SOLVED: Wreck Raider Dive Charter -- No Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back to my hotel room and there's a voicemail in my cellphone from the dive op. The dive op, Rod, apologized for the mix up, he said, he canceled the trip and had left me a message at my home number on July 4th at around 3:30pm. Rod also offered to let me dive for free and was willing to pay for my gas for the trek back to Panama City Beach. Little problem about leaving a message in my home answering machine. Home is in Texas and right now, I'm Florida.
Anyway, that cleared up the mix up, but I'm still miffed the fact that I called him 3 times the day before the dive and never once returned my call.
Will I take him up on his free dive offer? Probably not. After the incident, I decided to book a trip with Dive Pros for the Oriskany dive and Emerald Scuba for the local Destin dives.

I have no doubt Wreck Raiders provides a great service, based on what other SBers have said, unfortunately, not the case for me. I put a lot of weight what folks in SBers say and still do:) In short, Rod's apology and free dive offer is good enough for getting this whole mix up sorted out. In the end, I just a days dive, 2 tablets of Dramamine, and a few gallons of gas -- in a grand scheme of things.

On a lighter note, I've been in Destin for 3 days now and must say this place, food and its people are awesome. I should've been here eons ago..

Safe diving...

Except for that ugly green condo and few dozen more almost as bad. You once could be out of sight of land about 12 miles out, now I have to empty my fuel tank not to see that ugly monstrosity poking over the horizon. I have not made a run to the Timber Holes from Destin in a while now but plan to in a few weeks, I wonder if that green condo will still be visible.

Good luck, hope your diving works out for you.

N

I appreciate everyones post in my support. Unfortunately this gentleman left me a contact number that was not his cell number. I had several cancellations (I guess due to fireworks or something as it was July the 4th). I called the number given with the reservation and left clear instructions that we needed to change/cancel trip on the day prior. I know this b/c the number he called from morning of the trip didn't match the number given. When I got his message I immediately called him. I left him a message regarding the incorrect contact number and also offered to dive him for free and give him gas money as well. I also offered my sincere apology for not having the correct number - only the one I was given. He has not called back - just this ugly post.

I was disappointed upon being told of this post, but felt encouraged by my supporters.

Just a tip - not meant as blame - when I book travel reservations I *only* give my cell number to avoid this issue. In fact, I seldom give my home number out at all anymore. I figure people need to get in touch with me, not my house. And my cell is almost always with me, home or away.

There is nothing fun about a cancelled dive (unless it means you get to dive somewhere else), and I haven't dived with the Wreck Raider, but I am looking to book with Rod for a trip a few weeks from now, and he has always been quick to respond to my emails / voice mails. I second the statement to give your cell phone number. Why would you want someone to call your house, when you're on vacation. That doesn't make much sense...

Just a tip - not meant as blame - when I book travel reservations I *only* give my cell number to avoid this issue. In fact, I seldom give my home number out at all anymore. I figure people need to get in touch with me, not my house. And my cell is almost always with me, home or away.

I thought earlier about posting a similar suggestion.

when I was down in the panhandle a couple weeks ago and booked a boat trip, the dive shop asked me for a "Local number at the beach where we can get a hold of you in case of weather cancellation issues, etc"

I have to say that subzero may be the op's IQ as he has the audacity to post slanderous remarks about a dive operator when it turns out to be his fault? Where's his apology to Wreck Raider for trying to burn the guy? Am I missing something here?

Nope.. You hit the nail in the head. I think he should apoligize.

I have to say that subzero may be the op's IQ as he has the audacity to post slanderous remarks about a dive operator when it turns out to be his fault? Where's his apology to Wreck Raider for trying to burn the guy? Am I missing something here?

Enrique (subzero)
You have slandered a good dive operator because of your misinformation.
You gave him the wrong contact info and blame him for not contacting you.
He offered you a free dive and pay your gas for something you messed up. He has gone above and beyond to help you out of your own mistake.

An apology is definitely in order and in your own words

"I'd love to hear his lame excuse for wasting my time."

Enrique (subzero)
You have slandered a good dive operator because of your misinformation.
You gave him the wrong contact info and blame him for not contacting you.
He offered you a free dive and pay your gas for something you messed up. He has gone above and beyond to help you out of your own mistake.

An apology is definitely in order and in your own words

"I'd love to hear his lame excuse for wasting my time."
Or perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle. While we can vouch for wreckraiders credibility, there really isnt a way to verify any facts here. Its he said, he said. Given wreckraider offered to make it good, whether he needed to or not, I would consider the issue settled, and lessons learned. No need to further insult anyone.

Rob aka Wreck Raider, my name is subzero but as you can see I have changed my name to reefhound, so be sure to book my free dive under reefhound, ok? p.s. I'll save my gas receipts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom