So what is wrong with Oceanic regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wondering, is there a problem with Oceanic regs? I noticed that anyone who is looking at regs never considers them. I have been diving with my Delta II for quite some time now and never had trouble once. Is this a fluke, or what? Are the newer regs worse than the old ones? Everyone seems to be focussed on Apeks, BIMHO, they are just remaufatured sequest regs. New name, new look, same company. But that is just my opinion. Thanks.

Everyone seems to be focussed on Apeks, BIMHO, they are just remaufatured sequest regs. New name, new look, same company. But that is just my opinion. Thanks.

That is an incorrect statement. First of all, Seaquest never made the Apeks regulator. Apeks is a British company, and Seaquest, now Aqualung, is the US distributor for them. They have always had the name APeks, even when Zeagle was the distributor for them. They are the same as they always have been, a good reg that is highly recommended by many people. It is an outstanding breather, and people dont have problems with them.

As far as Oceanic regs go, alot of people use them and are happy with them. They have some new regs out that are very good. The Gamma 2 is a good mid range reg, and the Delta 3 is also a nice adjustable reg. Also, the Zeta, is a cool little reg. Servo valve, and real tiny, good performer. FIrst stages are good too, the CDX-5, and DX-4 and the new FDX-10. Another reason to buy OCeanic, is that it is made in the USA!!!!! Not too many regulators can claim that...

My mistake. I received bad info from my LDS. Upon my own research I came across the Apeks history. Now comes the question...what makes them better than any other reg? I have heard lots about how people like them, but is there any significant reason why one should buy an Apeks reg over any of the other major brands or does it come down to personal preference? Just trying to feel them out as no one around here has actually dove with one before so there is no first hand information. Anyone wish to comment on comparisons between regs that they have used, please feel free to. As I have stated before, it is shopping season (the wife is gone for a while!). TIA.

Its just Brand Loyalty. Just like some people with cars. You bought a Chevy or Ford or BMW (or whatever) because you had one before and liked it, or your father had one. Same thing with regs. I like APeks because they have put together a good package. The reg looks appealing, it performs, and its a lightweight second stage. Its got an environmental seal, and the second stage has a heat exchanger to prevent freeze ups. I also like Oceanic, but IMO, the Apeks ATX-200 is a cut above the Delta 3. Stick to a major name brand, and you will be OK. LEts face it, 99% of the regulators on the market will work fine for recreational diving. IF you are thinking about doing deeper diving, or technical diving, then get a high performance reg.

Art, I dive Apeks, you're more then welcome to try out my DS4 ATX 50 if you'd like.

Why did I buy them? They've been tried and tested by some of the best Tech/Cave/Wreck divers in the world. If they give them a thumbs up, there isn't any reliablity questions left in my mind. I'm just entering that world and wanted the best equipment I could get.

They breath VERY nice too. The lifetime warrenty is also a bonus.

Willer

I have one of the original oceanic alpha regs and I have never had a problem with it. From coral reefs to kelp beds this reg has been there and never had a problem worse than a little bit of sand in it.

akforsyth once bubbled...
Anyone wish to comment on comparisons between regs that they have used, please feel free to. As I have stated before, it is shopping season (the wife is gone for a while!). TIA.

I use the Apeks TX100, it is durable, easy breathing and worked great for me. I have also used, Posiden, ScubaPro MK25/G500, Atomic, AquaLung, Oceanic and Dacor. I am an equipment tec so I get to try a lot of different regs. My personal opinion. If I were buying today and wanted a top notch system I would go for the Apeks TX50 or ScubaPro Mk25 with either the G250 or 500 2nd stage.

If you're gonna be diving cold water definitely go with the Apeks. If you buy the ScubaPro, IMHO, stick with the Mk20 or 25. I like their piston regs. That has been their bread and butter for years. The Atomic is an excellent reg too, I wouldn't be afraid to get one of theirs. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

I have dove with Oceanic for 15 years. I use the Omega because it is light weight and when I am in the water for 100 hours during the weekend teaching students, comfort is everything. I use them in high demand situations as well. They are durable, easily serviced, and reasonably priced. Good solid regulators for the money.

The weekend has 48 hours.

As far as the Oceanic, they look good on paper and are probably a fine reg. However, they recently recalled their popular diaphragm first stage and claimed that they didn't know why the unit had failed with dangerous consequences in some cases. This sounds fishy, like a lie. Others on this board say that is not a problem because the product now carries a different model number. BTW, the Genesis is very similar to the Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom