Solo Diver worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To Sharky only, neither did mine--perhaps you need to quit doing exactly what again you accuse me of. My post was generic and I stand by it. I will not discuss it further with you--your not the grand master of language as to instruct me as to how to word my sentiments. I will thank you to mind your buisness and state your own thoughts and leave mine alone.

N

You know, I think I'll join the solo diver forum. I am genuinely curious about the mindset of solo divers. I know quite a few, several who cave dive solo. As I spend more time with the CCR folk, I am running into more and more solo divers.

Maybe I'll learn something...

This is only peripherally relevant, but I would like to see the mods remove any and all anti solo posts from the Solo Forum.

This thread exactly demonstrates why both the DIR and Solo Forum are specific to DIR and Solo divers and not for discussing the "mindset of solo divers" or mindset of DIR divers. Neither are exactly PC.

Actually, I am more interested in the mindset of why people would want to join a forum to which they are not participatory in the actual subject--solo diving. That should be interesting. I am really becoming interested in Fundies---perhaps I will join in the DIR forum--but those long hoses and I like my homemade can light on my tank and do D rings have to have a 30 degree approach angle or will a 25.42 degree bend be acceptable to the guru? That is the mindset I am interested in. I might get another MS out of that.

N

Well Nemrod,

I can't speak for all, but I tend to try to read about different things on the internet to learn. I was curious about DIR so I joined there. I was curious about RBs so I joined some forums. I was curious about technical diving, so I joined.

I think when a person stops being curious, they stop learning. And I have so much to learn about diving, that it would be a shame to not avail myself of the resources available to me.

As I noted, several of my buddies solo dive. Might be nice to understand them better.

I suppose one thing you might find out about solo divers is that absent some of the moderating influences a buddy or team system may provide, it can be easy to end up with more disparate views than "normal" divers.

You would certainly find concentrations of solo divers holding certain beliefs, of course, but there would also be the gamut from laissez-faire to near militant rigidity when it comes to solo diving. Even the term "solo" fails to find a consensus opinion on its use.

Of course, I have learned many things from solo divers, just as I have discounted many things. For my part, I'd welcome any solo-curious divers to the solo forum and only ask that they reserve any condemnations for elsewhere. I'm perfectly capable of answering questions as to why I solo dive, what I consider necessary to help mitigate what I believe are acceptable risks (and why those risks are acceptable to me), and what benefits I see in solo diving.

I like my homemade can light on my tank and do D rings have to have a 30 dgree approach angle or will a 5 degree bend be acceptable to the guru? That is the mindset I am interested in. I might get another MS out of that.

Totally off-subject-Nem, do you have a picture of how you mounted your light? I to have a home-made can light and am toying with options.

Dive Light.JPG

And to get back on Topic, I see nothing wrong with joining to see if it's for you as long as you act like a "guest" until you make up your mind.
But then again, I wouldn't go to an AA meeting and argue the positive merits of social drinking with those in attendance either.

Agree with Perrone. I lurk both the DIR and solo forum. I don't dive either, I'm just interested in their approach to diving. It helps me see things in a different light, which I may or may not adopt. At least I'll understand some diving techniques that are not by the "book".
Nemrod, I do get tired of some of the pro DIR rhetoric. But I agree, my comments would be highly innapropriate in the DIR forum and I won't post criticism there. I enjoy your posts (Nemrod) because you are a true iconoclast, and you remind us that a lot of people dive in a lot of different ways and no one is going to die simply because of the way they sling a SPG. Thanks for keeping us honest.

Have fun diving,
Steve

There's a lot of ways to dive. Some I agree with, some I don't. Some opinions have changed based on my increasing knowledge and understanding of the sport. And when you get right down to it, isn't that the point of a forum? To increase our breadth of knowledge about our favorite sport?

FishDiver:
This is only peripherally relevant, but I would like to see the mods remove any and all anti solo posts from the Solo Forum.
Feel free to report those posts. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom