Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill-da-ho

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is there a padi course for this? I know I'm a newbee, but was just curious because eventually I'll be doin this. no, I dont expect it will be any time soon, but was curious about the training and or special equipment that is needed. thanks for your comments.

Is there a padi course for this? I know I'm a newbee, but was just curious because eventually I'll be doin this. no, I dont expect it will be any time soon, but was curious about the training and or special equipment that is needed. thanks for your comments.
I think the general idea here is that once you have the experience to be ready for solo diving, you should have gained the knowledge to know how. Your first solo dive is typically with a buddy in the water anyways, so learn from that.

Padi does not offer a solo course. SDI is the only agency I know with this certification and you have to be a Rescue diver with a minimum of 100 logged dives to take the course.

PADI preaches the buddy system as do most other dive agencies.

Its not something I, personally, would be concerned with right now as a fellow noob.. There are so many other areas that you can take the sport to and Im not really concerned about being able to dive by myself. While some find it relaxing, i personally dont get it. I like to skin dive with friends (haven't really been down to much with a tank, i imagine its the same idea) and doing it by yourself is just not the same, imo.

Alhtough it is something you can consider further down in your diving career, but you should fully aware of what you're getting into and be fully prepared to get yourself out of any trouble that you do get into. Ultimately you have to be responsible for yourself and even though people can not reccommend it, its you're the one deciding what you're going to do. Just be smart about it.

Solo diving is nothing to be taken lightly. You must first gain experience and be TOTALLY dependant on yourself when and if the S*** hits the fan. Redundancy and self confidence in your diving skills are something that will come with practice and time. You are the only one that will know when the time is right, hopefully you won't screw up the time and place. I only solo in my home grounds, I know every square inch of the place, I'd never solo an unknown location.

I doubt PADi will condone solo diving anytime soon as one of their basic mantras is the buddy system.

I am currently in the process of training myself for solo diving. In my opinion, what you want to do first is read. There is a wealth of information on the web and a book by Robert Von Maier of the same title.

Solo diving is not rocket science nor is it hyper-technical diving unless you are going into caves by yourself or diving to depths where exotic mixes of gases are needed, etc. The bottom line is that you need to think very hard about what a buddy would do for you if you got into trouble and make arrangements for an alternate solution.

For example: if your air supply fails and you are with a buddy, you go to the surface sharing their air. Solo? You carry a pony bottle system. Your mask comes off and gets lost? Your buddy guides you, if solo, you carry a spare mask...etc., etc., etc.

von Maier says that you should not solo dive past twice your free dive depth and that is superb advice. You should also be very fit and an expert on your equipment and it's capabilities.

One way to train is to buddy dive and pretend you don't have a buddy. That way, you can practice emergency actions, but with a buddy around in case something goes awry. Of course, your buddy needs to understand that you are doing this and you need signals that allow you to "exit solo mode" if need be.

von Maier says that you should not solo dive past twice your free dive depth and that is superb advice.

IMHO that is ridiculous advice.

No idea how deep I can freedive. 25 feet maybe? So I should not solo deeper than 50 feet? Why?? Bolting for the surface is never part of my plan so what does it matter how deep I can freedive?

As Ian says, the quote makes no sense.

I have heard people say: "You should be able to do a CESA safely from a depth which is twice the limit to which you can freedive." There is some logic to this, but I do not know if it is true as a general rule. Anyway, it has nothing specific to do with solo diving.

I will suggest, as general principles:

1) If you aren't sure whether you are ready to solo dive, you aren't ready;

2) If you think you would benefit from a course in solo diving, you aren't ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom