Solo Diver worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could always begin each post with:
I do not dive solo, and my membership in the solo forum is merely for research purposes.

If the OP wants to join a forum to learn that makes all the sense in the world to me. Plan to be a lurker until you find yourself with a logical question that has not been beaten to death.

I became active on SB 1 year before I was certified. Granted I had immersed myself in some intensive skin-diving but I was not a scuba diver. Many people, like me prefer to be research heavy going into something. Sometimes doing the research cancels the interest.

As for what other will think, well if it bothers you that much I think you should listen to the voice. Granted in many circles solo diving is taboo but I would not liken it to going to a peepshow to learn about sex. Knowledge is your friend here. Listen with your eyes and ears.

Pete

Thanks for your opinions. I reveal a little why I asked the question. I am pretty much interested in all things scuba, so I was interested in taking a look at the Solo Forum. I then realized that the group membership gets listed on the user profile, and it kind of made me smirk.

Why? For some reason it stemmed from the fact that a lot of times DIR divers and Solo divers are pitted against each others as are the DIR and Solo forums here. Well, it just made me think that well, them Solo divers must be prouder or bolder folks because they don’t mind being publicly tagged. (As if I really thought so but some of you get what I mean). So, this post was made a bit in jest but the discussion that is going on in is very valid. I know the “label’ happens because one forum is opt-in while the other isn’t.

… But secretly I did think how my DIR friends will drag me behind the barn and beat me to smithereens… “Yeah right you were just curious” ..

P.S. Btw, not everyone exists to wreak havoc. Some of us know how to behave on both DIR and Solo forums - but maybe not on Basic Scuba :wink:

Until recently the DIR forum group membership was listed in profiles. I'm not sure why they changed that, but I found it amusing that my profile read DIR and Solo. :)
The fact is though, when I am diving a wreck in a team fashion we are all diving the same plan and procedures. I will never be considered DIR though because I truly enjoy solo diving as well. I love spending a long time in the same spot while the animals get used to me being there. Their curiousity makes them check me out. I get interractions I could not get while buddy diving.

I'm looking everywhere for this solo forum, where is it?

Solo Forum rules:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This above is a quote from the Solo Forum RULES posted by NetDoc. It is further explained in the forum but the above quote is sufficiently concise and communicative, similar to the DIR Forum, trolling is not allowed.

Pay particular attention to the excerpt below of the (above) rules quotation:
"Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you"

I am truly sorry if this makes some unhappy but it is nonethless, THE RULES.

N

Nemrod:
Solo Forum rules:
"This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This above is a quote from the Solo Forum RULES posted by NetDoc. It is further explained in the forum but the above quote is sufficiently concise and communicative, similar to the DIR Forum, trolling is not allowed.

Pay particular attention to the excerpt below of the (above) rules quotation:
"Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you"

I am truly sorry if this makes some unhappy but it is nonethless, THE RULES.

N

Since I have not been there yet: Do DIR or non-Solo divers show more respect on Solo diving forum than the non-DIR divers show for DIR divers on DIR forum?

As far as I gather a lot of time on the DIR forum is spend fighting old wars because the forum is not respected. People who have no interest in (quite the opposite) diving DIR participate in there (in more ways than lurking). Is Solo more protected because of the opt-in?

I have no interest in trolling the Solo Forum, my interest is actually if there is a difference in the way these forums function because of the way they are organized.

piikki:
Is Solo more protected because of the opt-in?

I have no interest in trolling the Solo Forum, my interest is actually if there is a difference in the way these forums function because of the way they are organized.
You may have a point there. DIR is open to everyone, solo is by actual sign up...

I think that the solo forum is a bit quieter and less kaotic than the DIR forum, probably because solo divers don't practice with buddies. :) There really isn't much to argue about- how to carry redundant gas, when not to solo dive, how much gas is enough, how to use the search feature, etc. :)

Solo diving isn't for everyone- diving is generally a social sport, but some people have reasons why they solo.

Back
Top Bottom