Socks to avoid chafing in my boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDBuckley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all - I've started to experience chafing on the tops of my toes with my Aqualung 5mm boots (I use size large Seawing Nova fins.) It's mainly the tops of my toes and moderately uncomfortable after a few hours in the water over 2 days, so I'm thinking of adding a thinner pair of socks - something like a 1.5-3mm Akona or similar. Any advice or similar experiences with socks, either alone or inside boots to avoid chafing? I dive warm water and started getting chafing after ~3 dives in Cozumel recently. I'LL be diving in Indonesia next month, looking at buying socks to try there in addition to my boots. Advice or suggestions very welcome! Thanks everyone.

I recently did a dive trip and decided to forgo my socks as I was only diving two dives a day. My feet were trashed by day two. Luckily I brought a couple of pairs of Wetsox Originals and had no issues after. Makes it easier to get in and out of my wetsuit as well.

Hello all - I've started to experience chafing on the tops of my toes with my Aqualung 5mm boots (I use size large Seawing Nova fins.) It's mainly the tops of my toes and moderately uncomfortable after a few hours in the water over 2 days,
Had the same problem last week on a resort on GBR, I lost a fin [SP Go Sport] passing it up when a wave hit, 3 days into a 7 day trip, anyway, borrowed fins from the dive shop [Mares, cheaper style ones and flogged to death, with buckles that did not work vey well] and had the same problem, tried 2 pair with the same result, chafing on the top of my toes.
I am using the same 5mm Aqulung boots with either RK3, SP Go Sport or Mares Excite pro fins without this problem.
Is it the foot pocket not fitting right? The foot pocket was loose near the toes with the rentals [lent for free], and a good fit with my own fins, no chafing on the top of the toes.
Are the Seawing Nova fins a good fit and not too loose near the toes? Never tried them myself.
My 2 bubbles.

Google XS Scuba Beefy Socks. 4-way stretch polyolefin. stronger than Lycra and neutrally buoyant.

I love these sharkskin chillproof socks. My feet chafe super easily when wet. Nothing works better for me than these.

I recently did a dive trip and decided to forgo my socks as I was only diving two dives a day. My feet were trashed by day two. Luckily I brought a couple of pairs of Wetsox Originals and had no issues after. Makes it easier to get in and out of my wetsuit as well.
I have a pair of the Wetsox 1mm insulated model Been wearing them the last few weeks as I’m back to diving wet with it being so hot and humid. I previously used them Great Lakes wreck diving pre-plague. Really nice.

I seem to have lost my pair in the moving process. Can anyone recommend some cheap but servicable ones, preferably on Amazon?

I love these sharkskin childproof socks. My feet chafe super easily when wet. Nothing works better for me than these.

Here's some on clearance:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom