Some Wing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the 45lb Signature Wing for my single tank dives and use the rear pull dump almost exclusively as well. I have noticed that on the few occasions I have used the lpi hose to dump that I had significantly more water in the bladder than the small amount it normally has when just using the rear pull dump.

I also dive an Oxycheq 45 and I am wondering how you avoid using the inflator to dump on ascent? Seems like unless you can ascend feet-up you'd have to? I use the rear dump valve to adjust trim but on ascent I am dumping from the inflator.

I'm confused, ascent or descent? I use the inflator to dump on descent and I also use it for trim. I have not used the dump valve yet, though I used to use it on my previous BC. I just haven't gotten used to use it yet. I hang onto it quite a bit since I have had problems with it swaying out of my reach if I let it go. Unfortunately I am broad shouldered and reaching back to grab the inflator if it sways out of my way is quite a task. I will definitely have to find some way of attaching it down with a bungee or retractor or something.

Hmm, I almost *never* use the rear dump on an OxyCheq 30. I use the inflator for both deflating and inflating, and get hardly any water in the wing - on my honeymoon, I did 10 dives, and at the end of the trip, emptied the wing and maybe 3/4 a cup of water came out after 10 dives.

It's simply a matter of not holding down the deflate button when dumping if there's no air left to dump! I often see people holding the button down in vain when trying to dump air - if there's no bubbles coming out, water's going in.

I used to get heaps of water in the wing at first, but after a while I realised what was happening - I was holding the button down while descending, the wing was empty or near empty, and all I was doing was letting water run down inside the inflator into the wing. With practise you can dump almost all of the air in the wing while still on the surface before descending, and when you need to dump while underwater as your tank lightens or as you ascend, there's air bubbling out that pretty much prevents water entering.

Night Diver:
I also dive an Oxycheq 45 and I am wondering how you avoid using the inflator to dump on ascent? Seems like unless you can ascend feet-up you'd have to? I use the rear dump valve to adjust trim but on ascent I am dumping from the inflator.

It's not difficult if you ascend in a horizontal position. In that position, the rear dump valve is the highest point on your wing, and the place the air naturally migrates to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think a simple summary can be made from the posts made by the experienced Oxycheq divers here. I believe it all adds up to practice, practice, practice, which means dive, dive, dive. Finally, all that effort equals a whole lot of fun, at least to me it does. :D

Back
Top Bottom