So confused with Jacket BC's & BP/W's!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important thing about gear is that it has to fit you, be comfortable to dive in, and work. In water water, many things will work. In cold water, we have to give a great deal more thought to anything we have to sink, whether that's a padded BC or fluffy undergarments.

It may surprise you to know I COMPLETELY agree with you! :D I also dive cold (fresh), and would not trade my BP/W for that type of diving for anything else.

The right tool for the right job. I'd be more than happy to dive a BP/W in warm tropical waters, but mine is heavy and does not travel well.

The biggest negative for my BP/W is the pain of getting into the non-adjustable harness on a small rocking boat while trying to balance the tank on a gunnel.

I also modify my BC harnesses to remove the cummerbund and replace with a simple buckle and elastic rubber belt which allows easier breathing and adjusts for suit compression.

It is simple to add a quick release harness to a BP/W. It may not be DIR, but if that is not what you are going for, so what. I do use the one piece harness, and after a bit of diving, it's not difficult to get into/out of.

I like the Cummerbund on the Stiletto! I do not find it impacts my breathing. Compression is easy to deal with in the case of either setup, Just tighten the belt! I have an easier time adjusting my STUFF UW, and generally do so after entry. Generally just a quick pull in the belt, cummerbund or otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom