So.. which agency to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you choosing an agency at all? IMHO there's basically GUE which will require you to go through their curriculm start to finish. You will have a fair bit of confidence this is top shelf.

And everyone else where agency is really just letters on a card but instructor "makes" the course.

We have discussed this so many times here its insane. Agency is nearly worthless.
Most have non-existent quality control and there are loads of crappy instructors out there teaching crappy tech courses.

Sorry for not looking around before posting.. my bad.

Also thanks for the information, I can imagine that with Tech diving, choosing a good instructor is alot more important maybe than recreational scuba..
I will certainly take this on board..

Thanks for your help

that last bit depends on your experience. I'd rather have a dive buddy that went through one hell of an OW course where he learned all the basic skills required for tech diving, good buoyancy, trim and propulsion, and have a mediocre technical instructor than have it the other way around where the OW course was a waste of time, the good technical instructor then had to go and reteach him how to dive breaking bad habits, and teach new ones, and not do any "real" tech dives. Even with a mediocre instructor, you'll learn most from just going out and diving than you will in a class, so having a rock solid foundation I think is far more important than a kick ass tech instructor.
Obviously having good instructors for both is ideal, but if I was going through it again, I'd make sure I had a kick ass OW instructor that taught me the fundamentals of good diving from day 1, then at that point any technical training is truly furthering knowledge instead of having to unlearn and learn new stuff.

Well I'd like to think I know "advanced nitrox" and generally a large amount about decompression, decompression theory.. and the general "jist" of technical diving from the amount of time and research i've put into recreational diving + decompression, propulsion techniques, buoyancy etc etc.

I just simply want to put these into practice and want to do it the most efficient way I can which is why this thread came about
:)

cheers

thanks for the reply NetDoc..

From what I have heard.. TDI's courses are less uniform than PADI.. and alot is down to the instructor and his discretion.
Which sounds fantastic (find yourself a good instructor) and know alot more about tech diving in general, rather than being able to meet 'performance requirements'

I'm sure both are good, but any major differences someone could point out would be great

cheers

Yes the TDI courses are less structured than PADI and others TDI believes that there are many regional differences in the way diving is taught and allows instructors to make allowances for that.
There are many good instructors out there who have never taken a GUE class and I don't believe that GUE is the be-all-and-end-all of technical instruction that other will have you believe it is.
I do agree that finding a good instructor is way more important than finding the right agency but as an instructor trainer for TDI I really hate to hear instructors who want to get tech training so they can become a tech instructor. Get the training, do the dives and then see if you honestly feel you would make a good tech instructor.

I never at any point said I wanted to become a tech instructor..
I was speaking on behalf of Tech Instructors I knew.. to try and symbolise that they have tried both and have crossed over.. etc

I simply want to learn/try and enjoy tech diving at this stage.. as you say

I've stayed on the TDI "path" for now. Nitrox-Advanced Nitrox-Deco Procedures and now about to do Extended Range/Trimix.

For me it came down to a variety of factors including cost, location, instructor reputation, and instructor availability.

The Trimix course I'm about to do will be the 6th dive instructor I will have been educated by. I've had great instructors and so-so instructors. With the so-so instructors, I made sure I asked lots of questions and picked their brain to get the most out of them for my money. Sounds weird, I know.

For me, the courses are only the beginning. It's like learning to drive a car or taking flying lessons. When you get the piece of plastic that certifies you to do something, it's just the beginning. You will ultimately be the one who makes you a better diver with practice and experience.

I probably would have went UTD or GUE, but it could have cost me 5x as much once I figured in travel and course fees. I can use that difference to fund dives and become a better diver.

I've stayed on the TDI "path" for now. Nitrox-Advanced Nitrox-Deco Procedures and now about to do Extended Range/Trimix.

For me it came down to a variety of factors including cost, location, instructor reputation, and instructor availability.

The Trimix course I'm about to do will be the 6th dive instructor I will have been educated by. I've had great instructors and so-so instructors. With the so-so instructors, I made sure I asked lots of questions and picked their brain to get the most out of them for my money. Sounds weird, I know.

For me, the courses are only the beginning. It's like learning to drive a car or taking flying lessons. When you get the piece of plastic that certifies you to do something, it's just the beginning. You will ultimately be the one who makes you a better diver with practice and experience.

I probably would have went UTD or GUE, but it could have cost me 5x as much once I figured in travel and course fees. I can use that difference to fund dives and become a better diver.

Cheers for the insight.. I've heard great reviews of a few instructors I'm interested in choosing.. it just so happens they both teach TDI.. so it looks like its that route for me too..

as I say I'm not at the moment bothered about the agency, more so the training I receive and how proficient I become at Tech Diving..

Thank you for all of your insights.. I will deffinately be taking this up towards the end of this seasons work.. or during if I can fit a few things in..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom