Socks to avoid chafing in my boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a Lycra sock guy. Actually I’m a Lycra body suit guy too. Under a 2/3mm full body suit for water like Maui, thicker as water gets cold.

I like the Lycra socks and suit. Prevents chafing in the feet, which has been an issue for me, and makes the wetsuit very easy on and off.

Any nylon or polyester socks will work. The cheap dressy type you can buy at places like Marshall's for $1.50 work just as well as special lycra socks $10/pair.

I wear anklet athletic socks. Synthetic (or wool) blend.

I get bad chafing and blisters on the backs of my ankles - pretty much any socks will prevent it, but I like these ones from Spacefish Army. They're a local Florida company, and come in tons of colorful/cool patterns. You can get matching headbands/rashguards etc:

They're made of recycled polyester/spandex, and a little thicker than other dive socks I've worn.

Thanks for all the great input everyone! I ordered the XS Scuba beefy and a pair of Sharkskin chillproof. @Rilelen I just bought the spadefish army black/octo leggings for the Indonesia trip. I think they'll work out, but I was surprised the mediums are too long - inseam feels like a 33-34 which was a surprise to me. I may try their socks if the two pair I just bought don't work out. Any sizing issues with the socks? I see they are a "one size fits most."

No trouble with the socks' sizing - I wear a women's shoe size 7-8, and the socks fit me and my two buddies (who wear a women's size 9 and a men's size 10ish) all equally well; they ordered their own in different patterns.

I find I'm in-between their medium and large sizes in their shorts/leggings; in-seam on the medium is about right but a little tight in the bottom, while in-seam on the large is far too long and everything's a bit too loose. They have pretty good customer service, and have been receptive to returns due to fit when I've contacted them.

I wear normal exercise socks under my booties, the same I wear to the gym. Never saw the need to buy “scuba socks”, these work great.

Just basic wool socks have been the best for me. They dry fast, don't smell, and I can wear them to fancy dinner if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom