Solo Diver worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also solo forum has divers already made the decision to do it or are about to. Where as in the other forum people argue about what IS the right way to do things.... and the under lying philosophy does not allow for much interpretation and by grace of certification levels, one is doing it better than others.....(at least that is what you see on the board, I stopped going there)

piikki:
If I join the Solo Diver Forum and it then shows on my profile, will people think I am a Solo Diver? And does it matter if they do?

:)

Just another Friday. Lake is still frozen.

Absolutely feel free to join to explore your interest & gain valuable knowledge of solo diving practices. Please adhere to the guidelines of the forum always keeping in mind:

NetDoc:
This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you!

As to being identified as a member of the Solo Divers group, you should be able to edit you Group Preferences to ensure that you are not given an unwanted user title. If not... PM El Orans! :rofl3: (OK, you can actually contact me too. :D )

El Orans:
Feel free to report those posts. :)
I hate the idea of becoming the forum cop. It doesn't suit my "live and let live" nature. I appreciate the offer and will take advantage of the report button in the future.

Nemrod:
Solo Forum rules:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This above is a quote from the Solo Forum RULES posted by NetDoc. It is further explained in the forum but the above quote is sufficiently concise and communicative, similar to the DIR Forum, trolling is not allowed.

Pay particular attention to the excerpt below of the (above) rules quotation:
"Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you"

I am truly sorry if this makes some unhappy but it is nonethless, THE RULES.

N
These are the rules I was referring to in my previous post. They are violated routinely on the Solo Forum despite the fact that everyone with access to the forum must agree to them as part of the opt in process.

There is nothing wrong with a diver listening in on the solo or other types of forums but there are rules on some of the forums we all agree to. I only used the DIR forum as an example because they also get tired of people busting in on their forum and rehashing over and over that which is not really open to discussion. Many would be surprised as to how close to DIR I actually am since I do come from a cave background. For the solo diving forum I get tired of the over and over threads:

1) "Is solo safe"
or
2) "Is it Ok to Solo."

Let me answer those two questions forever:

1)No it is not entirely safe (what constitues safe?)

2)Yes, it is Ok to Solo dive, we are adults and can choose our own destiny.

Solo divers by their nature are going to be very different from other diver sub groups. Often they are quite different from one another save for one thing, they like to operate as loners or at least don't mind it and even enjoy it.

N

Solo divers are true individualists. They are also extremely independent. Solo divers are also comfortable and confident in their skills and methods of diving and are usually right. You don't dive solo for long if you are a candidate for the Darwin awards. We also dive differently and prove that there is no one true way of diving solo.

BTW I didn't know that solo diver showed up on your profile. You learn something new every day. I don't mind someone who is curious about solo diving dropping by the forum to see what it is about. But no trolls or bashing I do not appreciate that. Also if you ask a question expect each one of us to give you a different answer, we are individualists after all.

AL

Nemrod:
Many would be surprised as to how close to DIR I actually am since I do come from a cave background.
also read: 'since we both came from a cave backgound'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom