SOLVED: Wreck Raider Dive Charter -- No Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't disagree with that but I think it's premature to draw a conclusion. Unexpected events - even emergencies - can happen which are nobody's "fault" and don't afford an immediate opportunity for explanation.

I'm trying to imagine an explanation. I doubt the charter is out of business but decided to book the diver, charge his card, and hope he wouldn't notice or complain.

No it isn't, he booked a dive and received no call that it was canceled and he did everything he should have as the customer. Short of an alien abduction, being in jail or a tragic circumstance there is no excuse for him not to have received a notice--the day before--so he could re-book another operator--period. Enough of this fly by night stuff. Same thing with me in the Keys. N

Im suprized that he isnt on here yet. He usually ckecks this site quite regularly. Most operators in town here look at this as one of the three busiest weekends of the season.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

An email has been sent to the dive op.

No it isn't, he booked a dive and received no call that it was canceled and he did everything he should have as the customer. Short of an alien abduction, being in jail or a tragic circumstance there is no excuse for him not to have received a notice--the day before--so he could re-book another operator--period. Enough of this fly by night stuff. Same thing with me in the Keys. N

The fact that a notice was not received does not mean a notice was not sent, or attempted to be sent.

What about the other passengers? The op made no mention of seeing anyone else showing up ready to dive and finding themselves in (out?) of the same boat. When I specifically asked, the op never responded. I know you have your own boat but should appreciate how busy this part of Florida is in the summer. I know firsthand how hard it is to find an open spot on the weekend on short notice, so I find it incredibly unlikely that the op was the only diver booked on a Sunday charter. So where were the other divers? They apparently got the notice. Either that or they showed up at the right dock and are out on the water with the captain.

Just got back to my hotel room and there's a voicemail in my cellphone from the dive op. The dive op, Rod, apologized for the mix up, he said, he canceled the trip and had left me a message at my home number on July 4th at around 3:30pm. Rod also offered to let me dive for free and was willing to pay for my gas for the trek back to Panama City Beach. Little problem about leaving a message in my home answering machine. Home is in Texas and right now, I'm Florida.
Anyway, that cleared up the mix up, but I'm still miffed the fact that I called him 3 times the day before the dive and never once returned my call.
Will I take him up on his free dive offer? Probably not. After the incident, I decided to book a trip with Dive Pros for the Oriskany dive and Emerald Scuba for the local Destin dives.

I have no doubt Wreck Raiders provides a great service, based on what other SBers have said, unfortunately, not the case for me. I put a lot of weight what folks in SBers say and still do:) In short, Rod's apology and free dive offer is good enough for getting this whole mix up sorted out. In the end, I just a days dive, 2 tablets of Dramamine, and a few gallons of gas -- in a grand scheme of things.

On a lighter note, I've been in Destin for 3 days now and must say this place, food and its people are awesome. I should've been here eons ago..

Safe diving...

On a lighter note, I've been in Destin for 3 days now and must say this place, food and its people are awesome. I should've been here eons ago..

go check out Deweys Destin Seafood on the bay (not the Harbor). It's fish basket food, but great. perfect for going to for lunch after getting off the dive boat. (ok to go in swimsuits to the harbor location. take Hwy 98 towards FWB until you get to the Destin bridge. Turn right on Calhoun, the last street before the bridge. turn left at the 3rd driveway entrance and go between the buildings and you eat at the shack on the dock at the end of the driveway.)

If you want a great grouper plate, goto Piccolo's Red Bar in Santa Rosa Beach off 30A. it's about a 30 minute drive from Destin, but the food is worth it. (advise get there early. they are are cash only, no credit cards, FYI.). Even though there are some great places in Destin, the grouper here just rocks and is worth the drive).

we should start a "Destin Eats" thread in Deep Dixie Divers forum, there are so many great places to eat there.

Mike, thanks for the dining recommendations, will definitely try both Deweys and Piccolos.
I have to agree, the number of restaurants in Destin is outrageous:)

Enrique, I would have been pissed off too about the whole situation. It's understandable your mad. But I do hope you reconsider and take Rod up on his offer, especially if your still in the area. I went out with him about 2 months ago and it was a great trip. I think he would more than make up for any inconvenience. It's one thing for a business to totally ignore a customer, but when they try to make up for their mistake or causing problems, then it tells me that they are willing to try.

Redbar also books some pretty good live music :) I've never eaten there, just gone to listen to the music. That being said, its a CRAPPY venue to listen to music unless you have seating already to eat. There are only a few couches and the bar(which is in a different room) for anyone who just wants to listen to the music.

There was another surf-n-turf place, just down the road from the Redbar. It opened up about a month ago and its pretty good, more seating and less crowds(its new and hasn't caught on yet). I can't remember the name of the place. Both places are pricey though, and in Grayton Beach.

Try Callahan's in Destin for a great sandwich, its behind a bank, but right off of Hwy 98, kinda in the vicinity of Popeyes if I remember correctly.

Callahan's and Dewey's are my two favorite places in the Destin area :wink: Well... McGuires too, but there's one in Pensacola as well.

The fact that a notice was not received does not mean a notice was not sent, or attempted to be sent.

What about the other passengers? The op made no mention of seeing anyone else showing up ready to dive and finding themselves in (out?) of the same boat. When I specifically asked, the op never responded. I know you have your own boat but should appreciate how busy this part of Florida is in the summer. I know firsthand how hard it is to find an open spot on the weekend on short notice, so I find it incredibly unlikely that the op was the only diver booked on a Sunday charter. So where were the other divers? They apparently got the notice. Either that or they showed up at the right dock and are out on the water with the captain.

Sounds like there was attempted communication and it just dropped through the cracks, good for both they have worked it out. Being stood up for a dive is sorta like being stood up for prom. Of course, that day is gone forever, cannot get it back. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom