Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Greg G.
I've always dived with a redundant air source, I've never trusted the standard octo off the same first stage. I used a Spare Air for a while, then switched to a pony bottle. My only gripe about SA is that it's just not a good buy. The only reason I picked up the larger model was I got it for a reasonable price. I would not recommend anyone paying full price for it, the doubles SA and nitrox versions are a joke, and so is the standard model for that matter, but only because of the price. Your money is better spent on a pony bottle and another first stage.

Yeah I agree, Spare Air is a piece of junk! Besides, if you're diving in the recreational world there is no reason that you can't ascend on that last breath right to the surface. SA is a luxury, not a necessity. Spend your money on better training rather than Spare Air.

My instructor always said "what's the number one rule in scuba diving?" No matter what we always had to say, "DON'T DIVE ALONE, DIVE WITH A BUDDY!" Now, no matter what, I never dive alone, never will dive alone, and don't let anyone else I know dive alone. I highly do NOT recommend solo diving.

Rick, the amberjack theory of drowning is certainly correct. Spearing an amberjack on SCUBA is dangerous to novices or those who may react slowly. I usually spear them while freediving which allows me to stay well above the fish. The dangerous part here is retrieving the fish. Fortunately, a limp jack is usually dead. Not so with some other fish such as cobia.

When SCUBA diving, never spear a jack with a gun which is rigged with cable, use line. Immediately after the fish is speared it will power away, when it feels the tether it will shoot off to the side, spiral around and wrap up the diver. The diver must twist in the same direction as the fish to avoid being bound up.

An incident for solo divers and all spearfishermen to consider. This occurred off VA Beach a few years ago in which a diver was bound and brought to the surface by a jack; the diver survived but had to undergo chamber treatment.

Walter,

I guess we were taught different things.
My instructor said the number one rule was to dive with a buddy in case something were to go wrong--something that could make you hold your breath. Like running out of air (if you ever went complacent). The second rule was to never hold our breath.
We're two different generations, and people change as the years pass...
There's nothing we can do about it except to not break either of the two; in any order.

Mel

Originally posted by mskaprocki
My instructor always said "what's the number one rule in scuba diving?" No matter what we always had to say, "DON'T DIVE ALONE, DIVE WITH A BUDDY!" Now, no matter what, I never dive alone, never will dive alone, and don't let anyone else I know dive alone. I highly do NOT recommend solo diving.

The number one rule is SCUBA is not to never dive alone!! The number one rule in SCUBA is NEVER STOP BREATHING!!!!!!! Also I don't recommend it to everyone, but as my instructor has said many times "At my level most of my dives are done on a solo basis." This coming from a Platinum Pro.

I like that as the #1 Rule--"never stop breathing", especially for long periods of time! If we chose to dive solo or as a buddy (both are okay if they are done safely and by competent divers), let us all remember to just relax, breathe and enjoy life. Of course, we're all going to stop breathing at some point, even the safest divers!

I have been reading this thread with great interest. There are certainly valid points all around. I dive with a buddy, and as a member of our SAR team I dive alone, although often with a tender and safety diver nearby. My preference is to dive with a buddy. While it is very important to be able to get yourself out of trouble, a buddy is also important to help should you become incapacitated for whatever reason. Or should you have moment of stupidity (and we all have had one or two of those)!! ages

If the thought of diving alone concerns you, do not do it.

If you are confident in your diving skills and equipment, and have a reason or need to dive solo, then I would recommend taking the SDI Solo Diver course. There are many factors to consider when diving alone and taking the course will prepare you better. Proper Solo Diving is all about redundancy and planning. Mimimizing risks and not putting yourself into situations that may cause problems..

I found that I prefer some things about solo diving. You don't have to wait on anyone getting ready. I feel less responsibility as someone else's safety net.

Also, since using a completely redundant air supply, I find I will not dive without it even when with a buddy.

For me, solo diving allows me to dive anytime I can, not anytime I and my buddy's schedules can. Of course, few places will allow it but I am fortunate that a local place (Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL) does. So, I use my solo diving time to get better at other skills for specialties and certifications I am persuing. I recently got my Cavern Diver cert (considering Cave diving) and find even though I learned reel usage, I am not a pro at it. I spend alot of solo diving time getting better at that, better at bouyancy, air consumption and dive planning.

I will also say that I have done one solo dive in the ocean at night on a small wreck. I had done the same dive the night before with a group. Solo is much more intimidating than diving with a buddy. You need to have good panic control...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom