Some suggestions, please??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot agree that, for every face, there is a mask out there which will fit without leaking. Some of us (hopefully only a few) are doomed to dive forever with a leaking mask. I am in that category (Yes, I have tried virtually every mask on the market over the last few years). After 50 - 75 dives, mask clearing becomes instinctive to the point that you may not even realize you are doing it. You can still enjoy diving as much as the next guy - you just use a bit more air in order to clear your mask every 60 seconds or so.

The LDS can instruct you how to properly try on a mask, but basically what you should do is just hold it to your face and breathe in through your nose, it should stick to your face without leaking in air without using the strap..

As for clearing.. you can infact lift the bottomn of the mask from your face while blowing through your mask to "drain" it while diving, as long as you dont pull it too far out. Holding the top of the mask to your forehead and tilting the bottomn slightly away from your face and blowing through your nose will work even when under water. Air is lighter than water, so itll wanna fill the void in your mask and press the water out..

(and if this has already been mentioned, just ignore me)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Perhaps I should add that as far as the weights go my intent was to get to where I was at "snorkel depth", then put ask and snorkel on, blow out the snorkel and try to the clear the mask and then repeat. I wasn't planning on weighting myself to the bottom at 14' or anything. When I was younger and snorkeled a lot, I used to use a weight belt to make myself slightly less bouyant so when I wanted to go down to look at something I could do it with less effort and stay down a few seconds more. I am a pretty bouyant guy. On the other hand, this was back when our masks were large ovals made of rubber.

Also, I am already swimming (well, swimming/floating/coasting) 8-10 laps a couple times a week and routinely climb 12 flights (floors) of stairs per day, so I think I'll be okay on stamina and won't pop an artery or anything.

I have tried all the masks at the two local dive shops, and none seem to fit my nose right except maybe a scubapro crystalvu that I saw last weekend and which I will try out. I didn't actually care for it that much, but if it works....

I usually test a mask by putting a snorkel mouthpiece in my mouth, holding my breath and "suctioning" the mask to my face slightly to see if it will seal. Unfortunately, I can get some masks to seal pretty well above water but then they leak when it matters. I also can breathe fine through a snorkel with no mask so I'm hoping that doing so on a regulator will be okay. I haven't tied swimming with just a snorkel, perhaps I'll give that a try, although I am not quite sure how you get it to stay in place.

I have never used a regulator, maybe that alone will solve my clearing problem. I will have to wait to see on that. Perhaps also it is easier to clear a mask under water. When clearing at the surface while snorkeling I have some limitation on how much I can tilt my head up before my head is out of the water anyway. I will check out the masks in the shops again, and will continue the surface swimming, treading, etc.

Again, thank for you suggetions and help.

First off - clearing with a reg is far easier, as you have a greater range of motion and are already fully submerged.

Secondly, I dive a Scubapro Crystal Vu - I love it. It fit me best out of the masks I tried. I also have two Hydro Optix masks on order that I'll be testing out next month (if they work, great, if not they go on eBay).

This may sound odd, but students I've worked with in the pool and have a problem clearing the mask I tell them to try this....

Next time your in the shower, fill the mask with water, lean down put it on and clear it using the method your instructor taught you.

This does a couple things for you:
1) Gets you used to having water on your nose and face without coughing/gagging.

This will happen from time to time. You'll crack smile or start luaghing because your dive buddy does something silly or stupid and the next thing you know your mask is 1/2 full of water and you're clearing it.

2) Simply practicing the mechanics of clearing will make you better, period.

I know it sounds odd as a suggestion, but for the students that have had problems and actually tried this they say it works and made it easier for them to do. If you can't get a pool, try the shower and fill the mask up and put it on. It's the next best thing.

Good Luck with Class!!

I doubt anyone was losing sleep worrying about my mask issues, but I thought I would update: I went ahead and did the discover scuba with my son. I also found a mask that leaks only a little. You folks were right, clearing while on a reg is much easier than while snorkeling. I had to clear it several times during the evening due to the slow leak, and had no problems except it sometimes took more than one exhalation to clear it completely. They had us do a partial flood and clear as part of the session and I did that with no problem (since I had already done that 3-4 times out of necessity anyway). Although not part of the "class" my son and I asked if we remove, replace and clear our masks also, as this was worrying my son some. The instructor took us aside and let us, and those went just fine.

Mask is pretty high volume so I will keep trying others to find one I can clear more quickly, but at least I CAN clear a mask while diving and the one I have will work until I find better. Thanks for the input.

Hey here's an idea I didn't see yet, I also am blessed with laugh lines. when first putting on your mask "stretch" your face before putting the mask on. Kinda like opening your mouth but keeping your lips together. (look in the mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about) I find that's about the only way i can get a good seal on mine. but I also find that once I laugh or start smiling while under water the leaks start and from that point on I'm clearing pretty regularly. see if that helps and let us know how it goes. Later GDWTVB (PS I got this tip from the owner of my LDS)

I'll try that.

In the meantime I try to never smile while wearing the mask. I find that if I ignore my surroundings and think only of finances, politics and work it helps to keep me from smiling.

By the way, gluing the mask to your face with Elmer's glue to keep it from leaking doesn't work....white glue is water soluble.

I'm reluctant to try Crazy Glue to seal the mask to my face, as later mask removal might be painful.

I'm thinking of applying high heat to the skirt to melt the silicone then sticking it on my face right away and see if that will create a good seal.

OK, I'm done, just feeling a little silly at the moment.

gdwtvb:
Hey here's an idea I didn't see yet, I also am blessed with laugh lines. when first putting on your mask "stretch" your face before putting the mask on. Kinda like opening your mouth but keeping your lips together. (look in the mirror and you'll see what I'm talking about) I find that's about the only way i can get a good seal on mine. but I also find that once I laugh or start smiling while under water the leaks start and from that point on I'm clearing pretty regularly. see if that helps and let us know how it goes. Later GDWTVB (PS I got this tip from the owner of my LDS)
Now that you mention it.. I sort of do that instinctively when putting the mask on, however I do it for a more comfy placement of the mask..
Guess its just a habit ive learned from snorkeling since.. i could swim or so..

You could try a mask with an oval glass pane like the old nemrod ones. I've heard of one guy who preferres his above all other masks because he has a large nose. You would have to find one on Ebay or something because they are no longer produced.

Back
Top Bottom