Solo diving after AOW ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

If I ever get out of teaching...I'm going to be an endorser of solo diving....:D With the proper training or gear config. anyway.:)

Sidemount sump divers have the proper training, equipment and the need. OTOH, the SDI solo course is just a bunch of happy horse cookies to sell to the tourists.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

the SDI solo course is just a bunch of happy horse cookies to sell to the tourists.

I figured as much. I've thought of also picking up MDEA out of Nashville just so I can teach SOLO diving....

I think "teach solo diving" is a contradiction in terms.

How do you evaluate a student if you're not there? If you're there the student isn't diving solo. Do you skip evaluating the student or do you certify them to dive solo without ever having done it?

Maybe they'll make it one of those classes that doesn't require dives. LOL A diver could just come in the shop and get the card for showing log book documentation of having survived some solo dives.

How do you evaluate a student if you're not there? If you're there the student isn't diving solo. Do you skip evaluating the student or do you certify them to dive solo without ever having done it?

Well, I don't think that makes much sense. You could say the same thing about taking your drivers test or something like that. Motorcyle licsense, pilots permits, etc. etc.... The list could go on and on and on.

How do you evalute your students once they are out on their own? Answer: You don't.

If you want to go this far...Then why are SCUBA instructors even neccessary with the books and video's now a days. You could just take your test and mail it in to the appropriate agency.

Maybe they'll make it one of those classes that doesn't require dives. LOL A diver could just come in the shop and get the card for showing log book documentation of having survived some solo dives.

Furthermore if someone needs to be taught to solo dive they're not ready.

R..

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Well, I don't think that makes much sense. You could say the same thing about taking your drivers test or something like that. Motorcyle licsense, pilots permits, etc. etc.... The list could go on and on and on.

How do you evalute your students once they are out on their own? Answer: You don't.

If you want to go this far...Then why are SCUBA instructors even neccessary with the books and video's now a days. You could just take your test and mail it in to the appropriate agency.

The only reason they came up with a solo cert was so all the traveling single had a card to show the DM and the DM could let them go and have a better legal leg to stand on.

I know about 5 instructors who can teach a solo class. Two were signed off by default and would never teach such a rediculous class, one I can't talk about and two who never did a solo dive in their lives until they became an instructor for it. The SDI course standards say that among the redundant air alternatives manifolded or independant doubles can be used. Neither one of these instructors has ever dived doubles or even assembled a set. Neither could teach or demonstrate valve shutdowns.

The whole thing is just a big joke as far as I'm concerned.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

where do you think I learned how to lock-horns. ;-)

What I meant by that is I like to challenge your thinking because in the process I can learn something about DIR. I do actually think you have something of value to offer....... If *you* learn something in the process then good but I don't expect you to be open to argumentation at this point. You're too committed to the DIR paradigm to be open to anything and I know it.

BTW I've seen the way you get trashed on rec.scuba. It's not pretty but it's not really fair either. rec.scuba isn't really a diving forum. Its a dumping ground for the deeply disturbed who occasionally scuba dive. I've always wondered why you keep going back for more...... letting them rot in their little cesspool seems like a perfectly appropriate thing to do.....

R..

I have no problem having people challenge us with questions. I believe we can support all aspects of our system, what I don't like is those that want to argue just to stir the pot. As you noted rec.scuba is no longer a diving forum. I used to like that forum, but in the last year or so it's gone so far down into the toilet that all the people I used to like to exchange ideas with have long since moved on. It became a waste of time posting there because a small select few have taken over the list, sadly most of the loudest mouths on that list are the ones that know the least about diving, so I unsubscribed a week or so ago and haven't missed it for a second.

Later

The only reason they came up with a solo cert was so all the traveling single had a card to show the DM and the DM could let them go and have a better legal leg to stand on.
The whole thing is just a big joke as far as I'm concerned.

Yes. That's why I have to buy the card.

Take all advice for what it's worth of course.

Your dark/cold diving experience over qualifies you for diving in the Caribbean. Diving in the Caribbean is a joke compared to diving in quarries or other locations with cold/dark water. Of course it's why we go to these locations! It's extremely easy diving and of course it's the best diving in the world if like most you like vis and warm temps and colorful sealife. On any dive boat if you say you have experience in cold/dark water they know you are more experienced and comfortable than those without that experience. (With the same number of dives - 50 Carib vs. 50 in a quarry - the diver with 50 in a quarry will have more skills).

Like any new environment be smart and get the scoop. Ask about any unusual areas or currents. Ask about any sealife to avoid. Like on any dive - watch your gauges and follow a plan. It's easier to loose track of your depth in the dark than it is in 150' vis because you have no fixed visual reference. However, you can of course go really deep without realizing it because it does not *feel* as deep in the clear vis. You don't have the same visual ques. Take that advice as a common denomenator - it's easy to go deep if you do not pay attention to your depth.

It cracks me up when Caribbean divers try to say their diving is the same or in any remote way more difficult than diving in the Northeast US or Canada or quarries in Belgium or such. I wish I could dive in the Caribbean all the time but I live in Massachusetts so I am stuck with the conditions!

--Matt

Good question, there is a guy near me that teachs SDI's solo class so maybe I'll ask him. Oh, wait... I can't. He died diving solo last summer! (true story)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom