For those who are more typical in build that's not an issue. Another is less lead is needed with a bp/w because there's no padding. Well, that's provided you don't end up adding padding but still it's only a couple of pounds anyway. I suppose if your needing 20-30 lbs of lead then shedding 2 lbs has some merit. One more I can think of is "a bp/w will grow with you." I suppose that's true as the plate isn't going to ware out and you can switch from small singles wings to larger doubles wings - at about $300 a pop. Here you are buying your first BC and if you don't feel you'll ever be able to buy another one then that's a consideration.

I'm a recreational diver and I've dived bp/w's and there's not a single thing WRONG with them. There's not a single thing SPECIAL either. They have their place and their following. So do Jeep Wranglers.

It would be nice if you had the opportunity to try all 3 types before buying but we usually don't want to go through all that hassle. The big thing is not to over think it. The shops in your area will give you reasonable advice. When you walk in the store and there's 50 BC's for every bp/w that'll tell you something. If it's the reverse, that tells you something else.

Want to be confused some more? Go over to the Fin's forum and ask if you should choose paddles or splits. BCD's, fins, masks, etc., it's mostly individual opinion until you get into the specialized diving situations. If you're looking to do that in the future - technical diving as its usually called - then listen to those who've been there, done that where you plan to do it.

Again, don't over think it. If you have a group of dive buddy's you'll probably be the happiest using something similar to what they use.

Good luck and happy diving.

Last edited:
wow, this kinda thing happens everytime 'what is better?" is discussed.

people should lighten up. I know the original poster wants to get 'opinions' but he will get opinions for both sides. Gear envy is very common and often can get in the way of sound judgement.

I like reading the posts though I would not necessarily say I have a definite preference.

I have had my gear for a long time and must admit that I feel fortunate that I never felt the need to replace my SP Jacket Style BC and SP MK10/G250 regs.

I see new gear at the shop and on other divers but have not seen anything revolutionary enough to make me consider replacing my gear. Did buy a new dive computer (Mares Nemo) but like my old ORCA Skinny Dipper because of the Large Readouts.

Anyway, enjoy all the posts on this thread.

"This is my Rifle. There are many others like it but this one is mine"

I hope you find the right BC for you and never have to look back.

Just to weigh in a little, I agree the BP/W is a good system for any diver, but I would NOT recommend a system with no ditchable weight to a new diver. Please, if you go with a BP, wear a weight belt until you are totally confident and experienced enough to bolt the weights up to your backplate.

Just to weigh in a little, I agree the BP/W is a good system for any diver, but I would NOT recommend a system with no ditchable weight to a new diver. Please, if you go with a BP, wear a weight belt until you are totally confident and experienced enough to bolt the weights up to your backplate.

This is another hot topic of controversy but I agree to a point with what your saying. I am the guy with no ditch-able weight who dives solo and doesn't use a dive flag so maybe its just the deviant in me but I think the whole idea of leaving that lead on the bottom to be crazy once you pass that open water status.

In the beginning when its just 60ft and short dive times on a single tank then go ahead and use weight that can be lost but after that the idea of bolting starts to make me cringe. Sure I suppose you can fix bent and you cant fix drown but thats a risk I am prepared to take.

"bolting" weight to your plate clears up some clutter and for me thats enough of a reason to not use weight pockets but I also get that warm fuzzy feeling when I know my gear can NOT accidentally be dropped.

When you see 2 divers struggling to help a 3rd diver replace his 35lb weight belt while standing on the bottom in 100ft of water it starts to make a person think...

+1 BP/W - Can be reconfigured to suit whatever diving you are planning to do. Al plate with integrated webbing for a vacation, singles, doubles, small wing, big wing, integrated weights, weight belt - Reconfigure as you need.

Dwayne

It is real simple:

I say a simple Hog rigged BP/wing (if you must have a BC) is the only way to go

My wife says (if she must have a BC) that a super padded, cute poodle jacket is the only way to go.

N

Re: ditchable weight

The first step in rescue when you get a diver to the surface is to establish positive buoyancy. This almost always starts by inflating the BC (if it is still functional or if there is still air in the tank) and ditching weight. If there is no ditchable weight, the rescuer will probably have to figure that out (wasting time) and then start ditching gear.

Once the BC/tank are gone, one tow method (the tank tow) is out the window.

Remember, your wetsuit doesn't decompress all that fast and you won't be as positive at the surface following a recovery from depth as you were at the start of the dive.

There is also the matter of weight. If you have most of you ballast on your rig, you will have to lift about 70# onto your back all at once. I am far too old to do something like that.

I like the idea of the SS backplate for helping with trim. Of course, the HP 100 helps by being negative and somewhat short (compared to Al 80). But I'll keep the remaining ballast on my harness where it is easily donned and carried. When the ditching handles are pulled (at the surface), I am immediately 20# more buoyant than I was.

Richard

Last edited:
I dive a BP/W AND a Zeagle Stiletto (back inflate BC).

For most of the diving world IMO a BP/W is pointless. I use a BP/W for ONE reason, and that is to distribute/add weight when wearing a Drysuit. My plate and STA weigh 12lbs.

BP/W's are less comfortable topside, they don't have weight integration, they are as or more expensive than standard BC's, and they provide little/no benefit to the rec diver vs. a back inflate BC UNLESS one wants to take weight off their belt. For doubles, IMO they are the only option. However MOST do not dive doubles, or need to. Everyone says adding weight pockets is easy. IMO just the opposite. Most are poorly designed, and feel cumbersome on the belt. Most use a weight belt rather than some sort of straw mans weight integration system. That adds additional expense. If you need to carry much weight the cheap O weight belt is not the best option.

As for modularity, I dove with my instructor buddy Kent last weekend, and he was swopping his 30lbs wing with a 45lbs wing on his Zeagle Ranger. He likes the extra lift for Open water teaching. So there it is, the modular non-BP/W BC. I could do the same on my Stiletto.

95% of the diving world dives traditional BC's. Heck the DM's in Coz with thousands of dives dove jacket style BC's, and they dove like fish. SB seems to be the anomaly.

I have and do recommend BP/W's for divers who need to dive with a lot of weight. I generally do NOT recommend a BP/W for a rec diver who likes to travel, and do a bit of diving. For those, I like the Zeagle line of BC's because they are modular, and highly adjustable however there are a lot of good BC's out there.

Your LDS is going to try to sell you whatever THEY stock. SB members are going to tell you that a BP/W is THE WAY TO GO! Somewhere in the middle lies the truth! However give the LDS a chance. Unfortunately chances are their pricing will be WAY over the top. I would not hesitate to purchase used as a LOT of folks get certified, buy gear, do ONE trip, and stop. There is a lot of good used stuff out there, and that is a great way to test the waters without committing a lot of funds.

Ron, you're right -- the vast majority of the diving world doesn't use a backplate. But I revel in the freedom of diving in Maui with a stainless steel plate and only two additional pounds -- nothing on the front of me, and effortlessly horizontal. And I'm extremely grateful, in the cold water of Puget Sound, for the three pounds I jettisoned when I gave up the padding on a standard back-inflate BC.

The most important thing about gear is that it has to fit you, be comfortable to dive in, and work. Beyond that, one can think about total ballast, and how to arrange ballast for the most comfortable and effortless diving. In water water, many things will work. In cold water, we have to give a great deal more thought to anything we have to sink, whether that's a padded BC or fluffy undergarments.

The biggest negative for my BP/W is the pain of getting into the non-adjustable harness on a small rocking boat while trying to balance the tank on a gunnel. I guess I could put adjustablle quick releases into it easily enough. The major positive for me with the BP/W is that it allows clipping off of the stage bottle much easier.

I also modify my BC harnesses to remove the cummerbund and replace with a simple buckle and elastic rubber belt which allows easier breathing and adjusts for suit compression.

I haven't done a dive needing a stage bottle in 3 months and have been using a jacket BC for the entire time. It is just easier to get into and out of. I also added a crotch strap to my jacket BC and this makes the rig much more stable when i have to put a bunch of air in the BC.

Back
Top Bottom